I Screwed Up, Bought a Tacoma, Now Want 4 Runner

SunFlower

Adventurer
I have had 5 pickups in my life and 3 SUV's. I like them both. However, I told myself for my next purchase I would definitely be getting an SUV and not a pickup. Well, stupid me did a total impulse buy and bought a 2013 Tacoma 4x4 to replace my older Tacoma.

I've had my Tacoma for 4 months now and although I like it I am looking at trading it in for a 4Runner.

There is a 2013 4 Runner 4x4 at a local dealer but I am pretty broke and unemployed.

Call me stupid.

Arktikos

Explorer
Unemployed! Dude, no more wiggle room for stupid stuff like buying trucks. Sell that fricking Tacoma and buy an old Corolla.

summerprophet

Adventurer
Depreciation on 4runners is WAY faster than your tacoma. Keep your truck looking perfect, and hold onto it as long as you can, and trade it straight across (or even for a bit of profit) on a similarly equipped 4runner.

...... And I am hoping you are WAY more financially stable than I to be able to drop $30,000 on an impulse buy. I won't call you stupid unless you tell me you financed it.

Last edited:

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Depreciation on 4runners is WAY faster than your tacoma. Keep your truck looking perfect, and hold onto it as long as you can, and trade it straight across (or even for a bit of profit) on a similarly equipped 4runner.

Till the new tacos come out lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TripLeader

Explorer
Don't be like this guy.
costanza-unemployed.gif

Hmmm, not sure what you are looking for other than the title of 'stupid' which you explicitly ask for... Not sure why you want to be called that either. Anyways, so what is your question exactly? What kind of Taco(base, SR5, TRD)? Why do you need an SUV? What sort of vehicle do you actually need? You know, step one might be getting work and then turn you mind to how you want to play. Another question, how the heck do you buy a 2013 truck with no income?

chmura

Adventurer
In your current situation its a bad idea. If the 4runner was less expensive than MAYBE I would say go for the trade. But you will take a double hit. You will lose money on the Taco since you just bought it and than you will buy a more expensive vehicle. Not a good recipe for your current situation at all!

My advice is keep the Tacoma or better yet sell the Tacoma and buy a $5,000 japanese car until you get on your feet again. I did the same thing years years ago.

Lucky j

Explorer
Is that me or .... I'm 45, and still own the same 95 yj wrangler that I bougth new in 94, the same motorcycle 87 transalp I bought used in 90. I've been replacing daily driver about 4 times during that laps but the current one is a 2005 that I got in 2008 and I still have a fairly good job! .

Ah, I'm now looking at replacing the yj with a 2005 unlimited.

mapper

Explorer
In your current situation its a bad idea. If the 4runner was less expensive than MAYBE I would say go for the trade. But you will take a double hit. You will lose money on the Taco since you just bought it and than you will buy a more expensive vehicle. Not a good recipe for your current situation at all!

My advice is keep the Tacoma or better yet sell the Tacoma and buy a $5,000 japanese car until you get on your feet again. I did the same thing years years ago.

I'm 36 and have been employed my entire adult life except for a brief spell during and following grad school. The only time I spend more than $4k on a vehicle I determined it was a waste of good money. I want a 4runner too. Maybe this guy should meet up the with guy who wants to "wish" for people to give him money to adventure...

KiwiKurt

Explorer
i feel your pain, OP. Bought the xterra, spent every day wishing I had bought the Frontier quad cab. :shaking head:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online