Box Rocket 1995 FZJ80 Build

shmabs

Explorer
This might be an odd request, but could you possibly get a few up close pics of where your sliders mount to your frame? I ordered the same TG kit and my slider legs look as though they are going to land right at the bottom of the frame while still ending up really close to the pinch seam on the body. Did you clearance the pinch seem or slider legs?

I'm anxious to hear more about the new suspension!

Mike

Box Rocket

This might be an odd request, but could you possibly get a few up close pics of where your sliders mount to your frame? I ordered the same TG kit and my slider legs look as though they are going to land right at the bottom of the frame while still ending up really close to the pinch seam on the body. Did you clearance the pinch seem or slider legs?

I'm anxious to hear more about the new suspension!

Mike

You're correct. My slider legs are right at the bottom edge of the frame as well. I welded scab plates to the frame first, then the slider legs to the scab plates. I also notched the pinch weld. It was very quick with a flap disc. You'll need to do that to the exhaust heat shield below the passengerside front door. Don't forget to gusset the top each leg to the frame. That will make all the difference.

Very interesting discussion there, and some very valid points were raised on both ends. Certainly a very intriguing option for suspension upgrades.

Also, sad to hear about your job. Disney shutting all of that down so suddenly impacted a lot of lives.

Box Rocket

Very interesting discussion there, and some very valid points were raised on both ends. Certainly a very intriguing option for suspension upgrades.

Also, sad to hear about your job. Disney shutting all of that down so suddenly impacted a lot of lives.

Keep in mind that much of the discussion is just speculation since the kits had not been released yet. Now that it's out there should start being more accurate "real world" feedback.

Box Rocket

Not too much by way of update, but Ive snuck away for a few short drives but I'm looking forward to attending my first FJ Summit in a few weeks. I'll be there repping for Tepui so if you'll be at the event and not on the same trails I am, be sure to stop by and say hello in the vendor area in the afternoons.
As for updates on the truck, not much has changed but I've been doing a bit of work on the brakes. My calipers were in pretty rough shape. They are working fine but were quite rusty. I did a bit of cleanup and gave them a fresh coat of caliper paint.

Box Rocket

I worked on a bit of body work yesterday. The hood on the cruiser was in rough shape. The clearcoat was pitted and flaking all over it. This was one of the reasons I blacked out the center section, to cover the worst of the peeling. But the sides of the hood were also bad so I sanded them down and repainted them. I had some 1A6 color mixed up and put into rattle cans. I did a primer, base coat and clearcoat. Turned out pretty good for being rattle canned, and the color match was quite good.
Primer

base coat

Clearcoat

In the sunlight

Box Rocket

Took the day on Friday to go explore with my BIL and my 80 and his LX470. Had great time exploring the Uintah Mountains and we were able to connect a route from Kamas, Ut to Spanish Fork Canyon. Beautiful day.

Box Rocket

near the end of the route I dropped the 80 into a hole that turned out to be deeper and softer than it appeared and swallowed the driverside. The drop in was a vertical ledge about 3' high and the rear bumper was hung up. Between the rear bumper being hung up (keeping the rear tire from touching the ground) and the slippery clay in the hole, I wasn't able to drive out immediately. So a used the COMEUP winch to pull the truck about 12" to free the rear bumper and then was able to drive out on my own. Fun little challenge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles