Box Rocket 1995 FZJ80 Build

Box Rocket

Great pics! Never noticed what a nice color your 80 was...the sunlight in the pics really brings it out.
Thanks. The Moonglow Pearl is an interesting color. It can change hues a bit depending on the weather/lighting conditions. Sometimes it will appear to be more charcoal grey, at other times it takes on a quite blue-ish hue. When it goes a little blue it reminds me a lot of the old Tacoma color "lavender steel" which has a blue-ish/purple tint to it.
IMG_07368.JPG

98WhiteT4R

Adventurer
Thanks. The Moonglow Pearl is an interesting color. It can change hues a bit depending on the weather/lighting conditions. Sometimes it will appear to be more charcoal grey, at other times it takes on a quite blue-ish hue. When it goes a little blue it reminds me a lot of the old Tacoma color "lavender steel" which has a blue-ish/purple tint to it.
IMG_07368.JPG

I KNEW I'd seen it before on a Toyota I just couldn't remember which model. Love how clean your builds are BTW, when I was building my Runner I would always reread your threads. Thanks for some inspiration!

Box Rocket

installed the new ComeUp winch a few days ago since I moved the old one to the Tacoma. I grabbed a few detail photos.

This one is the SEAL 9.5rs (includes a wireless remote) vs the 9.5s that is on the Tacoma. Essentially the same winch but the 9.5s doesn't include the wireless remote.

hookup is very simple and straight forward with the help of color coded cables.

Still very impressed with the construction and the finish quality on these winches. Really nice stuff.

2scars

Adventurer
So are you DD-ing the Tacoma and just wheeling the 80? 12-13 MPG would be difficult to live with for DD for my commute. Though, I only got 16.6 on the last tank...

Box Rocket

So are you DD-ing the Tacoma and just wheeling the 80? 12-13 MPG would be difficult to live with for DD for my commute. Though, I only got 16.6 on the last tank...
Yes I have been DD-info the Tacoma up to this point. I'm usually getting around 18-20mpg in the Tacoma which is fine with me.
However, the Tacoma just went up for sale this week and could actually be gone today, just waiting on final word from a buyer. That means the 80 will be the DD for a little while. I don't worry too much about fuel economy. I'd drive myself crazy if I worried about it with vehicles like this.
I'll be watching for a commuter of some kind but I'm not in a hurry.

2scars

Adventurer
How far is your drive? Mine is a solid 500 miles a week. I feel like I read on some post that you had something similar. I am a little sad to see your DC going up for sale, someone is going to be a lucky cuss getting that all built out already. Good luck with it.

Box Rocket

How far is your drive? Mine is a solid 500 miles a week. I feel like I read on some post that you had something similar. I am a little sad to see your DC going up for sale, someone is going to be a lucky cuss getting that all built out already. Good luck with it.
My commute is 60 miles per day if I don't go anywhere except from home to the office and back. But I do that 6 days a week most of the time so just shy of 400 miles a week typically.

As for the Tacoma, it has been one of my favorite trucks I've ever owned. I was probably a bit more emotionally attached to my old FJ40 but in terms of practical function I don't think I've had anything as versatile as the Tacoma. It's comfortable and performs exceptionally well in almost all situations. All the other vehicles I've had have fallen short in one or more areas. The Tacoma isn't perfect, but it's been better on average than anything else. I'll miss it.

Box Rocket

Had a great weekend of about 1000 miles of driving/camping in the desert.

I was recently fortunate enough to begin a partnership with Stealth Series Custom Wheels. They make Toyota specific wheels that I've liked for several years now. This worked out and I installed a set of their SR8 wheels on the 80 this morning.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz