Cabela's Alaskan Guide 6 Person Geodesic Tent

dpsmedic

Adventurer
Looking for a tent to use in conjunction with traveling in my Rubicon. I like the interior height and features of the Cabela's Alaskan Guide 6 Person Geodesic Tent, but reading a couple of reviews indicating that it is hard to impossible for 1 person to set up. I plan to use cots to sleep on. I had been looking at The North Face Mountain 25 tent, but that would not allow me to stand up and would probably end up on a mattress sleeping. But I can set that up by myself. Does anyone have experience here they can share?

Ssyork

We have owned the cabelas one for over 10 years now. It's a good tent and has held up well in rain and some snow. Two cots and a dog on the floor basically fills it up. Once we had kids we started using an air mattress instead of cots. As to putting it up, it's pretty tough with one person. All it takes is someone to hold the middle and the other to keep moving around the edge. It's not the fastest or easiest to get put up compared to what's available today. If we start tent camping more we will be looking for something new probably.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Biggunns

I bought 2 turbo tents this past summer and I don't think I'll ever go back to dome tents. When I go out alone or with just 2 of my boys I take the 4 person freestander, you can easily fit 2 larger cots in this one. If it's going to be the whole family (6) we take the freestander and the pineview 8, kids get the big tent and mom & dad get the smaller tent. These tents are made for 1 person setup. http://www.blackpinesports.com/black-pine-pineview-8-turbo-tent

My only complaint is that when packed up the bag is 40" long. That's kind of tight to put into a vehicle but it fits perfectly across the roof rack.

Ryan
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ebg18t

Adventurer
Also check out the Big Agnes tents. I haven't tried to do by myself. But I think if I staked it down first it is possible.

aruss

I would suggest that most tents of that size will be a challenge for a single person to set up. As suggested above staking it out first and practice would probably make it manageable. I have had my eye on the Cabela's tent for a while because it is supposed to be bombproof. Inflatable tents would solve the problem of dealing with the excessively long poles necessary for standing room, but there are potential issues with leaks.

http://www.kelty.com/co-airpitch-tents.aspx

http://www.heimplanet.com/en/tents/

Last edited:

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
What about something like the REI Kingdome 6/8 or Big Agnes Flying Diamond? They get good reviews and are cheaper than the Cabelas.

If you don't mind the extra weight, I agree with srserl about the Kodiak (and Springbar) tents. I can put my 10x10 up easily myself. It takes me more than 15 minutes if you include staking it down and total time start to finish, but I think it goes up pretty fast. They also make 10x14 version. But the vertical walls and tall height are awesome if you end up spending any time in the tent. More durable than nylon as well.

dpsmedic

Adventurer
Thanks all. Some good options to review..moving away from the Cabela's since most travel will be solo.

john101477

Photographer in the Wild
I have 2 Big Agnes tents and 1 Cabelas Alaknak.
The Alaknak is absolutely my favorite but not the best for just over night as it takes me by myself 30 minutes to set up and it is BIG, not just in footprint but when packed.
The Big Agnes tents I have are good but the 6 man Flying Diamond is just shy of me being able to stand fully with out touching the top.
The Big Agnes Wyoming Trail 4 is pretty unique but has a few draw backs that I mention on www.livingoverland.com

GregSplett

Adventurer
I have the six man cabelas guide.It has performed to the highest standards.It spends its time on the Olympic penninsula most of which is in the west side of the mountains(rain forest).It is going to spend Christmas with me and the family on the Hoh river.It has withstood the test of time and some of the worst mother nature can through at it.

My wife can set it up buy herself pretty well.It takes a bit though.I can but loose patience.Long story short I do not recommend this tent for solo use.It is a pain in the *** to set up solo.

luckyjoe

Adventurer
Solo? My personal preference is as small a tent as possible. I find it much more convenient to have everything at arms reach, especially if you'll encounter weather. I'm not a cot fan, so a few inches clearance in a sitting position is all I need. Take the "person" ratings with a grain of salt. At 6'4", to me, a 2-person tent is a "me" tent. I can easily make due, but a 3-person give me enough room for extended stay or 0-degree camping gear.

We have six Cabela's Alaskan Guide 6-man tents for our Scout Troop. They are a great shelter for harsh Winter camping, easily swallowing four Scouts plus gear, and the ability to keep the wind out!

Regards,
Tom P.

dpsmedic

Adventurer
has anyone had experience with the OzTent F-25? How do you like it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ikk

Adventurer
I have the REI Kindome 6, I can do it on my own in about 15 min. What I usually do, is set all the poles up on the ground and then with the help of my wife I lift the sides. I only need her help for like a minute and can get the tent up in less then 10. The Kingdom is also nice as it has a vestibule on rain fly and also has an optional garage attachment or optional second vestibule. here is a pic of ours with the garage attachment.

GetAttachment.jpgGetAttachment (1).jpgGetAttachment (2).jpg

jdillard

Observer
Looking for a tent to use in conjunction with traveling in my Rubicon. I like the interior height and features of the Cabela's Alaskan Guide 6 Person Geodesic Tent, but reading a couple of reviews indicating that it is hard to impossible for 1 person to set up. I plan to use cots to sleep on. I had been looking at The North Face Mountain 25 tent, but that would not allow me to stand up and would probably end up on a mattress sleeping. But I can set that up by myself. Does anyone have experience here they can share?

I have the Mountain 25, or Expedition 25 or whatever it was called at the time. Only difference is that the door is on the long side, which I prefer. It's been a good tent - cozy but the oval shape works well with storing gear. I'd highly recommend it for a bombproof 2-person shelter.

For stand-up room, Backcountry.com has 20% off right now on many Marmot tents, which makes them competitive with some of the lesser brands. I picked up a Halo 6 for under $425. They have the Limestone 6 for about $75 less, and the big Limestone 8 is on sale, too, if you want to carry a small house around with you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94