Earl

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
That is actually a really cool unit. Seems big enough to see everything but also is small enough and it seems to cover everything you need.

libarata

Expedition Leader
I will remain hopeful for Earl. Looks to be kick ***. I tend to view things positively, over being negative and hateful.

robgendreau

Explorer
I will remain hopeful for Earl. Looks to be kick ***. I tend to view things positively, over being negative and hateful.

Hateful or not, the fact remains that investors have yet to see their product, and as a little research shows, it's still in the air. They aren't really beefing it up since it hasn't really been created yet. I think it was a bad idea from the start, one of those all-in-one compromises that ends up with crippled versions of everything. Another problem is that the world has moved on; from design to now is at least 1.5 years; lots has happened since then in tech. Reading about all the changes they've made in the design is like a biz school lesson in hitting a moving target.

Just an example is the voice radio feature. One version is gonna require the user to have an FCC license, though I really doubt they'll go through with that (although apparently they'll have to in Europe). The other option is GMRS, and they've probably got a uphill push to get anything but voice (not data, like Rino and a few other products that have hit the market recently). But why bother? They could probably have a shipping product much more quickly without those FCC certifications, and why would you need such a radio in a tablet? You end up with a compromised radio and a compromised tablet.

Meanwhile, there are lots of real, shipping products that can everything an Earl can do and more. Maybe not in one contraption, but some of us consider that a virtue.

TLC Norway

I prefer my nexus 7" tablet.
Small, good battery, plenty of storage, and really sturdy.
Does not have an ip rating, but has gone trough some bad **** without a problem.

java

Expedition Leader
Thought it was Meh when it first showed up. haven't followed it, but seems none have been produced. Get a real tablet, a good case, and a radio.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Maybe we will see photos of the "maker" of the earl sporting around the world in his Ferrari as we did with the "maker" of the keryos smartwatch. I think im going to do that soon. Come up with a good idea, crowd fund it, then retire. its like winning the lottery.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Just looked at the numbers.

Earl made the guy 707,000 dollars for doing a website. the kreyos guy made 1.5 million, released about a thousand pos watches that cost him about 10,000 at best that did not work at all with the devices it was supposed to, and he had the balls to post up pics of him with his Ferrari, a wad full of cash in Italy somewhere.

I am strictly opposed to crowd funding and I would never participate. If I can't pay for something and get it within a week or two of ordering, I am out. A lot of people spent their hard earned money on these projects only to be vaporware. The developers, I use that term loosely, are laughing all the way to the bank.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier