Dodge Ram Box

haven

Expedition Leader
The redesigned 2009 Dodge Ram will offer as an option the "Ram Box," a set of lockable storage compartments built into the rear fenders.

rambox-1.jpg

The storage compartments are made of some sort of tough plastic. A drain hole is included, so you could fill the Ram Box with ice and drinks for your next outing.

The fender compartment is large enough for a set of golf clubs. To make room, the inside of the truck bed is narrowed to the width of the wheel wells.

rambox-2.jpg

It appears that the Ram Box would not work with a bed cap/camper shell. Still, it's nice to see a little bit of new thinking in the pickup market.

Chip Haven

AFSOC

Explorer
I am thankful for the "truck revolution" of the past ten'ish years. Traditional truck beds just never evolved. The designs left an awful lot of unusable space. The Ram boxes, bed mounted power points, integrated restraint systems and locking tailgates were all long overdue and simple "innovations".

lowenbrau

Explorer
Still no facilities to secure a load though eh?

I'm going to jettison the box from my Dodge in favor of a deck with a few cargo boxes, fold down sides, and a lot of tie down points. It surprizes me that the Aussi trend toward producung 'trays' for pickups hasn't really caught on in North America

boblynch

Adventurer
I agree, it's nice to see new storage options of any type. Dodge also plans to offer two removeable bins (see pic) under the rear pasenger's feet. The dimensions for these will be 8 x 13.25 x 5 inches.

IMHO they should offer the crew cab (rather than quad cab) in the 3500/4500/5500 chassis cabs as well. An option for rear bucket seats (so I could fit an extra 12v fridge for the kids) would also be great.

View attachment 17563

kcowyo

ExPo Original
haven said:
The redesigned 2009 Dodge Ram will offer as an option the "Ram Box," a set of lockable storage compartments built into the rear fenders.

The most overdue upgrade since cruise control.

Hopefully all manufacturers get on board with this. The standard pick-up box is so outdated and there are numerous optional configurations that would satisfy a larger percentage of buyers.

Maybe this will entice the manufacturers to think, literally, outside the box.

theMec

Adventurer
Also, one of the Nisssan Titan models has a cool little storage compartment, behind the rear driver's side wheel. Sort of like a small flatbed underbody box. Good to see these ideas getting to production.

Trogdor

Observer
My friend has a titan with that storage box behind the drivers side wheel and it does leak. so IMHO it is bad placement on Nissan's part.
I do like the idea that they are at least putting storage in some of the unusable space's

eugene

Explorer
I remember those bedside storage boxes from the 70's, wonder why they did away with them.
The dodge one is in the wrong place, too many people put on a cap or tonneau to use it.

Trogdor

Observer
I have one of those covers on my 04 Dodge, and I could see how it would be a pain to use them.

lowenbrau

Explorer
eugene said:
I remember those bedside storage boxes from the 70's, wonder why they did away with them.
The dodge one is in the wrong place, too many people put on a cap or tonneau to use it.

In the salt belt where I grew up, they were a sure way to lose your tools. They rusted through within hours of hitting the streets. I had high hopes for the Nissan version since it is mostly plastic. I'm disappointed to learn that it leaks.

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
Nice to see. Avalanche has had them for a while. http://www.chevrolet.com/avalanche/photogallery/
There is some aftermarket beds that look like a fleetside but are binned out a like a utility bed. Good to see this as a dealer available option. GM has really been stepping up the options. Colorado in particular has a lot of options now including a long bed with a door between the cab and rear wheel to access the front of the bed.

My work van is nice. Rubber mat but windows, locks, heated mirrors and AWD. We have a lot of GM trucks like that in our fleet that have the comfort features but in work trim with rubber mats and cloth seating.

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
my originial post "The redesigned 2009 - 1500 Ram will also feature independant rear suspension (IRS)"

Not true, thankfully. Failed to fact check that one. Sorry for the misinformation folks:(

Coil springs and solid rear axle sound much better than IRS:)

Last edited:

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
I was talking to my buddy who has a dodge dealership here and he was wasting his time away trying to get me to buy a new truck. Anyway the bedside strorage option looks like it's going to be about a $2000 dollar option, according to the reps he's been talking to. The rear is still a solid axle but has a coil spring suspension, five link I believe. And my dad's Titan's rear storage box leaks like a sieve.

OZTRAY-JOHN

Hi Guys and Gal's,

I'm new here but have been reading all the posts thoroughly. I own a comany that supplies aluminum drop side bodies, Oztray Truck Trays. I' not sure if I'm allowed to push a product on here so I apologise in advance if I'm not.

While I agree that its great to see the BIG three thinking outside the traditional box, it still seems to me that the major disadvantage of a regular box or service body is that you can't load or unload from the side. All the space that is wasted by the "skirts" on a regular box could be made up of storage boxes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles