Surly Pugsley Build for Cape Town to Cairo

Sisyphus

Adventurer
This is the bicycle I built for my impending jaunt from South Africa to Egypt. I started with 4130 Cromoly steel from Surly and focused on durability, durability, and durability.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-...AAAAAB4/6mbh3gsGEnA/w713-h535-no/DSC07587.JPG

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-...AAAAACA/72b4fpnMi0U/w713-h535-no/DSC07588.JPG

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-...AAAAACI/Cthxd20WtmU/w713-h535-no/DSC07589.JPG

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-...AAAAACQ/7ywzWvhCvC4/w713-h535-no/DSC07590.JPG

Grand total for all parts and labor: $3594.00

A wiser man than I once told me that it wasn't about the bike, and however right he was, I still can't help but indulge in the 14 internalized gears that the Rohloff gods suggested to me, or the sheer beauty in Phil Wood bottom brackets.

I understand that many have completed such adventures without spending so much on the bicycle, but for now, I'll just applaud them and continue on my wayward journey with this green steed.

Happy Trails!

ober27

Adventurer
Beautiful set up. I've been reading about the Rohloff Hubs, they sound fantastic. Will you have a trip thread here? I'd love to here more about your trip plans.

Sisyphus

Adventurer
Thanks!

I will for sure have a trip thread here, but I would suspect that a majority of the updates will be on my main blog.

reachdean

Observer
That looks like a solid build!

I was the mechanic on the 2007 Tour d'Afrique (Cairo to Cape Town, 12,000kms). A couple of our clients had Rolhoff hubs, and they were bombproof. I've wanted one ever since. Equally smart to go with cable brakes (just bring lots of pads, as I don't expect you'll find any outside of SA).

What are you doing for tubes/tires in terms of flat prevention? I found that thorny plants are somehow magnetically drawn to tires, so tubes and patch kits are needed in bulk. Also, How are Surly's tires in hot climates? I DESTROYED a set of Finnish Nokians not long into the trip due to what I presume was the fact they're a tire better suited to temperate conditions. When I switched to Maxxis, the resilience in hot temps was vastly improved.

I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Being a dweller of the Southwest, I find fatbike tires are like vacuums sucking up any pokey protrusion within 100 feet. I get quite a few flats per year on my fatbike.

I also think you're build looks sweet. I had a Rolhoff hub years ago and just couldn't bring myself to like it. It had everything to do with the overall build and the disproportionate weight it created. But, having ridden them on fatbikes and other more hefty but solid touring builds, they Rohlhoff does seem ideal.

Looks like a sweet bike to me!

Sisyphus

Adventurer
I still have about a year until I leave so I have time to experiment with tubes/tires and am also considering going tubeless. I have less than 600 miles on the bike since I built it so I'm still figuring out tread wear in different temps and surfaces. I'm hopeful that considering the tread depth of the nate, I might be able to just carry one extra tire for the trip considering all of the weight and wear will be on the rear. We'll see though.

Sisyphus

Adventurer
Being a dweller of the Southwest, I find fatbike tires are like vacuums sucking up any pokey protrusion within 100 feet. I get quite a few flats per year on my fatbike.

I also think you're build looks sweet. I had a Rolhoff hub years ago and just couldn't bring myself to like it. It had everything to do with the overall build and the disproportionate weight it created. But, having ridden them on fatbikes and other more hefty but solid touring builds, they Rohlhoff does seem ideal.

Looks like a sweet bike to me!

I will say by no means is the rohloff lightweight but given the purpose, I have no interest in going fast on this trip. The ability to downshift at a stop is a wonderful luxury though.

reachdean

Observer
Also, the first service interval on those hubs is something like 7500 mi, isn't it? That's a long way across Africa.

I'd suggest two spares. I went through way more spares than I anticipated, and at the time 26x2.10 was easily the main standard, and tires had to be shipped to meet us as no supplies were available locally.

If not a second spare tire, get a boot kit and learn how to use it.

DC

Sisyphus

Adventurer
Also, the first service interval on those hubs is something like 7500 mi, isn't it? That's a long way across Africa.

I'd suggest two spares. I went through way more spares than I anticipated, and at the time 26x2.10 was easily the main standard, and tires had to be shipped to meet us as no supplies were available locally.

If not a second spare tire, get a boot kit and learn how to use it.

DC

Once I get a few thousand miles on my current tires, I'll have a pretty good idea at how long they'll last and hopefully I don't have to carry more than two tires because each one take about 4 litres of packing space. Oil change is suggested at 5,000mi for the rohloff but I have 20,000 miles on theirs and haven't changed it.

I'll probably change the oil just before I leave and that should be fine.

I am still pondering bag setup right now. Am considering carrying all of my water in my frame bag in a platypus, any suggestions for large water storage?

Butch1979

Family Adventurer
I like the build and look forward to how it treats you on the ride! Please keep us posted on the adventure.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I am still pondering bag setup right now. Am considering carrying all of my water in my frame bag in a platypus, any suggestions for large water storage?
I think that's a fine idea, really. I have used Platy bags for years and they really are virtually indestructible. For warm weather rides with limited water, I use two Platypus Big Zip 3-liter reservoirs with one on my back and one in my frame bag. I prefer nothing on my back, but sometimes those big water hauls require I put some water weight on my back. I also almost always carry at least one additional Platypus 1-liter soft bottle for those times when I have to carry just a bit extra. The advantages of soft carriers is in the collapsibility. If I don't need more than 3-liters, I just roll up the other reservoirs and they take up no space at all, unlike hard bottles.

It really just depends on what you get used to using, but those reservoirs work for me.

If you use Platypus Water Tanks, just take a couple extra caps just in case you lose or break one. If you use the Big Zip hydration bags, carry an extra drink hose, or at least the mouthpiece and quick connector. I've never had either fail, but do carry spares. The bags themselves....virtually impossible to destroy.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier