First trip in my 2001 GTRV e350 v10.

pfreeman

Observer
Hey all! - I have been on the hunt for a van for ski/climbing trips and all around adventuring - and finally scored a deal on this GTRV with low (58,000) miles. I have learned a TON from this forum and am happy to finally be part of the club! Figured I would start a thread to document the upcoming modifications.

I live near Tahoe, CA and am hoping to get safely through the winter with some siped AT tires and chains.....Eventually when funds allow I would like to convert to 4x4 but in the meantime I may soon just add the Action Van Suspension lift for better ride/clearance/looks.

I spent the first few nights in the van on some forest service roads up near Yreka, CA on a work trip last week. So far I am loving the upgrade and look forward to many more nights soon.

Attachments

• photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    510.9 KB · Views: 130
  • photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    453.7 KB · Views: 121
  • galley.jpg
    galley.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 117

BajaSportsmobile

Baja Ironman
A Crystal Ball look into your future...

I really liked this GTRV we did. I have been looking for a good one to buy ever since. Congratulations, you found a nice one.

f1e435438ac02ac435fbd9c6b87223ec.jpg

656d3f51846e91a88a34cd06e95cb77c.jpg

pfreeman

Observer
BajaSportsmobile - that van was definitely an inspiration in my search! I'd be interested in chatting down the road about the custom aluminess box you installed as my van also has the rear door AC unit. Also- do they not have a spare tire? Or Is it carried inside the van?

pfreeman

Observer
Lookin good dude. How do you like the top?

The top is well designed and made - the canvas is in perfect condition. The only problem is the very thin layer of clear coat on top of the van has peeled off about 60 percent of the roof. I am deciding whether or not to just peel the rest off before I install the Yakima tracks or maybe get the roof raptor lined first. The parts of the top where the clear coat has come off are still nice white paint but some small mold spots popped up after the last storm here.

pfreeman

Observer
Really nice van! Does it have the common GTRV rear door air conditioner?

It does indeed. I am not sure how I feel about it yet. I will mostly be boondocking and stealth camping so plugging-in wont happen very frequently. Its also kind of in the way of where i would want to mount the spare tire after I upgrade the wheels/tires and lift the van.

GTRV4.jpg

86scotty

Cynic
Well, I live in Tennessee so I can't imagine removing one already there, but I do understand it's not needed much where you are, and I find myself traveling so much out west these days that we rarely need one either. The van that Ramsey (BajaSportsmobile) posted pics of above has that rear air unit I think. He mentioned it somewhere. He was able to work the Aluminess box in behind it. Not sure if that would work with a spare but it's what I would love to do someday. It might work better on an RB though without the AC and then the tire making more and more rear overhang.

Gtdad

Adventurer
Nice van must huge inside with extended body.
I have a traverse van very similar to yours.
I love the layout these vans have .
Here's mine
44ffc3c54a1023f70ee4d8aba4a0ce15.jpg
fcb304b7f445c6fe2dd29bebaac2aea9.jpg

pfreeman

Observer
Gtdad - Your van looks great! During my search I checked out a Traverse for sale and would have been very happy ending up with it -were it not for the high miles it had vs asking price. They are great platforms! Eventually a 4x4 conversion is in the cards so finding a v10 steered me toward the GTRV instead of Pleasureway but they are quite similar.
The extra space inside the extended van is awesome. My particular layout was originally built for the previous owner to strap down a wheelchair so right now there is actually a fair amount of empty space. I think I will eventually add a storage solution or just strap down a Yeti cooler behind the driver seat as the fridge is on the smaller side.
gtrvinterior2.jpg
gtrvinterior.jpg

Last edited:

TheSweatyButcher

Adventurer
I have been looking at GTRV and Traverse vans. From what I understand the GTRV is a couple inches lower in overall height, right? My garage opening is 6'11'' on the dot which is the traverse height but I think I would be able to remove/replace the garage trim and gain an extra inch. Is the main deference the inside layout?

BajaSportsmobile

Baja Ironman
GTRV and Traverse use the same top. Is that what you are asking?

I have been looking at GTRV and Traverse vans. From what I understand the GTRV is a couple inches lower in overall height, right? My garage opening is 6'11'' on the dot which is the traverse height but I think I would be able to remove/replace the garage trim and gain an extra inch. Is the main deference the inside layout?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles