LR3 front driveshaft disaster

sunrisehiker

Adventurer
Hi gang.
This weekend , I wanted to tackle a job, that was inaverable anyway as I was postponing it as long as I could, but since I have ordered a re furbished font DIFF, time has come and I had to face a front diff replacement as I have send back the core to get a refund .
As I was maneuvering a diff out with help of a good friend , we realized , that front driveshaft, that connects diff to a Transfer case , was so seized , that we pulled a CV joint apart and bearings fell down. We had to torch -heat up a part,which was a input flange that was seized to diff pinion flange, and hammer it , just to separate it.
Now , I am left with a driveshaft , that has open CV joint and has to be re pack with grease , cage cleaned and put everything together , so we could install a diff to it .My question is :
- Can a driveshaft CV joint could be rebuilt, meaning bearings put back in the cage , input flange aligned and pressed back together or I am out of luck and have to buy a new front driveshaft ? I am guessing , somebody put it together at the factory , right ?It has to be a way to assemble everything together .
Should I take the driveshaft of the T case, somehow , put it on the proper work bench and try to press everything back ?
Lying under the LR3 in below zero took some life out of us today, for sure,but I am willing to go extra mile , if driveshaft is rebuildable.
Please , help me out , as I don't have other car to go to work and I am using friends garage , that lives 35 miles away, meaning, that somebody is gonna drop me off there, tomorrow , so we could continue the struggle . Cheers

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
It is normal to have to "hammer" the CV joint ends out of the flanges on the diff and t-case. I have never had to use a torch though (usually resorted to a few quick raps with the air hammer instead). They pop right out.

With regards to rebuilding the joint, yes it is possible assuming you didnt lose any of the parts. I would take it out and do it on the bench - it will make it easier considering this is your first time.

This is what all the parts look like taken apart:
Rockford-Driveline-Jeep-JK-Driveshaft-High-Speed-CV-Joint.jpg

sunrisehiker

Adventurer
Thanks. I know what you are saying.I did not loose any parts, although LR3 CV joint set up looks totally different.
The bearing cage is hold by a cir clip on the drive shaft , protected by a metal flange with rubber boot.I am trying to put a input flange on the cage.It is completely different design, as bearings are sort of laying loosely hold only by grease in the cage So it is hard to .slide a flange back onto bearings cage as with every move at least one of the bearings is coming down o my chest , laying down under the car.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
You are right that is not specifically an LR3 CV joint pictured but it is the same style of joint - this is a photo of an actual LR3 shaft

TVB500510_LARGE.jpg

I think your terminology is slightly off - it's the star that is attached by circlip, then the bearings, then the cage, and finally the cup/flange

To properly re-assemble you will need to remove the star from the driveshaft, re-assemble the complete joint independently, then install on the shaft and reinstall the circlip. The thin metal cover on the end goes on last.

This is a similar concept:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GN9ZLdZ10M

jpc1818

Adventurer
You can put it back in with no issue. I did this job a few moths ago.
Its difficult to explain, but i will try.
Clean and re-grease the bearings.
When you put it all back, you should "cock" the end so that the bearings are nearly 75% or so, the way in on one side and 15% in on the other. With a firm plastic mallet hit the side sticking out (15%) and it should just snap into place. It works pretty nicely and have done it several times.
LMK if i can help anymore

sunrisehiker

Adventurer
And ...yes I did....with a help of a good friend.
Did not seen the posts, being busy and all, but I was able to put everything back together . Thanks guys.:coffee drink:
I actually used a channel locks with flattened end to press the other end.

Last edited:

tomr67

OK my cv on the rear drive shaft is leaking grease and the carrier bearing is shot, where can I get another boot for the cv and a bearing? I see them for other vehicles just not lr3

DiscoNels

Adventurer
Depending on the age of the truck, I'd replace the whole drive shaft as I have done 2 times now either due to shot hanger bearing or broken drive shaft (aftermarket) last week. Look at it this way, you'll get all new bearings and U-joint.

TIP of the DAY = Use LR Original Equipment drive shaft!!! You do not want to break down on the trail as I did last week.

mawRover

Man, looks like no one has had success in just replacing the cv join on the rear driveshaft? Mine is also slinging grease and would rather rebuild the joint than replace the entire shaft.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior