Adjustable Air Shocks

1aquaholic

Adventurer
Has anyone looked into Adjustable Air Shocks for the front of a FG? I need to be able to lower the front end a couple of inches to get under a hight limit and run it at normal hight down the road. Called Monroe shocks and they don't make anything for the FG.

j

1aquaholic

Adventurer
That's what I want to do but I'm having a really hard time making one fit. There is not much distance between the axle and frame and between the inside of the wheel/steering knuckle and the center of the frame. Every "suspension expert" I've talked to says they don't see a way of doing it, so I was thinking maybe a air shock might work. Any ideas you all have no matter how out of the box I would appreciate.

j

Amesz00

Adventurer
I would think you would struggle to find one with the weight capacity without running it at like 200psi? Most of the ones I've seen are designed for supporting sub 1500kg offroad buggies.
I know there are airbags that fit the front, coz I've seen a couple of leaf/bag kits in them.

Tonkatuff

Adventurer
There was a truck a while back for sale in vic that has air shocks all round and in cab control. Anyone remember it?

kerry

Expedition Leader
How much do you need to lower it? My suspension stock had very little travel. Perhaps my springs were/are worn. You'd have to remove the bump stops to get an significant travel. What about letting air out of the tires instead?

Mock Tender

Adventurer
I know absolutely nothing about the quality of the airbagman system. But, I had a near duplicate of that system on an F150 with a pop-up camper quite a few years ago. When up on a particularly nasty section of mountain road the spring managed to pinch the airbag and the bag popped. Long day getting out of the mountains and down the blacktop as well with a flat airbag. Changed the bags for for the toughest ones they made. Same thing happened again in less than six months.

Mark

1aquaholic

Adventurer
Wow lots of great info! I need the cab to lower 4 inches but the steering arm is only 3 inches above the pumpkin. I would like to do it on the fly, a tire inflation system is problematic with the locking hubs and offload brush and such. I will investigate all the options above and any more that show up here. Thanks a lot guys!

j

Czechsix

Watching you from a ridge
Well, if you can't find air shocks, or can't get it to bag easily - go at it from the other angle.

What would it need to compress the suspension? Might be easier.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste