Box Rocket 1995 FZJ80 Build

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Truck looks great Adam! I really like that scoop actually.

I've had great luck with the knockoff brand snorkels before. And for the price... They're practically replaceable. But the quality on the ones I've had has been really, really good.

Box Rocket

Truck looks great Adam! I really like that scoop actually.

I've had great luck with the knockoff brand snorkels before. And for the price... They're practically replaceable. But the quality on the ones I've had has been really, really good.

Thanks. I saw an 80 with a 78 series hood scoop grafted in and it looked great but was A LOT of work, and was quite costly to have done. I'm eventually repainting my hood so this is a temp fix for my peeling clearcoat and the wide mustang style scoop is the closest match I could find to the lines of the 78 series scoop.
The snorkel will get installed as soon as I am actually home from the office longer than just to sleep.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I think the hood scoop looks fine. Where did you source the snorkel? FleaBay? Do you know if they offer one for the 100 series?

RDC76

Adventurer
I know some will like this, some will flat out hate it. Personally I like it. Purely cosmetic mod.....mustang scoop.

Your truck setup is one of my favorites. It looks great. I really like the scoop. One of the best colors as well. Can't wait to see it with the snorkel.

Box Rocket

Thanks guys. I finished up the TMS snorkel install last night. Overall pretty smooth. The supplied template wasn't quite accurate. The two holes closest to the windshield were not in the correct place but that was about all I needed to change. After drilling the holes, I removed the fender to make it easier to tighten all the bolts and remove the factory intake plumbing. The quality of the snorkel is really quite good, in fact excellent considering the price. For a $40 Snorkel it is great. Comparing it to the Safari snorkels I've used in the past, the obvious difference is the lack of the embossed Safari logo on the main body. Fitment is and construction is good although it may not be quite as precise where the snorkel follows the contours of the fender at the front, but I'm getting quite nit-picky. Material seems to be the same plastics. Time will tell if this one has problems with UV exposure and fading or cracking, but I doubt it. So with the exception of needing to do some double-checking of measurements I'm very please with the purchase.

Upland80

Adventurer
Quite impressive! Not sure why I skipped your build thread on MUD over the years, but read through the entire thing the other night and will be "borrowing" a couple ideas. One question though...are you completely comfortable using the Spidertrex wheel spacers? I like the look, but spacers make me a bit nervous considering some have sheared studs and lost wheels going down the highway without them. Really like the hood scoop BTW!

Box Rocket

Quite impressive! Not sure why I skipped your build thread on MUD over the years, but read through the entire thing the other night and will be "borrowing" a couple ideas. One question though...are you completely comfortable using the Spidertrex wheel spacers? I like the look, but spacers make me a bit nervous considering some have sheared studs and lost wheels going down the highway without them. Really like the hood scoop BTW!

I am completely comfortable with the Spidertrax wheel spacers. I've been running them on my Tacoma for a few years now with zero issues. The key with any spacers is to check them regularly and keep them torqued correctly. When they start to works themselves loose is when studs break and you have problems. Also use red Loctite.
All that being said, I only had them on the cruiser for a couple weeks and them removed them. There was no problem with the spacers at all and I really did like the look and the stability. But the tires didn't tuck quite as well into the wheel wells with the spacers on so I sold them to a buddy.

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
if you put them on with red locktite and then check the torque on them, you're breaking the locktite and would need to re-apply it. in theory if you absolutely freaking douse the studs in red locktite like you're supposed to, they'll never move. that is of course after you stretch the studs out with initial installation and over torque.

seanpistol

Explorer
I recently switched to Trail Gear spacers after shearing a stud on one of my All-Pro spacers. I thought it was interesting that AP suggested Loc-Tite, while TG suggested anti-seize.

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
Technically, lock tite is antisieze in a sense, protects against corrosion.

Personally I think you're crazy if you run anything but red locktite, and douse it in that ****.

Box Rocket

I'd have to agree. I don't think I'd use spacers without red Loctite. Personally, I prefer the Spidertrax spacers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior