90's defender 110

Kottonwood

Adventurer
UGh.... spoke to soon.... The chump up and sold to someone else after I won the ebay bid...... ahhhhhhhhhhhh

Hey optimus if you happen to know another in the area let me know.... Damn..... I have been looking for months.... that was by far the nicest I have seen

spikemd

Explorer
Too bad. That looked promising. The engine conversion could be good or bad. Good from the standpoint of more power. Bad from the standpoint of rover mechanics not being able to work on it and possible cut corners with an installation. Without having the original engine, it would take a lot of guess work and non-lr parts to keep it running. I think you should look for a stock vehicle.

superbuickguy

Explorer
wow, that's too bad about losing that sale - you could have made money on the purchase by shipping to the US when you were done with your trek.
Don't forget about the mainland Europe in your search for a LR.

with that said, I'm cringing at the thought of driving an unknown, used vehicle 5500 miles - are you planning on a week or two of shakedown in the UK before you travel?

roverandom

Adventurer
Six people and two dogs in a D2?
You plan on winter camping?
You need to keep costs down?

Buy a small, cheap (used) cargo trailer. You can thank me later when all six of you make it home without murdering each other and eating the dogs to survive.

Last edited:

Kottonwood

Adventurer
Haha yeah, we settled on a defender 110, should be plenty of space to stretch out a bit.

and yeah I am cringing too... should be some interesting times getting repairs done if needed, I hear there are great mechanics in kyrgyzstan and real honest ones in russia...... I will be driving around europe for about three weeks before we leave to iron out any kinks.

Also the route I planned is around 14500km... or around 9000 miles, starting in germany... luckily we have four months to do it. Should be a hell of a time!... I am actually gonna bring some maps for this one... haha my last one I did it complete by the seat of my pants.

Blueboy

Adventurer
Haha yeah, we settled on a defender 110, should be plenty of space to stretch out a bit.

Sounds like a nice trip. Just a quick question for you - have you been in a 110? We traveled in Brasil, Chile, and Argentina in a 110 with 2 adults and 2 Labs and there wasn't a lot of space to stretch out. Assuming you get the version with the 3rd row seat for people, the suggestion of a small trailer is really worthwhile to consider as the roof rack can only hold so much. While a 110 is a nice big box, they are not as big as you might think. Good luck and enjoy the trip.

Kottonwood

Adventurer
hello all! I wanted to update ya. I got a mostly beat up 89 110 and smashed it into good enough shape to hit the road. We are now in georgia... got denied at russian border... we go again tomorow. People on this forum have been so great and such a help so I wanted to post some pics but I am working mostly on a cell phone and dont have enough time on the internet. Anyways I have posted hundreds of photos of our journey so far on my facebook page and invite you all to check it out, if you friend me just shoot a message youre from the forum and I will confirm you as a friend. feel free to comment here about the journey and I will respond when able. again thanks for the help! my facebook name is Kottonwood Jones.. I am the only one by that name, you will find me if you want. cheers from georgia!

Ohlins

Ohlins - I bet you did all that from memory!

Mine's a 1989 and has the 19J and I knew they changed to 200Tdi's shortly after. I guess mine must have been one of the last of the old models before they got 'sophisticated'. :)

Nope...I'm not that much of a saddo lol :)

:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz