Anyone with a goal zero yeti 400 or 150

Chandlerdoom

Observer
I haven't been able to quite get the answer I need, I'm looking to use either a 150 or 400 to keep my arb fridge running through the night without having the truck on or a dual battery (or whatever options available) But I also plan on using it to charge other things.

So my question is can you charge the yeti (plugged in) and charge electronics at the same time, basically use it as an inverter.

schulz11

When you say "Plugged in" do you mean into a 12 volt socket in your vehicle or into a AC plug? Regardless the answer is yes as power in is higher than power out. Remember that the charge cycle is longer at DC than AC.

ebg18t

Adventurer
You will need the 400 to run it thru the night. But I would encourage you to look at the ArkPak options and choose the battery you want.

I was looking at the Yeti 400 myself, but ended up with the ArkPak battery box. I haven't picked what battery to get. But since the Yeti 400 is only 35aH, there are a ton of battery options that are 2x the aH of the Yeti 400. There are even some Exide group 31's that are ~100aH that fit in the ArkPak.

Doc Foster

Adventurer
I recently purchased a Goal Zero 400 for the purpose of running my ARB fridge through the night and while on day hikes. Have not had a chance to use it yet, but my research made me go with the 400 vs. the 150. Look for them on sale through Costco. http://www.costco.com/goal-zero-schedule.html I got mine for about $100 under MSRP at Costco.

JDaPP

Adventurer
It will work, but the charger got very hot when I did it that way. Some of that had to do with the cramped spaces of the Jeep, but was still warmer than expected in the wide open of my living room.

SoCal_80

Explorer
I have a 150 and use it only for lighting. the 150 would never (imho) run a fridge for very long. If you are planning on running a fridge for any period of time I would go dual batteries or upgrade your primary. I am running a single Sears marine group 31 and it will run the fridge for 24+ hours and start the truck w/o me worrying. I run solar during the day (60 watts) and it will run indefinitely.

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
I ran an ARB fridge for almost two weeks solid off off of a Yeti 400 / 30watt panel while camping/working in Colorado. Kept fridge in shade, panel had blazing sun. Rougly 85-90 degree days, roughly 60-75 degree nights I think. No issues. Oh ya, the 150, while great for lights and charging phones, won't do it. Get the 400.

Sent from my GT-P7310 using Tapatalk 2

Blacknight

Observer
So my question is can you charge the yeti (plugged in) and charge electronics at the same time, basically use it as an inverter.[/QUOTE]

Yes.

schulz11

So my question is can you charge the yeti (plugged in) and charge electronics at the same time, basically use it as an inverter.

Yes.[/QUOTE]

But remember, your Yeti charger could be charging at a lower rate than what you are trying to charge. If that is the case, you will drain the Yeti. That yeti is only putting in 80 watts per hour when plugged into the wall. So what ever your draw will be, needs to be less than 80 watts. For instance, if you are running a lap top with a 90 watt power supply, you are actually loosing 10 watts per hour while on the charger. If using a 60 watt power supply, you are putting in 20 watts per hour and it will now take 20 hours for a full charge.

NOTE: These numbers are estimates and charging time will vary depending on DOD.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94