72 Bug, Baja for the road

WagoneerSX4

Adventurer
As for the pace, I am trying to have it ready to take a 1600 mile road trip at the end of April, so you can see I have a lot to do before then!!

That's pretty hopeful! I'm taking my trip at the end of May and here I am worried about my trailer not being finished and all I have left is maybe a couple hours work.

HF trailers are great platforms to build something like that off of. My trailer started off as the smallest HF trailer, the 40x48" 780lb payload trailer. You could easily slap a big roof box on it and call it a day, all for less than a few hundred bucks brand new.

warwgn where did you get the sunroof and did it come in different sizes ..my sunroof on my 63 gmc panel blow off in the high wind we had last night and smashed in the driveway

warwgn

Explorer
Starting some bodywork and mounting up fenders. Think I am gonna lay some glass mat and resin then fiber bond the fenders in place after I bolt them in place, never have liked the seam that is there.

Slicky72

Adventurer
I have no time or room for more toys but following this thread has me pondering selling my bike . Great job on detailing your process and it looks like it is going to be a ton of fun . Thanks for sharing.

warwgn

Explorer
are those steel fenders

no they are fiberglass, got them from MarkV. They are very thick and not flimsy at all.

I have no time or room for more toys but following this thread has me pondering selling my bike . Great job on detailing your process and it looks like it is going to be a ton of fun . Thanks for sharing.

thanks, I am having fun so far and havent drove it since I brought it home and took it off the trailer.

jjstahl3

Explorer
Great build its funny I was just talking to a buddy about getting a Baja bug - any things a non bug owner should look for since you have pulled yours apart are there rust prone spots? This is the one I'm looking atImageUploadedByTapatalk1428021883.272332.jpg

warwgn

Explorer
Look under it and inspect the pan where it bolts to the body. Check around the fender wells on the inside, and where the battery sits.

warwgn

Explorer
Looking again at the green bug you are interested in, it seems more a street baja which is good so it has prolly not been beat to crap and kept mostly mud free so might not have any big rust areas. Good luck and I hope it is a good one.

warwgn

Explorer
Welded studs in place to hold the fenders on and drilled holes and welded nuts in place for bolting the engine cover on. Now working on a filler plate to close the gap between the two and also to bolt the end of the fender in place so it won't be floppy.

think it will wind up purdy solid which is good when I mount the tail lights up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior