What did I just buy.

RussK

Observer
I just bought a 1981 300sd ....and I'm a little ashamed that I know nothing about it, and I'm a auto technician with over 30 years exp.

So let me tell you how this has come to be.

A good customer came in and had his car serviced , and while talking to him about his A/C on his car, he mentioned that he needed to have his Mercedes towed in.
He said that he and his wife had let it set to long, and the battery was now dead, and it needed a switch installed that he already had the replacement for.
I asked him what kind of Mercedes, he said "Gelandewagen"........I said "A what" again he said , "a Mercedes Gelandewagen" only this time he said it with a smirk,
because he knew I had no idea what he was talking about.
He told me about it being now considered a G class, so then, I at least knew what it looked like anyway.

His health was fading, and every time he made it to the shop he would tell me about his Gelandewagenand.
By the way he talked about it, and the stories he told me about it, that it held a lot of good memories for him and his wife. From buying it new in Germany,
to driving it across America, to why it was equipped with a double lined roof.
That first conversation took place a few years before he was gone, he never got to bring it in before he had passed away.

I stayed in touch with his widow, she is great person and good customer. She asked me if I wanted to see the Gelandewagenand , I went to her house after work.
It was so covered with stuff, I could barely see under the hood, its been setting since 2002, it was now 2009
She mentioned that she was going to sell it, and we talked about it, but when it came down to it she couldn't.

She finely decided to sell it, as long as I could get it quick before she changed her mind.
A friend and I went with a flatbed started loading, and she started crying, so we hurried as she waited inside.

Now its at my friends house waiting to be dropped off at work in the morning, so I can bring it back to life.

I don't know any thing about this vehicle, like how do the 4 shifters work, what kind of oil does it take, I know...............I need a book

But before I start asking a hundred questions, I figured you may like the history of this Gelandewagenand.

I only have three old pictures, I will post them for you.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Cool find. I make no claim to knowing much or anything about G-Wagens but I've always appreciated them. Excited to see how she shines up!

bitoy

Observer
Nice barn find. G's from the 80's are said to be the simplest and toughest. Looking forward to your restoring this beauty.

workerdrone

Part time fulltimer
so jealous, nice find!

Please remove and destroy those cheesy double wipers ASAP and put on some Bosch's or something, you'll start off on a good foot - like giving a strange horse an apple :)

Titus Pullo

Adventurer
welcome to the club ;) There is plenty of information about the G class online, as well as a few well established forums and a FB groups. And quite of few knowledgeable people, one of him being your neighbor.

DUTCH

Curmudgeon
300GD

It's actually a 300GD, not SD.

I'm your close neighbor mentioned above. I'm up in Gwinnett County, and have been driving and working on Gwagens since 1984 (30+ years).

If you'd like some help with it let me know. FWIW, there is a very good parts supplier for the G in Oakwood, GA.

It's Eurotruck Importers. Website is: http://www.eurotruck-importers.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1

PS - It's Gelaendewagen or Geländewagen to be exact.

PPS - Be very careful about how you use that Transfer Case shifter.

I PM'd you my cell phone, if you'd like some help with it.

DUTCH

Last edited:

RussK

Observer
Thanks for the comments and thanks Johnny C and Dutch for the links. I will be getting a manual, and the eurotruck- imprters have a lot of what I need.
And is is a 300GD, not SD the title says SD the side of the vehicle says GD.
Well work has kept me from working on it as much as I would have liked to but this is where I'm standing at the moment.

Installed a battery, and turned the motor over to make sure it wasn't locked up or any thing.
It wouldn't start, tried priming system ,but primer pump is leaking pretty bad. Did get it to pump up enough and it ran for just a few seconds.
I now know motor is good so ordering a primer pump Monday.
Going to change all the fluids, filters, and belts as soon as I can figure out what it takes.
managed to clean it up on the out side a little, what a world of difference a wash job can do, even if it was just a half hearted one as that.
This is what I know I need, there is a lot I haven't looked at yet so the list is still growing.

Primer pump - leaking
Radiator cap- came apart
master cylinders for diff locks - both leaked out and dry
5 tires- dry rotted, and would like some recommendations
cap for master cylinder reservoir , clutch master reservoir , diff reservoir for some reason they are all cracked

and here is a link to my other project, 1946 cadi http://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/index.php?topic=131605.0

DUTCH

Curmudgeon
Going to change all the fluids, filters, and belts as soon as I can figure out what it takes.

Transfer Case uses GL4 gear oil and the diffs use GL5 gear oil. I happen to like Redline synthetics; but in an older G, you might discover a whole bunch of leaks and seeps with synthetics. This goes especially for the engine oil.

Brakes and diff locks use a good Brake Fluid, preferable DOT3 or DOT4.

The front axle swivel balls are filled to the bottom of the fill hole with multipurpose grease.

If it's an auto tranny, a good Dexron ATF will work. The same goes for a manual tranny.

If you'd like a forum with a bit more technical support, go here: http://pointedthree.com/disc/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=57

Another good tool to have, if you're going to restore this truck is to subscribe to the Electronic Parts Catalog. Go here: http://epc.startekinfo.com/epc/subscribe.jsp

To access your non-US truck, you'll need to subscribe to the $12/yr World Passenger Cars version. You can then enter the VIN and find the part numbers and exploded parts diagrams for every part that was on the truck when it left Graz.

Last edited:

Metric

Also you might want to be aware that there are 2 styles of primer pumps. You'll want to get the later style (if the old style is even still available). The new style is a cylinder instead of a bladder. New fuel filters will go a long way as well.

-Winston

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles