Sugar Bowl Grizzly Den - British Columbia

THE DESTINATION:
In a quest for photographing wildlife I figured that the Sugar Bowl Grizzly Den in British Columbia would be a sure winner for spotting bears. I set out on a weekend road trip in June of 2013.

MAP/ROUTE:
(see my blog for maps)

DAY 1:
I had no idea the trip would be an 8+ hour drive from Edmonton, and really, time seemed to stand still with all the amazing scenery along the way.

From Edmonton Alberta, you need to drive through Jasper National Park, and there is pretty much always a few animals to spot along the way.

Bugs love Jeeps. I really need to start bringing some heavy duty cleaning supplies along with me.

The trails in and through the Sugar Bowl Grizzly Den are quite easy, you don't need any specific vehicle configuration or even four wheel drive for the routes I took. There does appear to be a few more challenging sections that you wouldn't want to venture without 4wd and a wheeling buddy to go with you.

Unfortunately, I didn't see much for wild life and only one black bear that darted across in front of me and was deep into the forest before I had a chance to grab a photo. I did manage to grab this amazing photo before the end of the day though.

The ripples in the water are from a beaver swimming across.

Day 2 consisted of a trip to BC's Ancient Forest (East) - an in-land rain forest.

Camping, More of day 2 and interesting finds (an exploding hail stone) are on my blog post at www.vagabondexpedition.com

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz

Members online