Large RTT on FZJ80 stock cross bars?

Burley

Adventurer
Will the stock roof rails and cross bars work to mount a soft side 3+ person RTT? Any pro's or con's? I could get a third cross bars to help distribute the weight.
If I did it, it would only be for a summer. Until I get the time and money to build a proper roof rack to mount it on.

Last edited:

brentbba

Explorer
If you are considering the stock roof rack crossbars? No way. They have a published 100 lb limit and if you saw the two nutserts on each corner holding it in, you'd understand better. Those nutserts likely have a good deal of rust at this point as well!

You'd be better off with a pair of gutter mounted Yakima or Thule bars than the stock rack for a temporary solution. You can usually score those on ebay or craigslist.

Flagster

Expedition Leader
For a budget option I would do three or four yakima/thule bars...if you are talking next summer you have plenty of time to find some bars/towers on CL...

Other brackets I like since you can run whatever you like for bars are the quick and easy brackets (I think NRS recently bought the name)...they have adapters for attaching steel pipe...I know lots of people running them without issue...I have been running them for as long as I have had rain gutters...starting with an 87 toyota van...

http://www.nrs.com/product/3200/qui...8PjVmHUfjaPPCXwXO08evgbjO5lDbJ9CX2BoCHQbw_wcB

Pathwacker

Observer
Rain gutters were the rage back in be 80s. Not many vehicles have rain gutters anymore. I mounted rain gutter feet on a fiberglass hi top cap. They were 150lb rated.

brentbba

Explorer
Rain gutters were the rage back in be 80s. Not many vehicles have rain gutters anymore. I mounted rain gutter feet on a fiberglass hi top cap. They were 150lb rated.

FYI - the '90's FZJ80's do have rain gutters too. :wings: It wasn't until the 100 series came out that Mr. Yoda dropped rain gutters from these beasts.

nuclearlemon

Adventurer
i ran my maggi on a pair of yakimas for a couple years with no issues. just me and the former old man tho ;) don't know if you plan on three people in your tent, if so, at least a third leg would be nice. would've been nice on mine too, but wasn't an issue for short term

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz