Opinions Wanted - Chromecast or Apple TV for Mixed OS household?

nwoods

Expedition Leader
My household has all Mac computers, but we are a mixed bunch when it comes to phones and tablets, with some on iPhone/iPad and the rest on Android.
We recently won a new TV that has 4 HDMI inputs, which replaces a 15 year old unit (So excited!) that didn't have any HDMI inputs, so for the first time we have the long awaited opportunity to stream content from our devices to our TV. I can't tell you how many times we've sat around the table wanting to show something to the family as a whole on the big screen. I am REALLY looking forward to this!

But I'm confused by the options available:
1. Can I display photos from my Mac hardrive to the TV using Chromecast? I know I can with AirPlay, but not sure if I need another app installed to do this with Chromecast, or if its even possible.
2. Are there any apps that Android users can install to allow them to stream to an Apple TV?
3. Can I plug a Chromecast Key AND an Apple TV into the same TV without exploding something? Seems like I just need to select the appropriate HDMI input on the TV, and they be able to co-exist just fine, right?

What doesn't really interest me:
We don't have HBO, Netflix or Hulu, so streaming "channels" really is unimportant to me. I am not going to be adding more cost impacts to the budget for access to those content sources, so its simply not a factor. I have AT&T U-verse basic and a decent Internet connection, so mostly would be streaming YouTube or various websites, or pictures/videos from our local devices.

Also, not sure if this is a factor, but I am using a 5GHz 802.11n wifi router

Based on those parameters, what would you guys recommend?

java

Expedition Leader
I have an early version of Chromcast. I like it, I use it for Youtube mostly, and thats about it (pandora occasionally). You can mirror a tablet (android 5.0+IIRC), or a tab from chrome. I have a media player app on my phone that will allow me to use pretty much any streaming service online, its Avia player.

I don't think there would be an issue with both an apple and android device plugged in at the same time. The Chromcast does turn the TV on if you send something for it to play, that might fight with the apple stuff but I dont know.

The chromcast will display photos, not sure if from a mac device (maybe using Chrome?)

Chazz Layne

Administrator
We love doing the same, especially with trip photo slideshows. Considering how inexpensive the Chromecast is, I'd go with option #3 and run both (assuming two of those new HDMI ports are available). AirPlay is futzy enough in a 100% Apple environment—while there are Android/Windows options for doing AirPlay they aren't the most reliable. The AppleTV will still be the most seamless experience from Mac and iDevices.

The more devices you have on WiFi, the less network speed is available for each one. It's typically not an issue unless you're doing a lot of file transfers between computers on the local network.

LocoCoyote

World Citizen
Seriously, get both. The Chromecast is dirt cheap and is a rather nifty device. Since you are a all Mac household, the Apple TV will complement your iTunes viewing....

mallthus

Pretty good at some stuff
I have both and the Chromecast has been in a drawer for nearly a year. It's been almost unusable in our Mac/PC/iOS household.

It is possible to push the contents of a Chrome browser tab to the Chromecast, but it's extremely bandwidth hungry and jerky.

If I had an Android device, I might feel better about the Chromcast.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the feedback guys. Yeah, $25 for the Chromecast is amazingly low. Definitely a no-brainer. Now that $90 Apple TV is a bit more chunder.... With that and the new TV stand I need, this "free" TV is costing me a bunch! I should get all the bits in a week or so. I'll update then and let you all know how it went.

Chazz Layne

Administrator
I have the full-blown Amazon Fire TV and couldn't be happier (note: I've also been Prime for years, so tons of video and music is already in my library). I'm running over a less than ideal internet connection, buffering has been fantastic. Most apps work well, and all of the native services (music, video, slideshow, etc.) have been nearly flawless. YouTube does occasionally crap out, but it still works far better than their app on other smart devices—a quick hop to Home and back into the app clears it up.

I liked the full Fire TV so much I pre-ordered the Fire Stick for my office back in October, but it's not due in until January 9th. If you end up waiting that long feel free to ping me for a report on the experience.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Chazz, what about the simple ability to share your screen from your tablet/phone to the TV? Does the Fire TV do that well?

We are amazon prime members, but in the 3 years or so we've been a prime member, we have watched exactly 1 movie. I have searched for a movie maybe 6 other times, and they didn't have what I wanted, so I just don't ever use it. Now, KindlePrime is a whole other deal. I use that several times a week!

Chazz Layne

Administrator
I use it more for the shipping than anything (lots of stuff we can't get in stores locally), but I love that they keep adding benefits. I cancelled Pandora shortly after they added music.

It is supposed to screen share with tablets and phones, though I never had a need so haven't used that feature. In theory all Android devices could work, though only the Fire, Google, LG, Moto and Samsung devices are "officially" supported (no official HTC support for some reason). I'll give it a try when I get home... no promises though as I run an HTC phone.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Well, it's amazing what a bit of internet sluething will do. It seems that this TV is a Samsung, and they have a few technologies built right in, including WiFi, and Smart View 2.0 and Screen Mirroring.

Smart View 2.0 allows me to stream FROM the TV to my phone or PC, or vice versa.
http://www.samsung.com/ae/support/smartview2/

iOS version:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/samsung-smart-view-2.0/id858283863?mt=8

It seems that the Samsung phones we have already already compatible with built in screen mirroring:
http://www.samsung.com/us/support/howtoguide/N0000044/14070/167546/PN64F5500AFXZA

Cool!
Screen Shot 2014-12-08 at 3.26.54 PM.jpg

It gets delivered Wednesday night. Can't wait!

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Nathan

We have a Samsung Smart TV and couldn't be happier. Like Chazz, we use Amazon a lot.
It also integrates (pair) with Youtube so you can stream directly from you phone.

We are buying a second one now..

Chazz Layne

Administrator
Cool, looks like you're good to go then. I'll be curious to see how well Samsung's "smart" works, part of the reason I picked up a Fire TV was because Vizio's "smart" was actually very very dumb... :)

paddlenbike

Adventurer
I am not sure what capabilities your new TV may have that overlap with the chromecast, but I bought one for my wife a couple of months ago when our first child was born to help keep her a little more occupied at home. She loves it. Our cable package is very much lacking, but she signed up for the free hulu plus trial that comes with the chromecast and has been watching a lot of HGTV (home remodel programs) that she selected on her phone that is then picked up by the chromecast and displayed on the TV. It's also great for adding youtube videos to a playlist, then the chromecast automatically cycles through the playlist--great for having a bunch of wheeling buddies over while wheeling videos play on the TV.

You can tab cast anything from a browser window, but it does get a little choppy unless you keep the video window at a smaller size. This does not happen at all using actual media streaming apps like hulu, netflix, youtube, etc....ONLY when casting some random video from a browser tab.

It sounds like you're looking for more media content without paying more. Chromecast does get you that to some extent. But to take full advantage, an Amazon TV membership, Netflix, or Hulu Plus would get you even more content.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94