Tips on Using My ARB Fridge: Heading to Baja for 3 week surf trip

con kso

Adventurer
Okay, first of all, I want to let you all know- I gave the search tool a fair shot and didn't get the info I was looking for, the Google machine was no help either. Here's what I need to know: What's your procedure for prepping your ARB 'fridge for a long trip?

I've got a 50L ARB with jacket - I've messed with it on a couple of 3-5 day trips with good (beer was cold) not great (hamburger patties were pretty thawed out) results.

I'm not sure if it's best to plug it in a day before at home, empty, and then fill it once it's cold. Or to put something (frozen water bottle, cold beer- I don't know) into it, plug it in to cool that down and then put food in. I'd just like to be able to put my frozen stuff into and for it to remain frozen- or at least very cold from the start of the trip.

I'm not sure if I'm being clear here- let me try this: Could you give me some tips or personal experience on how to get the best out of this thing? I'm leaving for a three week run down to southern Baja in a couple of days and could use some tips or tricks with this thing.

Thanks in advance.

Waltzing Matilda

Adventurer
Hola con Keso- I'm jealous of your Baja trip!
My friends who use ARBs always pre-chill them before long trips.

(I used a pelican chest for 3 weeks in Baja last summer, in hundred degree plus temperatures. After that experience
I think pre-chilling is always a good idea! )

workerdrone

Part time fulltimer
I haven't bought a 12v fridge yet, we use a big Yeti, but I always pre-chill before a trip by just using some normal non-trip contents of our freezer (meats, butter, etc) for an hour or so before packing the cooler. The stuff that goes back into the freezer hasn't softened at all yet and no side effects yet, and the procedure keeps my ice blocks nice and fresh for when we're pulling out of the driveway. Usually just make some good sized blocks a few days ahead of time using tupperware containers.

Anything you put in that's cold and reduces air volume will aid in the cool down I'm sure, making the compressor's work go further

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Pre cool fridge prior to loading and leaving
Pre cool you beer and water prior to loading the fridge
Keep the stuff you want colder on the bottom
Keep it full
Water or beer is best for taking up unused space
Warning - Beer begins to turn to slush at 29°:sombrero:

Enjoy your trip!

If it is 3 weeks without restocking capabilities I would use it as a freezer and take a separate cooler to transfer stuff you want to use for the day to it along with freezer blocks to rotate.

con kso

Adventurer
Alright! Thanks for all the tips- so basically, treat it like a big conventional cooler and have everything put into it the night before departure pre-chilled- and pre-chill the thing by turning it on a day ahead of time. Got it.

And the beer slush-point with obvious freezing point depression courtesy of the alcohol in solution. Thank you for that.

I'm leaving from SD Dec.20th, we're going to run down the inside, through San Felipe, past Coco's Corner and out Lake Chapala- I've done it twice before and I much prefer it over the San Quintin side. If you go the way I'm going, be sure to pack extra gas and fill up when possible because it's a long run from when you pop out at Laguna Chapala to GN (though you can get barrel gas along the way). I'll be down there until January 8th when I start heading back home. Look for my vehicle CON KSO (pics to follow) we'll be in a small caravan of at least two vehicles the other is a green '96 T100 4x4. Let me know what you guys will be in and I'll look for you on the road- or where you'll be surfing (if in 7 sisters area we'll miss each other this time).

I will be able to restock along the way- I'll be hitting a couple spots on the way down and then will be surfing around the Todos Santos - Punta Conejo area plenty of abarrotes along the way.

Thanks for the tips folks- very helpful.

philos

Explorer
I'll be hitting a couple spots on the way down and then will be surfing around the Todos Santos - Punta Conejo area plenty of abarrotes along the way.

Man, I love the camping at Conejo. All those twisty sea-fig trees and the excellent beach-combing, plus a pretty decent left!?!?! So good.
Have fun!

amocaT

Adventurer
This is the link to the trip. Maybe we'll run into you on the road somewhere. As of now we have a Taco, JK, Vehicross, FJC and 3 motos.

Approx route
Dec 26 - Tijuana to El Campito
Dec 27 - El Campito to Bahia de Los Angeles
Dec 28 - BdLA to Playa San Rafel
Dec 29 - PSR to Bahia Asuncion
Dec 30 - BA to Punta Abreojos
Dec 31 - PA to Mulege
Jan 1 - Mulege to Guerro Negro
Jan 2 - GN to Calamajue or Gonzaga (Cocos Corner)
Jan 3 - Calamajue or Gonzaga to San Felipe
Jan 4 - SF to Mexicali (US border crossing)

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
Back to the original question, I have an older ARB (Engel) and it's been flawless except when I've let the battery get too low. Did 66 days in Baja last winter and no issues with food or drink. A few tips beyond what I saw above. I have the insulated cover but try to cover with a thick blanket or towel if parked in the sun. If practical try to always keep it shaded. I use an 80 watt solar panel to keep the battery fresh. Lastly always restock the fridge early in the am when everything is the coldest.

con kso

Adventurer
Thanks Ace Brown for the blanket tip- I'll do that AND make sure that I don't block off the vent on the back of the ARB (already made that mistake).

Amoca: Your trip sounds super fun- and with three motos running it too- maybe I'll do that with you guys someday. I'm going to take three or four days heading down to Southern Baja (I own some land North of Todos Santos) where we'll be bouncing around hanging out at spots between Conejo and Todos (will do day trips to Pescadero/Cerritos but have no need to camp in the Hippie/Hepatitis Hills around there). We're leaving Dec.20th so chances are low we'll cross paths but we will keep an eye open for you guys. Here's CON KSO:

Screen Shot 2014-12-12 at 8.55.48 PM.jpg

Acheateaux

Adventurer
Meesta Atchaleee,
Pack it full, keep it full, pre freeze water to maintain temps. Call me before you plan these runs.

Ur face.

4x4junkie

Explorer
I've got a 50L ARB with jacket - I've messed with it on a couple of 3-5 day trips with good (beer was cold) not great (hamburger patties were pretty thawed out) results.

Experiment a bit with your thermostat setting to find it's exact point that is just above freezing (it won't always be "33" on the display, on different units it can vary +/- a few degrees). Keep bumping it down a degree each day until you start noticing ice crystals in say, your milk, OJ, or eggs, for example, then go back up one degree. This will be where your frozen stuff will stay frozen longest, but without freezing stuff you don't want frozen (I've been able to keep 1-lb blocks of hamburger meat mostly frozen for 5 days or so in my Edgestar unit).

Like was said, pre-cool the fridge first, put the stuff you want to stay frozen the longest on the bottom, and then fill the rest of the space with (pre-cooled) stuff you intend to use sooner.

Hope that helps

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
Another tip: don't worry about keeping stuff frozen for long periods. Instead resupply locally like fish tacos readily available, fish right off the pangas and eggs, milk, water off trucks that service most beaches where the gringos camp.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94