72 Bug, Baja for the road

warwgn

Explorer
Got some stuff done this weekend, master cylinder and brake lines all the way to the drums, tie rod ends, fenders permanently in place, and steering column bolted in and connected. Now got a lot of sanding to do while I wait for the stainless steel front lines to come in. Might even get the fuel line started.

front suspension and stuff.

Barely any clerance at full drop, just enough to slide a tape measure under the tie rod.

warwgn

Explorer
is it going to stay green ...anything special for the motor

Nope, goin red and black, not sure exactly the scheme yet but have a few ideas in mind. As for the engine, it will just be stock for now and get a new exhaust, but on down the road I will build a new one, 2180CC or some thing in that range.

warwgn

Explorer
I am leaning toward red with black racing stripes down the hood and the rear fenders being black with an angled black lower portion from the back to the front fenders, and some black around the front somehow. The bumpers and nerf bars will be red too so want black behind them so they contrast. The tie rod should be fine like it is I think, I have the suspension stops and dont plan on ramping it in a hard left turn which is the only time the drop is that close. At least if it ever does cause a problem I know what to do to fix it and it would be easy. Like I said this is a smostly street ride daily driver so dont see it being an issue.

warwgn

Explorer
All the brake lines are in and brakes bled, and they even work!! Also got the axles bolted in, still a lot to do but starting to feel like I am very close.

warwgn

Explorer
Looks that way huh, can still easily slide the axle side to side though so it's all good. Now you see why I went with the 930 cv's so I could get more working angle.

XploreBaja

Observer
we normally notch out the tunnel in order to let the tie rod clear the tunnel...based on what I am seeing it will hit the tunnel eventually bending the tie rod ... at a minimum I recommend to remove the tie rod and pound the tunnel down with a heavy 12 pound sledge hammer to allow more clearance...we actually cut it out with a SawZall or Grinder and then box it all in welded ...

cool build ... Toyota's and VW's are perfect around the world trips because parts are available everywhere and they are easy to work on by many...

nice work amigo!

Desertbull

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior