33" tires on stock gearing?

AL1

Observer
Hey guys, I was looking for some quick input about a possible tire upgrade. My truck is a 2013 frontier SV 4x4 5 speed AT with the c200 axle. From what I have found online, i have 3.13 gearing, is this correct? Have any of you run this gearing with 33" tires? Im looking to upgrade to a set of cooper st-maxx 255/85/r16 but im concerned that it will be to sluggish on hills and acceleration.

Last edited:

lizardking

Yes 3.13. It will be fine. Lots of Xterras run 33s with that gear ratio. It isn't perfect and you will notice an acceleration and MPG difference but it isn't much. I hear that the 255 st maxx are short 33s (like 32.8") vs the km2 255s which are tall (33.3" and actually measure 33.5" new) but I am curious if that is really true because the st maxxs are really nice and the km2s don't like snow much. I don't particularly like how my 255s drive compared to my 285s so if I was going st maxx and didn't get the .5" height advantage out of the 255s I personally would go 285s... but my opinion might be skewed because my 255s are MTs and my 285s are ATs.

AL1

Observer
Thanks for the reply lizardking! Thats interesting about the 255 vs 285. I assumed there would be a slight difference in handling between the two, but the 255 would get better mpg do to the reduction in weight and rolling resistance. Did you notice a significant drop in mpg while going from stock to 285 ATs?

lizardking

Thanks for the reply lizardking! Thats interesting about the 255 vs 285. I assumed there would be a slight difference in handling between the two, but the 255 would get better mpg do to the reduction in weight and rolling resistance. Did you notice a significant drop in mpg while going from stock to 285 ATs?

1-2 MPG. I have a 6 speed and 3.69 gears so I don't think it translates directly. The 255s do seem to get a tiny bit better mpg then the 285s. They also weigh less. I like the 255s for the trails. On the highway I would rather have my 285s on. In town I really can't tell much of a difference. Again, it might be the MT vs AT thing and the MTs just walk around a bit at speed. Hard to say. Can't really go wrong either way though IMHO. I have seen those ST MAXXs in action a few times and they are impressive.

AL1

Observer
1-2 MPG. I have a 6 speed and 3.69 gears so I don't think it translates directly. The 255s do seem to get a tiny bit better mpg then the 285s. They also weigh less. I like the 255s for the trails. On the highway I would rather have my 285s on. In town I really can't tell much of a difference. Again, it might be the MT vs AT thing and the MTs just walk around a bit at speed. Hard to say. Can't really go wrong either way though IMHO. I have seen those ST MAXXs in action a few times and they are impressive.

Thanks again lizardking. I feel like the st maxx will serve me pretty well for my intended purpose, now i just need to decide what size. Hopefully someone else will chime in that is running a set of st-maxx's in 255. I have a while to figure it out since no one even has the 255/85 coopers in stock anyway. Maybe thats a sign i should just go with the 285 bfgko2.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
I have 255 KM2s on my 2014 Xterra auto and it is fine. No appreciable difference in acceleration or highway power.

The one thing I do find myself doing is clicking the "OD Off" button when cruising hilly 40-50mph roads just to keep the transmission from downshifting all the time.

I also click OD Off when approaching a long climb on the interstate as well to keep it from hunting gears.

But in no way is it making me think of regearing.

AL1

Observer
I have 255 KM2s on my 2014 Xterra auto and it is fine. No appreciable difference in acceleration or highway power.

The one thing I do find myself doing is clicking the "OD Off" button when cruising hilly 40-50mph roads just to keep the transmission from downshifting all the time.

I also click OD Off when approaching a long climb on the interstate as well to keep it from hunting gears.

But in no way is it making me think of regearing.

Thanks for the reply. I'm guessing you have the 3.13 gears? How do you like the bfg MT's?

Mo4130

Adventurer
I just put some 255 km2s on my fronty with the m226 and I really havnt noticed any difference in acceration. The stance is alot better and there is most certainly road noise. Given the fact that the truck is not a daily driver for the moment and I am up in the PNW I figured why the heck not. If it was my daily I would have gone with the st maxx, and as for the snow issue, Im gonna look at getting em siped, and forget about it.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the reply. I'm guessing you have the 3.13 gears? How do you like the bfg MT's?

Yes, 3.13 gears in mine. I love the BFG's. Have driven them in every condition including rain/snow/ice with zero issues. Off road, the grip is incredible.

They can be a bit noisy at times and you can feel the harmonic of the lugs hitting the road at certain speeds but there is minimal speed related vibration. I'm not even running ANY balancing weights on mine and they are fine up to 75-80mph.

I have been running them at about 42psi on road recently which makes them ride a little rough over bumps but they are smoother in terms of harmonics.

Off road I run them at 15psi and they are practically unstoppable.

AL1

Observer
Well I bit the bullet and bought my new set of tires. I finally found someone with a set of st maxx in 255/85r16 in stock so I pulled out the credit card and they should be here friday. I can't wait to see how they perform on the truck. Now I have my eye on a prg UCA...

Dmski

Adventurer
Be sure to take pics and post here for us to see! I'm at the tire crossroads that you were at in terms of size, but I'm in no rush and can hunt around for the right tire.

AL1

Observer
First impressions.

Got the Coopers installed yesterday afternoon and got a good chance to road test them that night and today. So far, I am very pleased. The tires look great on the truck and definitely feel the wheel well better than the 265/75s. There is no noticeable difference in noise or acceleration from the Bfg ATs.

I immediately noticed a change in ride compared to the BFGs while going over pot holes, bumps and uneven surfaces. Before, the truck felt like it was riding on skateboard wheels. Every bump was harshly transferred to the truck. The new coopers seemed to absorb much more shock wile going over the same potholes that I drive over daily. I'm not sure if the cooper has a more pliable sidewall or feels better because it has a taller sidewall. I'll report back when I get some more miles on them, but so far I would definitely recommend the 255/85 r16 ST-MAXX for the frontier.

truck%20in%20lot-L.jpg

truck%20in%20lot%20rear-L.jpg

Mo4130

Adventurer
That's a good looking rig you got there. How do you like the tire gate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AL1

Observer
That's a good looking rig you got there. How do you like the tire gate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, it's a work in progress but I'm getting there. I've only had the swing gate finished for about a week now but I really like it, I think it completely changes the look of the truck. I still have some issues to resolve with the latching system and I need to change the angle of the new camera mount, but I should have that sorted this week.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94