Tips on Using My ARB Fridge: Heading to Baja for 3 week surf trip

con kso

Adventurer
AceBrown: Yep- got the local food part covered... no hotdog within 30 miles is safe when I'm around- of course, con kso (queso). My favorite is to load up on the roasted chickens- the ARB should be good for keeping the leftover chicken chilled. Couple spots we hit though- nobody and nothing around for many, many miles- having things cool without ice will be very nice.

con kso

Adventurer
Thank's for the tip Allen- we head down every winter for three weeks beginning the week before Christmas- IB to southern Baja with stops at select spots (depending on conditions and surf report) along the way. Put it on your calender for next year- consider yourself invited- camp at my place in So. Baja for free, well almost free- bring beer.

con kso

Adventurer
Thank's for the tip Allen- we head down every winter for three weeks beginning the week before Christmas- IB to southern Baja with stops at select spots (depending on conditions and surf report) along the way. Put it on your calender for next year- consider yourself invited- camp at my place in So. Baja for free, well almost free- bring beer.

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
I crossed the border exactly a year ago and stayed in Baja 66 days. Looking back now I'm already missing the sun and beaches. This spring I'm doing Copper Canyon but expect I will try to get to Baja again next winter. I'll definitely keep that invite in mind. My favorite Baja shot from last trip.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418875916.522585.jpg

concretejungle

Adventurer
Phil speaks good truth.

pre chill the fridge before loading. If you can pre chill the food that you put in there.

The coldest place is at the bottom.

Now, here is something i've done which actually works pretty well. I found a piece of styrofoam from some packing materials that fits exactly the shape of my fridge. I put all my frozen stuff on the bottom, then put the piece of styrofoam in as a barrier, then place all my refrigerated stuff on top of the foam. Keeps everything below the foam frozen and everything above the foam very cold.

I also have the cover for my fridge and if the sun is beaming in on it, i'll cover it with a window reflector.

To keep it running i have two 60W solar panels i run and that seems to work great.

con kso

Adventurer
Alright- thanks for all the tips! I'm on the road 6am tomorrow we're going to try to make it to the Santa Rosalilita area to catch this NE blow that's coming with supposedly some good surf.

Right now I'm looking at the ARB sitting here in the living room and it's humming along getting nice and chilly- I will hit 711 on the way out and stick prechilled beers in there and we've got frozen hamburger and stuff in there too.

Loving the idea about the styrofoam barrier- I'll have to try that one out. Thanks for that.

AceBrown- nice photo! Funny I didn't realize your name was Alan- I was responding to my friend Allan Cheateaux a couple posts above yours- we used to surf together. You are absolutely invited down to mi tierra as well- good travels to you in Copper Canyon.

So stoked the truck is packed, the bikes loaded up and the boards prepped... let the games begin.

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
Alright- thanks for all the tips! I'm on the road 6am tomorrow we're going to try to make it to the Santa Rosalilita area to catch this NE blow that's coming with supposedly some good surf.

Right now I'm looking at the ARB sitting here in the living room and it's humming along getting nice and chilly- I will hit 711 on the way out and stick prechilled beers in there and we've got frozen hamburger and stuff in there too.

Loving the idea about the styrofoam barrier- I'll have to try that one out. Thanks for that.

AceBrown- nice photo! Funny I didn't realize your name was Alan- I was responding to my friend Allan Cheateaux a couple posts above yours- we used to surf together. You are absolutely invited down to mi tierra as well- good travels to you in Copper Canyon.

So stoked the truck is packed, the bikes loaded up and the boards prepped... let the games begin.

Thought about that later and wondered how you might know my real name. Have a great trip.

loren85022

Explorer
I'm in Baja now. Day 5 of 10 with my 63q ARB in trailer. Is your prep inquiry based on having a limited ability to maintain the battery over duration of trip? If so, throw in a charger and an exten-cord perhaps. For a beer, not many RVs or ppl with generators are going to say no to 30 mins charge. Back in the day I could always find some shore power somewhere.

Have a great trip!

Sent from my iToaster

lugueto

Adventurer
Sadly I don't own one.. yet..

But all the people I know who have one and will use it for an extended trip (say 5+ days total) keep it on at full blast for a whole week before the trip so it ends up completely lined with ice, they keep the frozen food solid and the refrigerated food cool prior as well. This way, during the trip, they keep the fridge running at "idle"and it keeps everything the way it is supposed to and doesnt consume too much power. Seems like the logical way to do it, IMHO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles