2015/2016 New 3rd gen Tacoma Debut in Detriot

Subspd

Adventurer
If I was a betting man, I'd say that Toyota is going to wait and see how well the new Colorado/Canyon diesel does in the US market before spending the $$ to bring a diesel here.
I think most of the advantages of a diesel are either overstated or are entirely missing from the current crop of new, emissions compliant diesel engines. Given a higher initial cost for diesel and higher fuel prices, and only a marginal improvement in MPG, I can't imagine that very many people would select a diesel option even if it was offered in a small truck.

Truth. ^^^

Sad to say it but unless diesel fuel costs the same as regular gas it isn't worth it in many respects. Plus modern diesels are just as complicated as gas engines. Torque which was always the huge advantage of diesel has also been relegated to a minimum difference. Just look at what new VW turbo gas motors can do with torque off the line with direct injection.

I still love the way a diesel drives, but they are no longer the simple Cummins straight 6 they used to be.

Toyota will never bring one unless there is a huge market demand seen with the Colorado.

But what about a turbo 4cyl gas with a 6 speed auto? This is possible.

Clutch

<---Pass
But what about a turbo 4cyl gas with a 6 speed auto? This is possible.

I would be more interested in that, than a diesel. I do believe small diesels are too little (or should I say too much?), too late at this stage of the game.

Toyota does have a 2.0 Turbo in their Lexus, it "could" be tuned for a mid-size truck application.

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/07/07/lexus-turbocharged-four-cylinder-engine-nx200t-deep-dive/

Something like the Ford 2.7 Eco with around the 300 hp/tq mark and over 25 mpg...would be satisfying.

Last edited:

Milo902

Adventurer
Same here. Used to pine over the diesel Hilux, but after owning a couple diesels (Merc 300D and 7.3 PSD) I'm over it. Sure the torque is nice when you need it, but the rest of the time I prefer the driving dynamics, sounds and lower weights of a gas motor. Plus my driving style (love the stupid pedal) suits gas motors better. With respect to range, I'll carry a few jerry cans.

tyv12

Adventurer
I have a friend in Australia and apparently they import 350 chevy motors to convert diesel land cruisers to gas... You always want what you can't have!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

p nut

butter
We're not getting the diesel, no matter how many nights all of y'all knelt down for prayer. I'm a diesel fan myself, but I'm betting focus for most manufacturers will go towards either hybrid or alternative fuel sources, namely CNG/LNG. Diesel just has too much smudge in its history and PR campaignes run by moron Powerstroke drivers isn't helping, either.

dieselsmoke1.jpg

I personally think CNG/LNG is going to take off in the near future, as I don't think the hybrid tech isn't making enough advancement.

But all I'm wishing for in the new Tacoma is at LEAST a 25MPG for 4WD's. They can put Jabba the Hut front grills, if they want to--give me better MPG.

Clutch

<---Pass
Same here. Used to pine over the diesel Hilux, but after owning a couple diesels (Merc 300D and 7.3 PSD) I'm over it. Sure the torque is nice when you need it, but the rest of the time I prefer the driving dynamics, sounds and lower weights of a gas motor. Plus my driving style (love the stupid pedal) suits gas motors better. With respect to range, I'll carry a few jerry cans.

Most of my dirt bike buds have diesels...all they do is complain complain complain...

Believe Ford solved the low end torque issue with gassers...if you haven't driven a 3.6 Ecoboost...you should.

We will see how the mid-size truck game plays out...would be nice to see the [new] Ford Ranger and the 2.7 Eco. Too bad they have no interest in bringing it here.

Clutch

<---Pass
We're not getting the diesel, no matter how many nights all of y'all knelt down for prayer. I'm a diesel fan myself, but I'm betting focus for most manufacturers will go towards either hybrid or alternative fuel sources, namely CNG/LNG. Diesel just has too much smudge in its history and PR campaignes run by moron Powerstroke drivers isn't helping, either.

I personally think CNG/LNG is going to take off in the near future, as I don't think the hybrid tech isn't making enough advancement.

But all I'm wishing for in the new Tacoma is at LEAST a 25MPG for 4WD's. They can put Jabba the Hut front grills, if they want to--give me better MPG.

The rolling coal crowd sure is ruining it...that and now the cancer studies will be the nails in the coffin. Not to mention being peppered with high up front and maintenance cost...

You might be right on the CNG/LNG, manufactures have been fairly quiet with their CNG/LNG's, Honda and Ford have been selling them for years. Not having a good infrastructure is what kills it....pretty hard to find station to begin with and one that is 24 hours is even harder.

Though filling at home for a commuter would be nice.

screwball48

Explorer
My interest in a diesel option has little if any basis in practicality. I have never owned a diesel and have limited driving experience with one. It must be the "greener grass" effect.

Clutch

<---Pass
My interest in a diesel option has little if any basis in practicality. I have never owned a diesel and have limited driving experience with one. It must be the "greener grass" effect.

Diesels are great work horses. All depends what your needs are and if the cost of ownership numbers make sense to you.

Since the diesel mid-sizes aren't here just yet. Go test drive a 1/2 ton Ram EcoDiesel and Ford EcoBoost back to back to get a feel for the difference.

Last edited:

toyotech

Expedition Leader
So 3rd gen taco is just like what did did for the "3rd" gen tundra. Nothing but a boob job lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94