Christmas tree adventure

c_mack9

Adventurer
I saw that The Land Between the Lakes (LBL) issues free permits to cut down a Christmas tree. My girlfriend and I thought this might be a cool tradition to start since this is our first Christmas together. I tried to prepare her for an ugly tree since LBL allows you to cut only cedar trees 10 foot tall or less, and tried to focus on the adventure aspect. When I was a really little kid, my dad packed us up and took us out there to hunt down a tree and we all remember it as adults and always makes for a good story looking back. Weather looked good for saturday after a few days of rain so I knew it'd be muddy, but I packed up some saws and a tarp and off we went. We started off on the northern side since we live closer to it, and we expected it to take us a long time to hunt down the perfect tree. Little did we know that once we got to looking, there wasn't much to choose from. There's lots of cedar trees but most of them were too tall, or very scrawny and missing branches on half of the tree. We drove down some muddy, gravel forest service roads on the hunt, and when we saw enought green, we'd stop and go tromping through the woods to get a closer look. Do y'all know what thes clothes pins clipped to branches mean? We saw lots of them out in one area.

We also stumbled upon the remains of an old car or truck out in the woods.

Anyways, after a couple hours of looking, we drove right up to our Christmas tree.

Amanda and Lucy shown for scale.

Time to get to work on this tree. Not much work though, the saw went through it like a hot knife through butter.

Not much help was given from Lucy.

Packed up, and ready to roll out. We had to go down a muddy hill to get turned around, which was stupid since I didn't have a winch or anyone to pull me out if I got stuck. Going back out required 4lo, a locked rear diff and a little tire spin but we got it.

Better pull over to double check the tie downs.

It was way too tall so I cut a few feet off the bottom, packed it in, strung it with some lights and new ornaments and we're done! It MIGHT look better than Charlie Brown's tree, but then again it might not...
That's ok, the adventure was fun and totally worth having an ugly Christmas tree.

Hopefully this isn't the last tree we go on the hunt for!

ljrunner05

Adventurer
That's an awesome idea! I'd love to do that, but 300 miles is a little far for a Christmas tree. Looks like a great tradition!

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
I think the reflective tape is put there by hunters, to help them find their hunt area in the dark (with lights of course) - I see it a lot of night mtn bike rides too.

c_mack9

Adventurer
That's an awesome idea! I'd love to do that, but 300 miles is a little far for a Christmas tree. Looks like a great tradition!
Chattanooga isn't too far, but it's way better than LBL. I need to get back to Chattanooga for some mountain biking, I hear it's great there. I've been before but left the bikes at home, just did some hiking and checked out town. I need to take my girlfriend there for an adventure filled weekend.
I think the reflective tape is put there by hunters, to help them find their hunt area in the dark (with lights of course) - I see it a lot of night mtn bike rides too.
Ahh, that's good to know. I'm glad we didn't get shot! Have you ever riddin in LBL? The canal loop trail is VERY good. The North South trail aint too shabby either. Some of the best riding in this part of the country.
This would be correct!
Great info, thanks guys!

Toyman01

Adventurer
Fun trip!!

I fondly remember doing that as a kid with my brother and father. Unfortunately my wife isn't so adventurous or understanding, so we end up with store bought trees. While they are perfect, they have no character, no personality. It's just a tree with junk hung on it. I might have to surprise her next year.

ljrunner05

Adventurer
Chattanooga isn't too far, but it's way better than LBL. I need to get back to Chattanooga for some mountain biking, I hear it's great there. I've been before but left the bikes at home, just did some hiking and checked out town. I need to take my girlfriend there for an adventure filled weekend.

Let me know when you do! I love Chattanooga. There is a ton to do if you enjoy the outdoors. Sadly I graduated and moved back to Birmingham Al for a job. A ton of my friends are still up there tho, and I head up a lot of weekends. My fiance and I would like to move back in a couple of years.

If you head down, we'll drive up and meet you for a weekend!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior