Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dodge Ram Box

haven is offline Expedition Portal Moderator Expedition Leader

Default Dodge Ram Box

The redesigned 2009 Dodge Ram will offer as an option the "Ram Box," a set of lockable storage compartments built into the rear fenders.

The storage compartments are made of some sort of tough plastic. A drain hole is included, so you could fill the Ram Box with ice and drinks for your next outing.

The fender compartment is large enough for a set of golf clubs. To make room, the inside of the truck bed is narrowed to the width of the wheel wells.

It appears that the Ram Box would not work with a bed cap/camper shell. Still, it's nice to see a little bit of new thinking in the pickup market.

Chip Haven

I am thankful for the "truck revolution" of the past ten'ish years. Traditional truck beds just never evolved. The designs left an awful lot of unusable space. The Ram boxes, bed mounted power points, integrated restraint systems and locking tailgates were all long overdue and simple "innovations".

Still no facilities to secure a load though eh?

I'm going to jettison the box from my Dodge in favor of a deck with a few cargo boxes, fold down sides, and a lot of tie down points. It surprizes me that the Aussi trend toward producung 'trays' for pickups hasn't really caught on in North America
    Rocky Mountain Land Cruiser Association TLCA # 5513
    '04HZJ79 (project), '91HDJ81, '87BJ74, '04 Kamparoo and a Dodge
    Paved roads are another example of needless government overspending.

I agree, it's nice to see new storage options of any type. Dodge also plans to offer two removeable bins (see pic) under the rear pasenger's feet. The dimensions for these will be 8 x 13.25 x 5 inches.

IMHO they should offer the crew cab (rather than quad cab) in the 3500/4500/5500 chassis cabs as well. An option for rear bucket seats (so I could fit an extra 12v fridge for the kids) would also be great.

Attachment 17563

kcowyo is offline Expedition Portal Moderator ExPo Original
    Quote Originally Posted by haven
    The redesigned 2009 Dodge Ram will offer as an option the "Ram Box," a set of lockable storage compartments built into the rear fenders.
    The most overdue upgrade since cruise control.

Hopefully all manufacturers get on board with this. The standard pick-up box is so outdated and there are numerous optional configurations that would satisfy a larger percentage of buyers.

Maybe this will entice the manufacturers to think, literally, outside the box.
    '97 Toyota T100 - some stuff and some stories....
    '89 Toyota FJ62 - fractal cruising

currently listening to - Michael Kiwanuka "Home Again"
    recommended reading - Dead Run by Dan Schultz

Also, one of the Nisssan Titan models has a cool little storage compartment, behind the rear driver's side wheel. Sort of like a small flatbed underbody box. Good to see these ideas getting to production.
    truck: 2005 3/4 ton, Dodge Cummins Quadcab, shortbed, 6speed, 5.9L
    camper: Callen built custom design
    off road package: air dam removed, xfer case & fuel tank skid plates, Line-X rockers, Warn 4x fender flares, Toyo A/T 285/75R17 E rated
    build thread: http://expeditionportal.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=28099

My friend has a titan with that storage box behind the drivers side wheel and it does leak. so IMHO it is bad placement on Nissan's part.
    I do like the idea that they are at least putting storage in some of the unusable space's

I remember those bedside storage boxes from the 70's, wonder why they did away with them.
    The dodge one is in the wrong place, too many people put on a cap or tonneau to use it.

I have one of those covers on my 04 Dodge, and I could see how it would be a pain to use them.

Quote Originally Posted by eugene
    I remember those bedside storage boxes from the 70's, wonder why they did away with them.
    The dodge one is in the wrong place, too many people put on a cap or tonneau to use it.
    In the salt belt where I grew up, they were a sure way to lose your tools. They rusted through within hours of hitting the streets. I had high hopes for the Nissan version since it is mostly plastic. I'm disappointed to learn that it leaks.
    Rocky Mountain Land Cruiser Association TLCA # 5513
    '04HZJ79 (project), '91HDJ81, '87BJ74, '04 Kamparoo and a Dodge
    Paved roads are another example of needless government overspending.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast