2015/2016 New 3rd gen Tacoma Debut in Detriot

p nut

butter
I'm indifferent about the push button start, because it won't be an option I'll be getting. Used to have one and it was nice. Not something I couldn't do without, though.

And actually, looking at all the doo-dads, I'm thinking hard about going with SR/SR-5 package vs TRD/Limited. Blind spot, multi-terrain select, moonroof, blah blah doesn't interest me at all. Only thing I hope trickled down to the base models is ATRAC.

Last edited:

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Is the pushbutton start included with a keyless entry and ignition system? That would make sense, then. My wife's Altima is like that. As long as the remote sensor is within 24" or so of the door you just push a button and it unlocks, then you get in the car, hold the brake in and push the button to start it. When you get out and shut the door, push the button on the door handle again and it locks. The key stays in your pocket the whole time.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I like the traditional hand brake.
Traditional in what way? The T-handle under the dash is the way Toyota trucks were until the 4Runner and automatic Tacoma put in the foot pedal. Compared to the foot actuated parking brake I like the pull handle better. But the under dash is what I think of as traditional. I wonder if the pull handle is now universal. That would make sense. It's not really safe to use a foot-operated parking brake with a clutch, too easy to push the wrong one I suspect. Plus sometimes it's handy being able to use the parking brake to keep from rolling when starting.

ssmathis

Observer
For someone with very long legs, I never got used to the old t-handle even on my 87 4Runner.

Traditional in what way? The T-handle under the dash is the way Toyota trucks were until the 4Runner and automatic Tacoma put in the foot pedal. Compared to the foot actuated parking brake I like the pull handle better. But the under dash is what I think of as traditional. I wonder if the pull handle is now universal. That would make sense. It's not really safe to use a foot-operated parking brake with a clutch, too easy to push the wrong one I suspect. Plus sometimes it's handy being able to use the parking brake to keep from rolling when starting.

DaveInDenver

Yeah, don't misunderstand, I'm not saying the T-handle was the best thing ever. Just that's the way they were. I actually think the pull like they are showing in the 2016 makes a lot more sense in the interiors now. I really am not a fan of foot actuated parking brakes, though.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
For someone with very long legs, I never got used to the old t-handle even on my 87 4Runner.

I liked the T handle also but a good friend first responder told me that T handle on the long rod was something that commonly was found embedded in crash victims. After thinking about it I could see the idea of having a large rod pointed at the driver as being a bad thing during an accident. The center stack pull style brake has its risks too. Many Auto's moved or are moving to the push button given during violent accidents its not uncommon to catch the pull style handle under the rib cage yowie!!! However!!! With a truck that will see technical use you need some type of mechanical brake option and the more modern center stack pull style seems like the best option.

bkg

Explorer

Gen 4 4Runner... and Gen 3 Tacoma. Were hand operated for a very long time. I prefer hand operated as well, though I like the larger console we get with the foot operated in our Gen 5 4Runner and my Tundra.

DaveInDenver

Gen 4 4Runner... and Gen 3 Tacoma. Were hand operated for a very long time. I prefer hand operated as well, though I like the larger console we get with the foot operated in our Gen 5 4Runner and my Tundra.
All the 1979 to 1995 trucks were T-handles and the 1st gen Tacoma still had a T-handle for both. My 2008 is a stick shift and has a T-handle. I understood the 2nd gen Tacoma automatics were foot pedals? My guess is it's all a consolidation to make one type of parking brake common to both automatic and sticks that isn't a T-handle like it used to be. It does seem like a positive that Toyota doesn't intend to eliminate the manual transmission from the Tacoma otherwise why have a hand brake at all, i.e. the 4Runner and Tundra.

DVexile

Adventurer
The I4 is the old 2.7 retuned to match a new 6 speed auto. You can't get a MT with the I4 anymore.

The V6 is a new 3.5 running an Atkinson cycle. Not too many details about this yet, but appears to be an all new engine probably a 2GR-xxx where "xxx" is some new suffix. 6 speed auto or manual with this. The 6 speed manual is new, does not carry over the old 6 speed.

Transfer cases are all new. Rear diffs are all new.

OR package now includes Multi-Terrain-Select and Crawl Control - these features already available on FJ and 4runner.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior