Eezi-Awn or other RTT user tips

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
Since my new aquisition, I was wondering what type of tricks or tips you good folks have specifically for the Eezi-Awn tents.

I was thinking along these lines:
  • Set up/ pack up.
  • Waterproofing
  • Better/finer mesh for those "no see ums".
  • Bedding how do you store it in the tent?
  • Tent storage and care after the season's use.

This is what I have read so far:
Roof Top Tent and the Uncomfortable Mattress

RTT's and Rain

How to make the Roof Top Tent is Level

Our very own Graham Jackson wrote: Caring for your rooftop tent.

Scott mentionned something about storing the pillows in plastic bags then placing them between the tent cover and bottom of the tent when folded up in the 2008 Gear Guide issue of Overland Journal.

I hope that this post becomes a source of tricks and tips for Roof Top Tent users. Post up what you have learned so that we can all benefit.
Regards,
Pierre

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
Good idea for a thread. I am definitely interested in what is done with bedding and other tips and tricks.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
For bedding we use a cotton sheet over the mattress, a down comforter, and feather pillows. When we pack the tent up the sheet is left on the mattress, the comforter is folded in half along the line of the hinge, and the pillows left in place. As the bedding is all feathers it compacts easily making it easier to fit the tent cover. When the tent is opened back up all you have to do is fluff the pillows and comforter.

A fine mesh mozi net could be installed using Velcro tabs attached to the screen that is in place.

For storage I'd recommend storing it vertically with the hinge on the upper end. Place some wooden blocks under the bottom to keep it off the concrete floor. Storing it flat without adequate support could lead to a bowing of the wooden base.

Apart from extremely old RTT's (25 years plus) I have not found waterproofing to be an issue. Make sure the tent is aired out and dry before storing.

crazyjane

Observer
I haven't read all the links you put up there.
I don't know if there was anything in there for squeaks. Mine did quite a bit. I put some lemon oil wood treatment on the wood inside the tent. That really cut down on the squeaks as well as hopefully helping to keep the wood a little more preserved. If it does happen to become a leaker.

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
I recommend the bedding suggestions made by Mario. I also opt for a thin feather bed over the mattress in cold weather.

I prefer tents to be stored:

1. In a lift against the garage ceiling

2. Indoors on sawhorses, folded and with the travel attached

3. Indoors leaning up against the wall, narrow end down, and fully compressed. I do not know if the Ezi-Awn has compression straps like the OverLand, but if it does, they should be tight. leave the cover on and place the floor side on a bit of matteress, and on a couple of 2X4 blocks, to avaiod dampness from the concrete floor.

Further tips --

Use a rubber of AstroTurf matt to place under the foot of the ladder for stability, and to reduce dirt and leaves, etc. being tracked into the tent.

Keep the outside of the fabric dirt and dust free - as much as possible. Crud on the fabric will compromise it. You can set up the tent and wash with a brush and VERY mild detergent and garden hose. Let it dry fully before storage.

Keep a 12V halogen light handy for use inside the tent - plug into the cigarette lighter - don't attach it directly to the battery if you can help it - this will be an unfused link and potentially dangerous. FIng one that can hang from the struts.

In lieu of a heater, use a thicker down quilt. If the wife (or you) want more warmth, you might try a 12V electric blanket - I don't like them, but some people do. Use it to pre-warm the bedding before retiring.

Use the tent for a while before you order a bunch of accessories - you will find what is needed for your special needs.

An interior cargo net is a very good idea - you can store clothes and shoes, books, etc in it, and remove to the vehicle before folding up the tent.

Just a few ideas for comfort and convenience...

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Mike S said:
<snip>

Keep a 12V halogen light handy for use inside the tent - plug into the cigarette lighter - don't attach it directly to the battery if you can help it - this will be an unfused link and potentially dangerous. FIng one that can hang from the struts.

Mike this doesnt sound very safe...operating temperature of a 10 watt JJL halogen lamp is +200 degrees. LED would be a better choice very low heat and low power consumption.

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
LandCruiserPhil said:
Mike this doesnt sound very safe...operating temperature of a 10 watt JJL halogen lamp is +200 degrees. LED would be a better choice very low heat and low power consumption.

LED is better from current draw and heat standpoint -- but my old eyes and the tiny print on my maps requires dazzling amounts of light. I figure it might be lit for 30 minutes to an hour max on a daily basis. Not enough to worry about draining the battery(s).

I have Geoorge's LEDs as dome lights in my 80, but I also have the map light in the overhead console... I need light that I can read by.

M

shartzer

Observer
Interesting thread.

Does anyone have ideas on getting a jamed zipper unjamed? I got an unused Eezi Awn from a private seller and it came with a pretty nasty jam. Tried pulling like crazy and then the seems started to pull so I figure I would wait till I get a better idea how to fix it.

Martyn

Mike S said:
LED is better from current draw and heat standpoint -- but my old eyes and the tiny print on my maps requires dazzling amounts of light. I figure it might be lit for 30 minutes to an hour max on a daily basis. Not enough to worry about draining the battery(s).

I have Geoorge's LEDs as dome lights in my 80, but I also have the map light in the overhead console... I need light that I can read by.

M

Mike it's time for some Braille maps :D

Martyn

shartzer said:
Interesting thread.

Does anyone have ideas on getting a jamed zipper unjamed? I got an unused Eezi Awn from a private seller and it came with a pretty nasty jam. Tried pulling like crazy and then the seems started to pull so I figure I would wait till I get a better idea how to fix it.

Does it look like the it's jumped a tooth or is it just caught?

I think I'd start by lubricate the teeth of the zipped and see if I could gently work through the snag.

The zippers are self repairing so if you can work it through it should sort itself out.

In the worst case scenario as the zippers are cut to length and sealed by sewing the ends, rather than using metal or plastic tabs, you could undo the stitching at the end of the zipper, separate the two sides, clear the jam, zip it back up and seal the end again.

4RunAmok

Explorer
Mike S said:

M
Guess you have not seen the Pelican 7060.
130 Lumen. Eat your heart out, Halogen.
http://www.pelican.com/lights_detail.php?recordID=7060

FYI, I almost blinded myself with this flashlight on a map when the beam reflected back at me. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles