The All Wheel Drive Sprinter is Here

762X39

Explorer
I was driving past the dealership this morning and I saw the new 4WD Sprinter in person.There is a solid front axle Sprinter with European plates kicking around town (I have seen it 3 times now in passing) but the new Sprinter is available to anyone that wants a bad road exploration (or work) van.:coffee:
IMG_3231.jpg
IMG_3232.jpgIMG_3233.jpg
IMG_3230.jpgIMG_3234.jpg

njtacoma

Explorer
It looks great. I will stop in my local sprinter dealer to check one out if/when they get one in.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Yes, indeed, what a long, strange trip it's been, 4WD-wise. First "coming next year" in 2006, and then three or four more "this time for sure" sets of predictions.

Glad it's here, though. And a pretty competent system. I wonder who'll be the first to take a Sawzall to their $50K+ van to get room for some bigger tires. ;)

Err

Observer
Got my order in a few weeks back. Hoping to make it into a proper adventure van and gear hauler.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Got my order in a few weeks back. Hoping to make it into a proper adventure van and gear hauler.
Congratulations. Lots of us (me among them) are eagerly waiting to hear reports from the early adopters. We'll very much appreciate hearing all your opinions once your truck arrives..

DEFENDERBEAM

strategic command
yeah, finally.

But the op is in canada, been spotted in the states yet?

do these current diesels in the sprinter use that urea fluid the USA trucks are doing?

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
Yep. and a particulate filter etc. Lots of computers and sensors too. Modifying one will be interesting...

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Yep. and a particulate filter etc. Lots of computers and sensors too. Modifying one will be interesting...
An excellent point, for sure. Even modest modifications have proven difficult, and there's very often been an issue of two that never does get completely worked out. To put it mildly, Sprinters haven't historically been an easy truck to dink around with. I'm afraid this is one 4x4 that's going to be best for people who are pretty satisfied with it as it sits.

Not that any 2015s are built for backyard fiddling. We're apparently in the age of computerized trucks with electrical systems that take a couple hundred pages of shop manual to cover, and Sprinters pretty much require an expensive dealer-level tool like the MB Diagnostic Star System to even know what's going on. Equally annoying, NCV3 Sprinters have a fully-multiplexed wiring system with multiple CAN busses, of which you are told "To avoid electromagnetic interference, fault codes or false signals to the electronic control units, never cut into or interfere with the Sprinter's CAN wiring harnesses."

Great . . . cut the wrong wire when you go to add a power port and you brick your truck. :sombrero:

Err

Observer
Yeah, my build will mainly focus on heater and general climate control, solar, fridge, and other such electronics toys along with a comfy space to sit and sleep . I'll probably fit at least 265's but maybe a touch bigger but nothing radical. I've built a few rigs for more serious offroad but this rig will be mainly to haul my toys and be my base camp. 4x4'n is fun but fully throttle on an angry 2-stroke (sled or moto) or even pinned on an MTB is more my speed when it comes to off pavement fun. My 4x4 capability will be mainly for snow and sandy desert roads, nothing too extreme.

Interestingly, having recently helped a friend install an Espar, it's pretty cool how easy it is to run wires, tap extra fuel lines, and generally install add-ons. Just don't mess with the ECU.

Racingdad

Adventurer
I just received confirmation that my 2500 144" Cargo Sprinter 4x4 will be delivered April 2015. So it's time to start really start the research and design phase. I like Outside Vans rear extension to allow sleeping across the Vans width to give more room inside so I can use a two panel bed rather than a three panel. Store our bikes underneath the panel bed. Small food prep area. Cabinets, port potty, outside shower. Need seating for four so I will have to plan well. Plenty of options. I really want to thoroughly insulate the van with heating and cooling for all 4 seasons. Solar power needed for off grid stays. Really don't want to use a generator. Anyway need to get busy now!

Merry Christmas!

Tad

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Congratulations, Tad. Glad to hear this.

I like Outside Vans rear extension to allow sleeping across the Vans width to give more room inside so I can use a two panel bed rather than a three panel.
You probably already thought of this, but as you consider your floorplan, make sure you really have all of the bed length you'll need to stretch out straight. There's quite a curve to the Sprinter sidewalls, so with the bed up toward the top third of the van (along with whatever is lost to insulation and walls), it can't be as long as the width given on the spec sheet.

Racingdad

Adventurer
Absolutely Mike. I have yet to confirm true transverse dimensions although in discussion with Outside Van they assured me that at 6'1" I'd have plenty of room. Of course I will make a visit to Portland and give it a try first hand. Here is the pictures from their site regarding what I'd like to consider with the flare panels widening the van and using a two panel bed laying across the van.

Tad

Outside Van flare panels.jpgTwo Panel bed.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior