New wheels/tires, something different

LL247

Observer
Finally got my wheels/tires bolted up this weekend. My desire to do something different resulted in more time, effort, and funds than originally planned...but I'm very happy with the result. Now granted, these wheels have been done before (which is where I got the inspiration), but I like to be a little different. All the jeeps in my area look about the same, 4-6'' lift, 35-37's, mysteriously they're almost always clean and free of any trail damage??? Weird! I was going to run 1.5'' spacers but changed my mind when I bolted the first one up to see how it would clear without spacing. Might look a little less aggressive, but I was leery on spacers anyway. The added protection from the fenders isn't too bad either. After a hundred miles on the new combo yesterday I'm very pleased. All balanced well, the ST Maxx's are quiet and ride very well. Can't wait to try them on the trails!

Next up is replacing the lift, running 2'' spacers that I took off a previous JKU purchase and they were sitting in the garage. Wanted a bump in height to hold me over, but I'm starting to think the suspension might take priority over the bumpers...

20141207_110856.jpg
20141207_114315.jpg
20141207_164601.jpg
20141207_114438.jpg

LL247

Observer
Not sure on the weight, they weren't very light though. It's apparent the stock suspension does not like that much weight bouncing up and down, looking forward to get that remedied. Tire size is 285/70/17, they actually sit a hair taller than the 33/12.5/17 STT's that came off. Everything clears nicely, better than I thought it would without any spacing.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Why do you think you need more lift or just referring more to upgrading the shocks? If you do upgrade the springs then the OME would get my vote.

jpat30

Adventurer
The new combo looks great. I think that you made a wise decision in not installing the spacers; in my opinion it is just 1 more thing not to have to worry about. Plus I really like the idea of keeping as much of the tire as possible up under the fenders. Question, where did you source the wheels from?

DEFENDERBEAM

strategic command
Not sure on the weight, they weren't very light though. It's apparent the stock suspension does not like that much weight bouncing up and down, looking forward to get that remedied. Tire size is 285/70/17, they actually sit a hair taller than the 33/12.5/17 STT's that came off. Everything clears nicely, better than I thought it would without any spacing.

when I moved my stock tires from the stock alloy rubicon wheels over to the steel wheels I have now, I instantly noticed a ride difference.

The tire road noise transferred into the cab a little more and it does not go over small bumps or potholes nearly as smooth.

I was thinking is was also an Alloy vs. Steel factor that caused some of the difference, and not just the added weight alone?

LL247

Observer
To answer a couple questions... No, not looking for more lift. Looking for a more solid and proper setup than spacers and shock extensions. Spacers are a band aid until i can set it up with better springs and shocks. Seeing how she sits now has me convinced 2-2.5" lift and 33's are as big as I'll go now. As for sourcing the wheels, nabbed them as Jeep Commander take offs on ebay. You can buy them through quadratec but they're about $150 a piece. I snagged 4 shipped to my house for around $300, the 5th one was pricier at a hundred dollars.

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
I like the look, but I'm partial to body colored wheels as of late. :)

View attachment 259287

Chris

I wish someone would make a decent white 5X5 17x9 steel wheel with 4.75" of backspacing like those on several of the concept Jeeps. I really liked these but the wheel company that made then went out of business and they cost more than AEV Pintlers.

Jeep-JT_Concept-DV-12-SJ_i005.jpg
17irch8nf9kvbjpg.jpg

Kmrtnsn

Explorer

There sure isn't a lot of "squat" in those tires. What tire pressure are you running? Reducing it might go a long way in taming that "weight bouncing up and down issue". Let me know how those Coopers work out. When I re-tired last month I was told the 295s I wanted were not available and the 285s were out of stock so I went with something else.

LL247

Observer
I'm running 35psi at the moment, but am going to air down. With them being load range E i can definitely run them lower, plus my pro-cal came in so i plan on lowering the tpms threshold.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Tire size is 285/70/17, they actually sit a hair taller than the 33/12.5/17 STT's that came off. Everything clears nicely, better than I thought it would without any spacing.

Do you get any scrubbing at full lock with the 285's?

-Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior