Titan or yukon build

Jkenosh

Observer
I want to build a expo veichle for light camping around the Midwest. I was going to build my dd 2012 titan. But than I bought a 2002 yukon xl that needed brakes to resell and was thinking I might build that instead. I'm thinking the titan is more reliable but if it does break I'm kinda hard pressed to get parts whereas the yukon is a lot easier to get parts for and its paid for and don't need to worry about scratching and denting it. The only downfall of the Yukon is I don't like the autotrack transfer case What one would you build. Thanks

mike the welder

Adventurer
I would build the Yukon for the main reason you mentioned it's paid for and you won't feel as bad when you scratch or dent it. Getting parts is another, most towns if they have only a couple of dealerships they will probably be Chevy, Ford or Dodge. Every parts store carries parts for GM trucks. In the Yukon most of your gear will be secure inside, where in the Titan your gear would be in the bed. If you don't like tent camping you can always sleep inside the Yukon, I sleep in the back of my Suburban all the time because I hate sleeping on the ground. I think there is a transfer case swap you can do to get rid of the autotrack, but don't quote me on that.

I never thought I would like my Suburban as much as I do, but it's the best 4k I ever spent. My Suburban being a 1999 and cheap I'm not afraid to modify it to suit my needs either. I do worry about breaking down, but I have AAA to get me to the nearest repair facility. I have also started fixing known issues before they become an issue for me. I wish I had more power, but I expect to have to replace the engine by 250k (I'm at 170k now) and when I do I plan to put the GM crate 383. It's a direct swap with only a mild tune on the ECU needed.

Good luck

Jkenosh

Observer
I really like mine to. I like the way it rides compared to my titan. Just feels more comfortable. That the one I think I'm gonna start with

Bojak

Adventurer
I would say the Yukon, although I just watched a build up documentary on a wounded warrior titan and it was pretty cool. I've owned some nissans and think highly of them. Not sure if I would want to build one for my own personal expo rig, but the older I get the cheaper and simpler I get. I would stay domestic just because in the middle of nowhere you want to have a next day air conversation as little as possible.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior