2015/2016 New 3rd gen Tacoma Debut in Detriot

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Yeah, those Clutch. That's they way this 2008 is. Is that not the way all 2nd gen Access Cabs back seats are? Those are slick, I gotta admit.

Clutch

<---Pass
Yeah, those Clutch. That's they way this 2008 is. Is that not the way all 2nd gen Access Cabs back seats are? Those are slick, I gotta admit.

They have this non-sense now.

You can see the indent under the seat where the older style's
hinge went, I would have to swap out the new for the old style. It is perfect for moto gear bags.

2009-toyota-tacoma-access-cab-interior-rear-seat.jpg

Last edited:

DaveInDenver

That's just stoopid. They make a perfectly fine Double Cab with real seats. No reason for anything more than a padded place to put your butt for half an hour shuttling a kayak run in the extended cab.

DVexile

Adventurer
Any word on charges in T-case? Better crawl ratios, or even better, an auto 4wd setting?

New T-case. Not many details, still electronic shift but is suppose to be faster to shift. No auto/full time 4WD setting. Higher gear ratios available for the diffs now, I think they said 3.93 and 4.3 in the Q&A session.

Clutch

<---Pass
That's just stoopid. They make a perfectly fine Double Cab with real seats. No reason for anything more than a padded place to put your butt for half an hour shuttling a kayak run in the extended cab.

Exactly. ..if I wanted real seats. I would buy a Double Cab or 4Runner.

Geez...believe we have used the rear seats twice in the 3 years we have owned the Trooper. They stay folded up for the majority of the time.

Rear seats in a AC is silly.

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Still not digging the exterior much, love the interior (Clutch is right, it is reminiscent of the 79 Hilux)....on the fence regarding the new 3.5L because I know nothing about them. Really like the Tan paint option but still pissed they didn't offer the manual tcase in, at least, the TRD Off-Road package. Overall, I like it better than the Colorado but still have to say the 4Runner is more for me. The new Taco is sure the HELL better looking than the Titan that was also shown today.

Might be a repost but nice all around summary of what we know of the new Taco thus far.

DaveInDenver

I assume it's a liability thing. If you have seats of any kind they have to have headrests, latch points and all sorts of cocoon around you now. DOT regulators probably would have a coronary on the spot if a manufacturer showed up a troop carrier configuration. Or, heck, those rear facing station wagon seats from our childhood.

DVexile

Adventurer
If you have seats of any kind they have to have headrests, latch points and all sorts of cocoon around you now.

Actually headrests are the most sensible thing in the world to have. Soft tissue damage can be life altering and it is completely beyond your control. Headrests protect you from the *** busy texting who rear ends you at 45 mph while you are stopped at a red light.

But most definitely, car interiors of today are very different from the past. Remarkably they are vastly safer and yet come in at the same inflation adjusted cost despite all the sensors and airbags. I was blown away when I bought my 2007 Civic - it was far, far safer than the 1994 it replaced and it actually came in slightly cheaper in inflation adjusted dollars.

I wonder about rear facing seats - probably DOT would love them as they are quite a bit safer than forward facing. Of course those little ones tucked in the back of the 70's station wagons probably weren't that safe...

Clutch

<---Pass
I assume it's a liability thing. If you have seats of any kind they have to have headrests, latch points and all sorts of cocoon around you now. DOT regulators probably would have a coronary on the spot if a manufacturer showed up a troop carrier configuration. Or, heck, those rear facing station wagon seats from our childhood.

Yep, most of the rear seat head rest have become huge, so big the rear view mirror is about useless.

While most of the safety features are welcomed, other "rules" are becoming ridiculous...had a client in the other day who was cited because his kid wasn't wearing
a helmet while climbing a tree.

Going to be a day where we won't be allowed to leave the house...

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Still not digging the exterior much, love the interior (Clutch is right, it is reminiscent of the 79 Hilux)....on the fence regarding the new 3.5L because I know nothing about them. Really like the Tan paint option but still pissed they didn't offer the manual tcase in, at least, the TRD Off-Road package. Overall, I like it better than the Colorado but still have to say the 4Runner is more for me. The new Taco is sure the HELL better looking than the Titan that was also shown today.

Might be a repost but nice all around summary of what we know of the new Taco thus far.

I wonder if its the same 3.5 they use in the Camry, RX, Sienna? Maybe it is a more refined engine with newer tech? I just don't know enough about it like you Larry. I think the Camry and the Sienna and the V6 Lexus RX all run that same 3.5L V6. Possibly the older prior generation Highlander too?

I guess my big question would be did they put the Tacoma on a diet regarding weight? Seems like if its the same engine or roughly same family engine that they run in the Sienna, Highlander and RX the Tacoma might be a bit short on grunt. Toyota did this same general tactic with the RAV4 dropped the larger V6 then ended up doing a redesign to a smaller lighter platform because the heavier prior generation wasn't cutting it with the smaller engine etc.

Any chance Toyota is facing a pretty serious issue with their fleet Mileage numbers? Nissan, Dodge and Chevy are playing with Diesel to help with their fleet fuel economy numbers but Toyota will fight to the end to avoid diesel given they pumped so much damn money into the hybrid concept here in the States.

Clutch

<---Pass
Still not digging the exterior much

I am not crazy about the bigger grill (oh well) it could be worse...it could be the new Titan! Yeowza! Is that thing on the Ram chassis???

I like rear amber turn signals, bummer they are gone. Aftermarket may come up with something.

Anyways...

A preunner bumper or a plate bumper with a hoop and lights will help hide it a bit.

tacoma-4x4-total-chaos-upper-control-arms%20(5)-1000.jpg

Saharicon

Adventurer
I am not crazy about the bigger grill (oh well) it could be worse...it could be the new Titan! Yeowza! Is that thing on the Ram chassis???

I like rear amber turn signals, bummer they are gone. Aftermarket may come up with something.

Anyways...

A preunner bumper or a plate bumper with a hoop and lights will help hide it a bit.

tacoma-4x4-total-chaos-upper-control-arms%20(5)-1000.jpg

Sorry, off topic. Where do you find that bumper though? I can't find it anywhere on TCs website.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz