Architecture's differences between off-road RVs and normal motorhomes

ufranceschi

Hi people,

Maybe this is a novice question, but, I am really new in this expedition business.

I live in Brazil. There are some motorhomes companies around here, but they are not familiarized with the off-road expeditions RVs. I don't know why this kind of business in a large country like Brazil is pratically nonexistent...

We don't have anything similar to UNICAT, GXV, EarthRoamer, Bimobil, Bliss Mobil, Action Mobil around here. Just conventional trailers and motorhomes companies.

So, if I want something close to the off-road RVs that these amazing companies build, I'll have to buy a 4x4 truck (something like an Mercedes-Benz Atego) and customize it according to my requirements with their engineers team.

I believe that many things in the architecture between both vehicles' styles are the same: energy, water supply and filtering, some forniture, bathroom. However, I believe that there are many other differences and particularities in building an off-road RV that they are not familiarized. Chassi, suspension, furniture particularities, and so on.

If you were in my place, what kind of requirements would you list to make sure that the company has the necessary expertise? What are the architecture differences between this two RV styles (off-road and "on-road")?

Thank you a lot!

java

Expedition Leader
What are your plans for the truck? Makes a HUGE difference? Real off road/trials or just bad dirt roads?

I would make sure you get something that is metal framed, not wood. Watch departure angle, height and width. A "quality" RV interior should hold up ok, they have gotten a lot better over the years.

I have taken my Winnebago RV on some bad dirt roads, but the rear overhang and overall size are killer around here where there are trees overgrowing the roads everywhere. Also being almost 12k lbs, makes it want to sink in soft stuff without huge tires, i run 215/85/16's, and havent been stuck yet, but it takes an even bigger truck to get me out, so I have been careful.

red EOD veteran

Adventurer
Lots of construction differences to think about.

Durability
Ground clearance
Traction (will you need 4wd or more? Lockers? Tires)
Fuel capacity, more for offroad vehicles due to the more remote locations.
Metal frame for the camper

ufranceschi

What are your plans for the truck? Makes a HUGE difference? Real off road/trials or just bad dirt roads?

I would make sure you get something that is metal framed, not wood. Watch departure angle, height and width. A "quality" RV interior should hold up ok, they have gotten a lot better over the years.

I have taken my Winnebago RV on some bad dirt roads, but the rear overhang and overall size are killer around here where there are trees overgrowing the roads everywhere. Also being almost 12k lbs, makes it want to sink in soft stuff without huge tires, i run 215/85/16's, and havent been stuck yet, but it takes an even bigger truck to get me out, so I have been careful.

Thank you java,
In fact, I think I will use the EV 80% in roads, 15% in dirty roads and 5% in some trials, sand and dunes. So, because of this 5%, I must consider some 4x4 off-road requirements like torsion-free chassi, departure angle (minumum 20/25%???), a quality interior and overall body structure...

The link that dwh just replied before is AWESOME. I don't think anything is missing there. Maybe just the Motorcycle and bicycle garage... I don't think that keep both outside the vehicle is a good idea....

ufranceschi

Lots of construction differences to think about.

Durability
Ground clearance
Traction (will you need 4wd or more? Lockers? Tires)
Fuel capacity, more for offroad vehicles due to the more remote locations.
Metal frame for the camper

Yes Red,
Thank you for the answer.

I'll have to study many points to make sure about all my requirements and decisions.

I wish I had something like GXV, Unicat, Action Mobil, etc around here. It would be just a metter of get all requirements and they come with the solution. But, around here, I suppose I'll have to bring some "solutions", as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94