Box Rocket 1995 FZJ80 Build

KC Cruiser

Adventurer
That looks great, Adam!
Good information on the new MTR's, I had the first generation MTR's and loved them, went to BFG AT's but want to get back to MT's when these wear down some more. It will be between KM2's, Cooper MT and Wrangler MTR. Good looking fleet!

Box Rocket

Got working on the front suspension swap last night. It's going very slowly. I'm reminded that I hate the pin style ends on these shocks. The nuts are seized badly so trying to get them to break loose with a pair of vise grips on the tiny little pin end sucks. I worked for almost 4 hours last night and didn't quite get the driverside done. The bolts inside the bumpstops were seized badly too and I broke one so that took a little more time to fix that so I could install the new bumpstop extensions. Still need to get to the other side and do the front panhard and caster plates.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Hey on the shocks, I have found this works real well. Put a strap wrench on the body, can buy a strap wrench at most plumbing stores. They won't damage the shocks body because it is either canvas or rubber for the strap. Then put your impact on the pin nut and it will come right off. Works every time for me, even on 50yr old trucks. Now bolts busting off inside the frame is a different story, do not envy you on that. Dislike having to deal with busted bolts inside the frame.

Cheers

Box Rocket

Right on. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll go pick up a strap wrench today. Is now a good time to hang my head in shame that no air tools are being used? I'm a 100% manual wrencher. :(

seanpistol

Explorer
I'm a manual wrencher as well... a breaker bar with a cheater pipe, and sometimes a little heat, can get just about anything to bust lose.

JeepN95YJ

Adventurer
Right on. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll go pick up a strap wrench today. Is now a good time to hang my head in shame that no air tools are being used? I'm a 100% manual wrencher. :(

I hate struggling with shocks without my air tools! Good luck!

Box Rocket

I'm a manual wrencher as well... a breaker bar with a cheater pipe, and sometimes a little heat, can get just about anything to bust lose.

Try getting a breaker bar or cheater into the engine compartment on an 80 to get the top shock nut off.

Box Rocket

Where there's a will, there's a way! (to get it off, not to get a tool in an impossible area....)

Yep I'll get there eventually. I picked up a strap wrench today along with some bolt extractors to get a couple busted bolts out of the frame.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Yep I'll get there eventually. I picked up a strap wrench today along with some bolt extractors to get a couple busted bolts out of the frame.

All natural.....been there. Long time ago.

Do yourself a favor man and go buy a small compressor and some air tools. Makes everything so easy. I changed all my front sway bar bushes out the other day, 20 min job with air tools. Years and years ago I picked up on Ebay a military Ingersol Rand impact ratchet that is on a 90* angle. Doesn't have the power of a bigger impact but man I can get it in some tight spaces. The thing is super bomber too, dropped it many many times. Think I paid under $100 for it long time ago. My die grinders get used very often too as you can put so many attachments on them from tiny round sand disc to 3M scotch bright pads to actual die grinding tips.

Once you go air tools you never go back! :)

Cheers

Box Rocket

Oh I have been spoiled by them plenty. A good friend has a shop at his house to make most people envious. I'll occasionally work on the trucks down there and the airtools are definitely nice. One point I do like about the manual tools though.......I try to get my 12 and 14 yr old sons to come out and work with me as often as I can and having them learn how to use the hand tools is a good thing IMO and if it's slower, that's ok because it's time with my boys.

TwoTrack

Buy Once, Cry Once
I currently live in an apartment, so my wrenching happens at relatives or friends houses. Air tools require a lot of "stuff". My favorite tool purchase to date has been my Milwaukee Impact Wrench. Most of my power tools are from their M18 line. I've been very impressed. Everything from crankshaft bolts to ball joints this thing just zips right through.

Sorry for being slightly off topic, can't wait to see it finished though!

Box Rocket

Why the spring swap? What makes the OME springs more desirable?

For starters the Skyjacker coils ride like dump truck. It was also paired with some worn out inexpensive shocks. OME has long had a reputation of a great ride and good offroad performance on these trucks. I can attest to that since I've got years of use on the old cruiser with the OME stuff and have now been able to compare it to the Skyjacker stuff that's been on the new one. So ride quality is one reason. Also, more height and more flex. The OME's paired with the L shocks, sway bar drops, longer brake lines will flex better offroad. I also wanted a bit more height than just the 2.5" that was there with the Skyjackers. My napkin math shows the truck will be very close to 6" of lift over stock with the OME setup with the extra parts I have. That's great for what I'm after.
Lastly, I had all of it on hand so why not swap in a better suspension to the truck I'm going to use rather than sell it with the truck?

Box Rocket

Well several hours again last night on the front suspension. That strap wrench I bought to help remove the shocks?...............Yeah I broke it in about 2 min. :( Ended up using a pipe wrench and finally got the shocks removed, but not until one of them busted a stud in the process. So my old cruiser will get sold without front shocks. Shouldn't matter since those shocks were toast anyway and would need to be replaced. Also, needed to move the extended brake lines from the old truck to the new one. Not sure how I over looked that, but it became obvious pretty quickly that it needed to happen. The only issue with that was that my '93 only had 1 brakeline from the frame to the axle, where the '95 has two so I need to source one more extended brake line. I think I actually have one packed away somewhere I just need to go do some digging.
But the new truck has springs and shocks all installed and is back on all 4 tires. Other than the brake lines, I need to install the caster plates and front panhard this weekend and it should be good to go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior