First trip in my 2001 GTRV e350 v10.

Gtdad

Adventurer
Hey Bajasportsmobile have you every seen rook racks mounted on a gt rv top?? I'm trying to sort canoe carrying system but don't want to have remove racks to pop the top..?

pfreeman

Observer
Hey Bajasportsmobile have you every seen rook racks mounted on a gt rv top?? I'm trying to sort canoe carrying system but don't want to have remove racks to pop the top..?

I have seen the Yakima rack tracks installed on a GTRV top before. That is the route I will be going with mine eventually....The problem I have is that my clear-coat has failed on the top..So i need to decide if I want to try to refinish the top or just install the tracks as-is...and then maybe refinish the top later.

Here are some recent pics :)
gtrvsnow.jpg
Carson Pass, CA
mendocino.jpg
Mendocino, CA
gtrvfridge.jpg
Custom Topo Fridge

Jb1rd

Explorer
Use the track system, if you through bolt and only use silicone on the bolt holes and not the entire track they remove pretty easily, then when you decide to refurb the top you can remove the entire set up. I have used the track system pretty extensively on everything from my pick up topper to my Sprinter to my newest setup on a custom rack I made for my B190. Search online for the 6 foot ones you will be happier in the long run, I bought a lot of them and sold the rest to people on this forum and others. Sweet rig by the way!!! I have also used riv nuts on my truck on the roof itself, not the best for removing at a later date but a very nice clean install. That set up allowed a lot of configuration options. I will look to see if I have any pics.

Last edited:

Gtdad

Adventurer
Hey all! - I have been on the hunt for a van for ski/climbing trips and all around adventuring - and finally scored a deal on this GTRV with low (58,000) miles. I have learned a TON from this forum and am happy to finally be part of the club! Figured I would start a thread to document the upcoming modifications.

I live near Tahoe, CA and am hoping to get safely through the winter with some siped AT tires and chains.....Eventually when funds allow I would like to convert to 4x4 but in the meantime I may soon just add the Action Van Suspension lift for better ride/clearance/looks.

I spent the first few nights in the van on some forest service roads up near Yreka, CA on a work trip last week. So far I am loving the upgrade and look forward to many more nights soon.

I too love the "westy" layout. My traverse is more or less the same , I like that with the side doors open its like a living room with hopefully an amazing view..
I find myself wanting to just go somewhere all the time..frustrating when im too busy with work:)
Here's a quick shot of my interior
3fe2da2a38551e89c85028042f54f776.jpg

Last edited:

pfreeman

Observer
VWTELEMAN

They mounted your tracks a lot farther inward than I would have thought. Are the holes drilled inside of the tent portion of the pop-top?

vwteleman

Observer
You know, that's a good question. I'll have to check to be sure, but I suspect the roof rack rails and hardware line up with the angle rails on the inside of the top, as shown in the photo below.

Penthouse interior + fantastic fan.jpg

Cheers,
Brent

CSG

Explorer
vwtelman, what's the story on the vent fan? I've talked to PW about installing one on my Traverse but the top is so thin plus it has those ridges molded in. BTW, I've also got clear coat issues on the top and driver's side rear wheel fender. Too much to redo from the local estimates I've gotten.

2002 Pleasure-Way Traverse.jpg

pfreeman

Observer
*Update* - I ended up scrubbing the heck out of my sad looking top, removing some of the flaky clear-coat, finishing with a sealing wax - and installing Yakima tracks full-length. Pretty excited about how it turned out. Right now I just have a box on top, soon I will attach my Maxtrax up there...I wanted to do full length for paddleboards in the summer - And maybe a solar panel someday.
Roof Rack Install.jpg

van with EEXP.jpg

Overnight at Mt. Rose - The gas struts in the pop-top had trouble holding all the weight at 8000 ft in freezing temps...I will have to brainstorm that one..
mt rose.jpg

Last edited:

Gtdad

Adventurer
@pfreeman
That looks great !, I also have a traverse like csg.
Could u post a close up or two of where you Bolted in the racktracks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles