Box Rocket 1995 FZJ80 Build

nnnnnate

Adventurer
That route sounds like it would be a ton of fun. I keep meaning to spend time exploring the dirt roads off Mirror Lake Hwy but always end up just driving to the same lake for camping and fishing.

MtnClimber

Ready To Explore!
Synthetic line and you still used a dampener,, very nice :cool:
Amazing scenery Adam! What was the weather like that day? (temps, humidity)

dfinn

Adventurer
That route sounds like it would be a ton of fun. I keep meaning to spend time exploring the dirt roads off Mirror Lake Hwy but always end up just driving to the same lake for camping and fishing.

Same here. I really need to get out there and out of my comfort zone. If you happen to have it saved I would love to see your route Box Rocket.

Box Rocket

Same here. I really need to get out there and out of my comfort zone. If you happen to have it saved I would love to see your route Box Rocket.
I'm old school I guess. No GPS for me typically. I still use paper maps. So I can't exactly share a route file.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Good job on the hood, I have the same issues with mine on my 100. I might see about doing the same thing, already was planning to do some monstaliner on it.

Trails looks very similar to some I run around here. I hear ya too on no GPS, makes for better adventures and gives you much more skill.

Cheers

Box Rocket

Kamas to Spanish Fork all off road? Interesting! Where did you cross I 80?

Edit: brain fart. you must have crossed 40.

Yes we crossed 40 at Daniels Summit. Our finish point was actually Mapleton not Spanish Fork but more people know Spanish Fork and it's so close to Mapleton.

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
Awesome 80! Knew I recognized the rig when I started reading the thread, been keeping up with it on Instagram for a while now. Look forward to keeping up with this thread too

Box Rocket

Working on finishing up a gear swap to 4.88's along with new brakes. Reassembly is going slower than expected so still have a day or so. Can't wait.

Box Rocket

Well...after driving an 80 series for 16 years on 35's with stock gears, I now have 4.88's. I still feel like a gear swap is not a requirement to run 35's on an 80. Stock gears are adequate. However, the 4.88's feel GREAT! General power feels better and the truck pulls better on the highway. I can cruise at 75-80mph comfortably. Sure it revs a bit higher but not like I'm flogging it. I don't have enough time with them yet to see what kind of change (if any) in fuel economy.
The other change is the brake pads. Darren McRae sent me a set of Carbon pads from Australia. There are likely equivalent pads here in the US but I know Darren would send me the correct thing and would save me the search of finding them here. Its necessary to resurface the rotors to remove any residue from the old pads. Bedding the Carbon pads makes A LOT of brake dust, like completely covered the wheels and calipers. Brake dust should subside a bit after that. Braking performance feels a lot better. I should have done some measured tests with the old pads and done some comparisons for stopping distance etc. Alas, I didn't so it's purely a seat of the pants feel. One thing I will say is that with my old OEM pads I could mash the brake pedal to the floor (on asphalt) and the truck would come to a stop but never hint at engaging the ABS. With these new pads, the ABS still didn't kick on, but all 4 wheels were screeching and the truck comes to a stop noticeably quicker. The pads can make a bit of noise under braking, but nothing overly annoying. Overall, really happy with the upgrade.

Revving is not always a bad thing. Engines have sweet spots that they like, due to combustion chamber and port efficiency, cam profile, exhaust scavenging.

I bet with the new gears, the engine is closer to that sweet spot than it was with 4.10's.

Box Rocket

Revving is not always a bad thing. Engines have sweet spots that they like, due to combustion chamber and port efficiency, cam profile, exhaust scavenging.

I bet with the new gears, the engine is closer to that sweet spot than it was with 4.10's.

I agree. Feels much better and runs smoother at cruising speeds.

Box Rocket

My truck has had a bit of hard use lately and needed a bit of cleanup. One of the things I wanted to address was a decent amount of rockrash on the wheels. In the process I decided to change the color and resprayed them last night. The color is a little different than I expected. I used Rustoleum "Stainless Steel" but it came out a bit more bronze than I expected. A few coats of color followed by a few coats of clear. Not aweful just different than what I expected. I'll see if it grows on me and either leave it or redo them at a later date in silver/gunmetal or go back to black.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior