Box Rocket 1995 FZJ80 Build

Box Rocket

In these pictures are you still using the Ranchero 2.5" lift? Any chance you could measure the center hub to edge of the flair for me? I really like the way the 315s fit with that height. I would like to see if yours is sitting much higher than mine. Thanks

Got some measurements for you. Center of hub to lower edge of flare is 22.5" front and rear. and a dirty winter pic for fun. :)

stioc

Expedition Leader
Congrats on the new truck! Didn't you have a LC 80 before?

BTW, I couldn't help but notice the Tahoe in the garage, while not quite a 80 due to IFS but perhaps similar to the LC 100 at a fraction of the cost. Just curious if you ever thought about that as a family rig?

Box Rocket

Congrats on the new truck! Didn't you have a LC 80 before?

BTW, I couldn't help but notice the Tahoe in the garage, while not quite a 80 due to IFS but perhaps similar to the LC 100 at a fraction of the cost. Just curious if you ever thought about that as a family rig?
Thanks. Yes I still have a '93 LC80 that I'm pulling parts from then it will get sold.

The other vehicle in the garage is a GMC Yukon XL. It been the primary family hauler for the past several years. It's nice and comfortable for that and has good power for its size but I would never consider it for an off-roader. It's too big (even the smaller Tahoe/Yukon) and the IFS would never be a setup I would trust much if I ever left the gravel fire roads. The aftermarket for them in terms of quality Offroad parts is not great. Honestly the cruisers (along with my Tacoma) have spoiled me. They're just extremely capable and almost perfectly sized and I have a high level of trust in them with reliabilty.
There isn't any domestic 4wd that I would personally consider for the type of offroading I do. Maybe a JKRU but even then I think they're harder to make ride well and I wouldn't have the same reliabilty.
But that's just my preference. Everyone has different tastes and things that work for them.

stioc

Expedition Leader
Cool, I appreciate the feedback since I've never owned a Tahoe (Suburban, Yukon XL are a bit too big for offroading IMHO). I agree IFS isn't suitable for the harder stuff but that OK with me, I guess I'm more in the LC100 camp :) The one advantage I see the domestic trucks have is the cost and availability of replacement parts down the road and further when I see the 90s era domestic trucks still being used/abused as farm and gardener trucks yet keep going I wonder if perhaps they're rugged enough that they can be turned into moderate overlanding rigs like my current one - just a little roomier for the family hauling duties.

Box Rocket

The domestics can definitely find a place in the overland arena, and you have a point about parts cost and availability. It's a good thing they're easy to be had and that they're cheap, since you'll likely be looking for parts frequently. ;) All kidding aside, there are some decent domestic 4x4s, there just isn't one that "speaks" to me. The only exceptions would probably be an vintage Ford Bronco, or a vintage IH Scout.
As for the LC100, I've had quite a bit of time in those and they are fantastic. In many ways I think they are the ultimate overlander. Powerful, comfortable, capable, roomy, reliable and even luxurious. Truly they are difficult to find something to complain about. We even looked long and hard at a LC100 as we considered our recent cruiser purchase. At the end of the day, we stuck with the LC80 because there is just some kind of emotional connection that I feel with the LC80 that I haven't ever felt in a LC100. The 80 is probably more capable than the 100 but a little down on power and the IFS in the LC100 is outstanding at higher speed overlanding. Also, since I had a built 80 already, picking up another one instead of a 100 meant I could pull all the mods off the old 80 and have a new built 80 at no extra cost. That was what made the final decision.
If you are looking for a more roomier alternative to your Pathfinder, a LC100 will blow away any domestic option. It may cost a bit more for the LC100 at initial purchase but will require less repair and maintenance in the long term and as a result possibly cost you less over it's lifetime. If I didn't already have an 80 to pull parts from I would have likely gone with a LC100.

Box Rocket

So now that you had the Goodyears on the LC what are your thoughts on the road, noise, handling braking!

Overall, very happy with them. For a MT type tire they are no more noisy than the KM2s I have on my Tacoma. The slightly larger voids on the MTRs make it so I feel the lugs on the road a bit more. It's not rough, but not what I would call smooth. Acceptable for a MT type tire. Handling and Braking seem overall just as good as the General Grabber ATs that were on it. On hardpack and ice they are severely lacking and in desperate need of siping. I knew that, just haven't done it yet so it is going back for siping in the next couple weeks.

I had the MTRs on my Tacoma for a while between sets of KM2s. The MTRs are not quite as smooth or as quiet as KM2s but those are minor differences. In the rocks I MUCH preferred the MTR which is why I came back to them on this cruiser since it is mainly going to be used offroad. So the small difference in noise and ride was worth the better performance in the dirt.

Box Rocket

I have recently been reading about some LED headlight upgrades for the Cruisers on MUD and I went ahead and ordered a set. Label says they are 2000 lumens and they're straight up plug-n-play so it won't get much simpler. Should make for a much brighter whiter headlight. They are CREE LEDs. I ordered them from ebay.
Came in this box

packed like this

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Link to the 'Mud thread on the lights? I replaced the bulbs in my 100 with PIAA, but I'm still not satisfied with the light output.

Box Rocket

Headlights installed tonight. Conveniently I had one of the stock headlights that was burnt out so the following pics are of the one working headlight.

Before:

After:

Also blacked out the grill

Box Rocket

Wow the difference is very noticeable. Will definitely get those for my 80's.:)

The difference in actual light output may not be quite as dramatic as you might think. I think the major difference in the photos is the color of the light which is much whiter with the LED. But the actual brightness isn't a huge change. It's better, but not a huge change. It's probably a good thing since these are still low beams and I don't want to be blinding oncoming drivers with the "everyday" lights on the truck. I'll switch on the HIDs if I want to do that. :)

Box Rocket

I got to work on the suspension swap yesterday. Turns out the suspension that is on the new cruiser is Skyjacker coils/shocks NOT Rancho like I thought it was. I was only able to get the rear suspension swapped last night, but hope to get the front done in the next couple days. The details of the rear suspension I'm putting on the new cruiser is some *well used* OME J springs, some 1.5" spring spacers, OME L shocks, Slee 2" bumpstop extensions, Slee swaybar brackets, Slee adjustable panhard. I took some measurements of the rear of the truck prior to starting and from the ground to the bottom edge of the fender flare was 38 5/8". After the rear J springs etc were swapped in the measurement was 42 1/2" so I got almost 4" of extra lift. It may settle a bit, but that's probably what it will be.
Here's the BEFORE photo with both 80s in the garage ready for the swap, along with the Tacoma patiently waiting.

In case anyone is curious my Goodyear MTRs are about an inch larger diameter than the used BFG ATs that have been on my old cruiser. Both are 315s.

Skyjacker 2.5" lift coil

Old Skyjacker shocks

Here's the comparison of the OME J spring and 1.5" spacer next to the 2.5" Skyjacker coil.

I didn't get any other photos during the process but here's a dark photo after the rear ends were all buttoned back up. Skyjacker stuff is now on the white cruiser and the OME stuff is on the new Grey cruiser. Pretty big change if you ask me (check out the height of the taillights compared to the BEFORE photo). It's stink bugged really bad right now until I can get the front swapped out, but I'm looking forward to seeing how it rides.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94