Tube crawler style buggy and Rtt thoughts.

98dango

Expedition Leader
OK hear is my idea thought. I have been known to run some hard trails as a camping trip. I want a full crawler buggy. Wife says I need fewer rigs. So how do you all think a 4 seat chassis would do with a roof top tent. I know not normal and yes adds it's own challenges like street legal and things. However I think this could work. I only need 2 seats so rear section can be for cargo. A large fuel cell 32 gallon or so. Why would this not work. Only planning on 3 day max out of this rig. Wife and I do pack very light and still will have my superduty for long trips.

I am looking at the Ibex goat 4 seat chassis and the Artec Ultra SS 4 seat. Both would use a gm 5.3 460 and Atlas transfer case. Dana 60s front and rear Arb air lockers 39" irocks on bead locks 4 link front and rear with coal over shocks.

WagoneerSX4

Adventurer
I think the only obstacles would be making it street legal, always being exposed to the elements, and your gear always being exposed to the elements. And by the looks of those rigs, you'd basically be packing like you would for a back-packing trip.

For what either of those would cost I might start out with a bare frame and a tub of a jeep or even a mini truck and build that up. Then at least you'd get a roof and a windshield. If you pick a truck you could flush mount the tent to the bed and you'd keep a low profile and possibly even roll cage over it somehow to keep it on the extreme side.

98dango

Expedition Leader
I have 2 scouts can't get them where I want to go. Yes you must pack light. Every thing needed for 15 days we got in a Suzuki Samurai. So we don't take much. Ya a windshield and side panels are a must.

v_man

Explorer
You want this buggy to be smogged , registered , street legal etc? And you are going to drive it to the trail and drive it home ?

With the specs you layed out there I'd just make it a trail rig and trailer it ... No need for silly things like mud flaps, license plate lights , and windshields. Especially with all that heavy $hit like 60's and 39" Irok's, you're rig will be heeaavvyyy... I ran 39" Irok bias-ply on my DD 4Runner and it sucked . Loud , heavy , constant vibrations and they wore quickly . Why sink all that money into expensive tires and then burn 'em up getting to the trail ...

As for the RTT on top of said buggy , it seems kind of silly and counter intuitive to put a heavy brick at the highest point of your vehicle on these hard trails you're looking to get on. Just one man's opinion ... good luck .

98dango

Expedition Leader
In az where I live no smog. I do see the pain in it. I do have other rigs. Honestly I have to many 2 scouts 2 s10 blazers 94chevy 4x4 on37s 87 Chevy stock 91 ramcharger tons 40s 2000 super duty 35s arbs bla bla. I'm sure I have forgotten stuff. So I have other options. I just wonder how this would work. Where I live a quad is street legal hell I have 3 of them. I just think I could eliminate a lot if this could work.

98dango

Expedition Leader
No I am a mechanic by trade. So I end up with things in good deals. I actually moving from Montana to Arizona. Currently working in Arizona with all my stuff in Montana. Part of why I want to sell all much of it.

RedF

Adventurer
Is it practical? Probably not, but if it fits the bill for you, go for it!

3 day "expeditions" on difficult trails is not going to take you very far from home base, so getting home after the trail won't be that bad.

98dango

Expedition Leader
I plan to tow if I go to Moab or such but if I take off out my back yard 3 days can get me a ways. I don't plan to run freeway I could but I have a truck for that.

WagoneerSX4

Adventurer
I still say what you want is counterprodutive. If your trails are hard enough that you need a buggy on 40's, sounds more like you're into it for the sport of crawling instead of purely overlanding. I say trailer a purpose-built buggy - seems to be what you really want to be doing anyways - and outfit the trailer rig for overlanding. Nothing wrong with having a base camp.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
These days a JK on 37-39 inch tires will go 90% of the places a buggy will go for about the same cost, sell off the clunkers in the yard and buy a JK.

CodyY

Explorer
meh, naysayers.

simplify. sell all the junk up there so you don't have to move it, get what you can get for it. Get yourself an Ibex 4 seater with an LS motor and overdrive trans. Order all the closure panels, do a flip-down windscreen and heated seats. Build it right, make it cool, make it servicable with parts from the local auto supply. Your wife will appreciate it, your time will appreciate it and so will your wallet in the long run.

98dango

Expedition Leader
meh, naysayers.

simplify. sell all the junk up there so you don't have to move it, get what you can get for it. Get yourself an Ibex 4 seater with an LS motor and overdrive trans. Order all the closure panels, do a flip-down windscreen and heated seats. Build it right, make it cool, make it servicable with parts from the local auto supply. Your wife will appreciate it, your time will appreciate it and so will your wallet in the long run.

That has been my plan and likely still my plan.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
meh, naysayers.

:rappel::iagree:

gohuge

Observer
Had friends that had sweet street legal rails with racks, fuel, and loads of gear, that would go on
AZ adventures all the time. Like, Tucson to Cabo by dirt...this was 20 yrs ago. Do it, you can make
it work. They even had zipper doors made to keep out the elements....Today, it would be even easier
to do. Full panel rails are common. Just remember to post pics of the build.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94