Canon de Fernandez, Durango, Mexico

Bristol

Observer
Canon de Fernandez, Durango, Mexico

Just southwest of the city of Torreon, Coahuila, Mexico is a national park called Canon de Fernandez. I had planned to drive through this area on a two week overland trip and wanted to visit, as the photos on-line look beautiful. However, I could not find any information on the park in English. So… if you want to visit this area, here is what I found:

Both the toll road and free road will get you to the small town and Francisco Lake. There is an exit off the toll road. We took the main road to Francisco Lake and right along this road there are several free camping locations that are marked as such. The sites vary: some have restrooms and some are quite open with room for lots of campers. All are right along the river that makes up Canon de Fernandez, which is full of birds and amazing cypress trees.

Here is a sign to one of the camping areas, which you can also see in Google Maps Street View:

20141104_094231_resized.jpg

We chose to drive down and camp right on the river. This was the best camping spot we had on our entire trip.

20141104_075419_HDR_resized.jpg20141104_075531_HDR_resized.jpg

20141104_075933_Pano_resized.jpg

20141104_121947_HDR_resized.jpg

Further down the road is Francisco Lake, which you access by driving through two tunnels. We were there in November 2014 and things were very quiet. I’m sure it’s more active in the warmer months. There are several nice, cabana-like restaurants along the lake and a gravel road that continues on past the lake that we did not explore.

20141104_100524_HDR_resized.jpg

20141104_102128_HDR_resized.jpg

If you look at satellite images of this area and the topographic map you will see that there is a bridge back at the free road (Highway 40) that crosses over the toll road (highway 400) and gives you access to the back side of Canon de Fernandez to the east/northeast. We crossed this bridge to an unlocked gate and drove through the desert on a rough rock trail until we got back to the river that makes up Canon de Fernandez. There are two roads that can be seen going along each side of the river to the northeast. Neither one of these roads panned out for us, either being blocked by locked gates or overgrown to the point that we heavily damaged our roof gear despite cutting, hacking, and clearing. Heading southwest though along the river is a decent road (on the north side of the river, which you have to cross) that heads back towards the town and a series of trails that cross the river several times and provides some really beautiful scenery and huge cypress trees. We even came to a neat restaurant right on the river and trail, so I believe there is access to the town somewhere along here. We didn’t really need 4WD, but high ground clearance and tough tires were definitely needed. We headed back the way we came, through the desert to the bridge across the toll road. The scenery makes this diversion well worth it.

Felipe

Observer
Hello,
Im very interested in your trip. Could you please share more pictures ?
Do you know if there is any fishing on the river or the lake ?
Thanks a lot
Regards
Felipe

Bristol

Observer
Hello,
Im very interested in your trip. Could you please share more pictures ?
Do you know if there is any fishing on the river or the lake ?

Felipe, I will try to get some pictures off my camera at home. I did get some better photos with my DSLR. The ones I posted were just some I had on my phone at work to give a flavor of the area. The cypress trees were really pretty nice and my photos of those are on the DSLR.

I think there has got to be fishing on the lake as there are a lot of boats there and even a private country club marina. Certainly quite a few were pleasure boats, but as there was a sign for fresh fish sold there someone must also be fishing the lake. Again, we were kind of there in the off season though so all of the restaurants were closed and not a soul was around.

Kirk

Bristol

Observer
A few more pictures

A few more pictures I found real quick on my laptop. They give you a flavor of the scenery along the trails on the "back side" of Canon de Fernandez.

A view just after you cross the river.
PB047934b.jpg

Part of the trail at the first river crossing
PB047907b.jpg

My daughter standing next to one of the bigger cypress tress
PB047951b.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior