TMC'S XJ project "Fire-Road Runner"

TMC-113

Observer
My 97+ parking brake handle....the turnbuckle I originally used just wasn't cutting it. It worked fine for awhile but it kept having to be adjusted since obviously the turnbuckle itself is adjustable as well as the linkage to the actual brake cables.

I ended up using rubber-coated steel cable (similar to factory, but thicker and from a building supply) and some crimping sleeves. I also had to get a nice solid rubber grommet to protect the cable from the hand brake mount (also similar to the factory one).

80-img_1050_8d6087d41127ebe0f7394a27e291e61f555e4182.jpg

You have to insert the grommet into the bottom where the linkage will be.

80-img_1051_dfaedf4df429100cfe9dba61be5e74933e9e02e3.jpg

I then had to remove the factory clip so I would have room for the new thicker cable.

80-img_1052_6bdee0f06fcaa1435c9ce045ec868a8d6b56d31d.jpg

Then pass the cable through the brake handle and back next to itself through the crimping sleeve. Then just use a chisel or flat head punch and crimp the sleeve.

80-img_1053_6346294b98c9ce4f41003e6af5027f96a9bbc8ee.jpg

I did use the factory linkage under the Jeep that connects to the actual brake cables. The nice thing about this setup is there is NO movement anywhere except for the factory linkage nuts where the brake cables attach. With the other setup I had, the turnbuckle could turn as well as the factory linkage.

Here is the finished product:

80-img_1232_4ce3c23a913fe28bcecc7022cc25d24e19d78f94.jpg

80-img_1231_4fa02638d58bcd491bcb37756148682a92357641.jpg

On to the next one!

With a 3" lift most people say you shouldn't need sway bar link extensions, or sway bar drop brackets. However, I noticed the sway bar on my driver's side was at far too low of an angle:

80-img_1224_84aca74d3ee455370900eae305a1be14f91cc0ba.jpg

So I walked around to the passenger side and found this:

80-img_1225_40e823d1df1bce86b66b778a5838b2bc504044c5.jpg

:Wow1:

That's right.

Its touching the coil spring....

So since I don't drive it everyday I started looking on line for some sway bar links or disconnects, and guess what.....they be pricey. :088:

JKS Disco's: $150ish
RE Links: $65ish with adapters
RC Disco's: $69ish

So, I figure I would make my own. Well seeing as how there aren't many places around to buy heim joints and the stuff online was up there in price too, I was coming up empty.

Until.....

.....I found Pro Comp Sway Bar Links with adapters for 3"-5" lift for $40 online with free shipping!

BAM! SOLD!

80-img_1222_d5ebbf657bdf3e5d8f866d37265766e3ca792775.jpg

80-img_1223_c3b369015d3a761ef6888c5b39220d44553adfb3.jpg

80-img_1226_cd06a8acd037ac006e545d75e11dadac3d41456d.jpg

I was prepared for this to take awhile after reading all the posts that talk about stuck nuts, broken bolts, and so forth. Honestly, maybe it's because they don't use salt up here or maybe I just lucked out, but I got everything off without a hitch. I didn't even have a torx bit for the lower bolt, but it unbolted and even came out of the axle bracket easily.

Obviously you can see the difference. All the hardware was included, you just have to reuse the lower factory bolt/nut.

80-img_1227_b5698f0ee4fa0b248f365587cd09ab3c3d915de0.jpg

Here you can see on the left one where it was rubbing on the coil spring....nice little flat smooth spot on the washer and bushings.

80-img_1230_5dbb2754f7da7782c2fdcd54e63cda93d09192a1.jpg

Driver's side installed:

80-img_1228_aa6bf61cec9f5434f23b42bedd14a28d245c3377.jpg

Passenger side installed:

80-img_1229_82e5564fabf64bdc62966692a43bcbc4decb7107.jpg

Took it for a quick test drive to see how it sounded and felt. It may just be my imagination, but it seems like it drove better. It felt a little tighter, steered a little better, and seemed smoother over bumps. The other nice thing is all I would need to do to make them disco's is buy two replacement lower bolts and I got myself a nice setup.
:D

On to the next one!

So I've been wanting to change some stuff on my front end grill area. Now I know what your thinking and no....No I didn't do angry eyes :rolleyes:

No thanks. :confused:

My grill is one of the chrome colored ones, but its fairly beat up. Don't get me wrong, the plastic itself is in great shape no broken pieces or anything like that. The chrome paint was missing in spots and I just wanted to spruce it up a bit.

BEFORE:

80-img_1233_9a593d5e68feb2ad6de93147b5fcfadd1553fc75.jpg

A little scruffing and painting and....

AFTER:

80-img_1238_c47396f1d98c1d8314bdb3448feb559bbec5c11d.jpg

Just FYI that last picture makes it look like its got the gangster lean, but thats just the angle of the ground down towards the street.

I kinda like the mix of black and chrome. Plus, its a nice little finishing touch to round out a good day of wrenching.
:wings:

Last edited:

TMC-113

Observer
As of this post, it is officially up to date to where I am today.

Here are updated side shots of my new sway bar angle.

80-image_ebbb895c3ba7c53a1bd4127373ff554eb09d58c2.jpg

80-image_bfff29c4e2025b19d27773d58a14bb20478e194c.jpg

As you can see, they are a MUCH better angle. It may be slightly high, but the links are for 3-5" lifts and I am at the bottom of that.

More stuff in the mail, so updates soon. Thanks for reading!

iluv83vettes

Adventurer
I finally got the turbines and second set of tires from the PO shop. I swapped them out. Im kinda liking the look of the turbines so far, although I wonder if I could sell the turbines for more $$$ than the black steelies.
:drool:
I would keep the turbines. You might be able to get a little bit more for them, but it would likely take much longer to sell them. Also the aluminum rims will have it drive all around better since they are lighter.

V1GiLaNtE

Keeping with your budget mind set I would obtain your 3" lift by grabbing some ZJ coil springs and stacking a few coil spring isolators to get you up in lift.

For the rear, I would do a bastard pack utilizing an S10 main leaf with the eyes cut off. Adding this to your existing XJ leaf pack should net your 3/3.5".

As for shocks, search around CL and see if you can find a JK Rubicon guy selling his factory shocks. They are PERFECT for 2-4" of lift and will ride quite nicely. They only require pressing out a bushing.

Great budget build!

TMC-113

Observer
Keeping with your budget mind.....

Great budget build!

Thank you! Yeah, once spring hits (since I dont have a shop) Ill probably do the "s-10 pack" mod for the rear springs. Ill probably just run the stock springs/spacers up front for awhile.

Ill have to look into the JK shocks.....my local CL is kinda a dud when it comes to that stuff.

Last edited:

TMC-113

Observer
Love the facelift. and yes, keep the Turbines. Great looking wheels and yiou don't need to go any wider with just 31s.

Thanks so much! I appreciate all the feed back. :D

The black steelies I have are just "stock" looking ones. I saw this picture online and kinda liked the utilitarian look of the rims and tires. Obviously I would NOT go as big as far as tires go.

image.jpg

The ones I have are almost exactly like those rims. I dunno. I cant decide......although Ive got nothing but time. :D

TMC-113

Observer
Wow.

Over 1500 views in about a month. Hopefully some people are enjoying my simple build and getting ideas or just like the entertainment.

:coffee:
Lol

In all seriousness though, this is a amazing site with SOO many neat and interesting people and ideas. Thank you to anyone who has been reading, following along, or participated in the build so far. Thanks again!

Its been below freezing here recently so I havent gotten much Jeep-wrenching time in. I did score some more deals a few weeks back.

-48" Hi Lift $69 (free shipping)
Used my old one all the time in Boise! Never should have sold it before moving to DC

-pair of GE Nighthawk Headlamps $11 ea. (damaged package sale)
Love 'em! Complete difference from stock, plus better peripheral lighting

-Pro Comp Sway Bar links $40 (free shipping)
Work awesome! You already saw/know about those

-and some misc. parts for an upgrade Im working on/gathering parts for
I will install once it gets above freezing!

Also I got quite a haul on some christmas stuff thanks to being hooked up with gift cards. Gotta love the sweet wife and family!
:D

Updates soon! :smiley_drive:

[weather permitting] :yikes:

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Nice XJ and great low cost improvements so far. I echo the thoughts to stick with the turbines over steel wheels. Rides better, lighter, and the turbines have a classic look to them.

TMC-113

Observer
Nice XJ and great low cost improvements so far. I echo the thoughts to stick with the turbines over steel wheels. Rides better, lighter, and the turbines have a classic look to them.

Thank you sir!

That is a theme I have going.....budget and simple. Yeah the turbines are growing more on me lol.

TMC-113

Observer
I woke up this morning to an email with my requested build sheet.

A7 Cloth Low-Back Bucket Seats
ADH Heavy Duty Electrical Group
ADLP Skid Plate Group
ALAP SE Decor Group
APAS Monotone Paint
AWE Up Country Suspension Group
AWJP Visibility / Protection Group
BAFP 130 Amp Alternator
BGAS Power Front Disc/Rear Drum Brakes
CACP Low Back Bucket Seats
CDBP Reclining Front Seats
CFMS Rear Fold w/Removable Cushion Seat
CKAP Carpets - Floor and Cargo Area
CKNP Cargo Compartment Carpet
CKTP Cargo Tie Down Loops
CSAP Spare Tire Cover
CUFP Full Length Floor Console
DBBC All Manual Transmissions
DDQ 5-Speed Manual Transmission
DHNS Command-Trac Part Time 4WD System
DJHS Dana M30/181MM Front Axle
DMMS 3.07 Rear Axle Ratio
DRJS 175MM Rear Axle
DSA Trac-Lok Differential Rear Axle
ERH 4.0L I6 Power Tech Engine
GBBS Tinted Windshield Glass
GCBS Front Door Tinted Glass
GEDS Tinted Rr Drs/Qtr/Liftgate Glass
GEHS Fixed Door Vent Glass
GFA Rear Window Defroster
GRZP Left Remote Mirror
GSZP Right Remote Control Mirror
GTZP Power Mirrors, Fold-Away
HAAP Air Conditioning
JAZS Analog Instrument Cluster
JCAS 85 MPH Primary Speedometer
JHAP Var Intermittent Windshield Wipers
JHBP Rear Window Wiper/Washer
JJAS Cigar Lighter
LAPS Shift Indicator Warning Lamp
LBCS Glove Box Lamp
LMAS Halogen Headlamps
MB1S Black Front Bumper
MB5S Black Rear Bumper
MDAP Front License Plate Bracket
MFFS Black Grille
MHBS Bright Windshield Moldings
MMCS Rear Qtr Solid Window Insert
MMGS Belt Moldings
MTAS Rear Fascia Skid Plate Applique
MWAP Roof Rack
NAAS Federal Emissions
NBKS EVAP Control System
NFAS 20 Gallon Fuel Tank
NMCP Heavy Duty Engine Cooling
RAAC All Radio Equipped Vehicles
RABS AM/FM Radio
RCDP 4 Speakers
SBAS Power Steering
SCES Alcantara Wrap Steering Wheel
SFDP Front Extra HD Shock Absorbers
SGDP Rear Extra HD Shock Absorbers
SUAP Tilt Steering Column
TBBP Full Size Spare Tire
TBLS Inside Mounted Spare Tire
TRNA P225/75R15 OWL Wrangler AT Tires
TZAP Goodyear Brand Tires
WJM 15X7.0 Chrome Wheels
WLZC All Aluminum Wheels
XEAP Tow Hooks
XPFP Protective Coating and Remover
YAAS Build To U.S. Mkt. Specifications

The things I found interesting are:
-HD electrical group
-130a alternator (didnt think you could get that high OEM)
-black bumpers/grille (mine are currently chrome)
-Trak-Lok rear diff
-HD engine cooling
-Alcantara wrap steering wheel (never heard of that before)

Part of me wonders whats all been swapped out/replaced over the years. The bumpers and grille are chrome, the rear axle has some faded paint-pen paint that says 3.07 cherokee which makes me think it was a junkyard replacement, so the trak-lok is probably gone lol. Also, the front engine skid isnt there either.

At any rate, it was neat to see how it came originally. :D

TheViking

Adventurer
I could see the high output alternator because our local volunteer fire department had one, probably just part of the service package. It was a four banger and sucked up hills on the mountain or up the mountain but it did alright otherwise. Also the Jeep Wrangler Sahara had a higher output alternator from the factory.

TMC-113

Observer
I could see the high output alternator......

Hmm.
Interesting.

I guess I just never knew that you could get one from the factory, that high in amperage. If its the same one (probably not lol) that will be nice for accessories and what not.

The only thing I really wish it came with was a tow hitch, but I guess Ill end up having to just buy one unless I find one in the JY.

Oh, and factory carpet delete and a rear 44! :D

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles