Ambulance Camper/ Expedition Rig Conversion FAQ

Waltzing Matilda

Adventurer
Thanks for this thread, it has been helpful. (I certainly didn't mean for my questions/comments to contribute to the 2WD/4WD debate.)

Question: has anyone experimented with running biodiesel in their rigs? Any problems? Benefits?

Also, after doing more reading, I have gone a different direction: found a 1997 E450 Turbo diesel 7.3 (super stroke) with a passenger bus set up, similar to the "Das Bus" vehicle found here on Expo. Since I hope to be transporting people into Baja, and really want something tall enough to walk around in, this will be a more comfortable set up vs. most of the ambulances I've seen. (Also, more windows for viewing the scenery along the way.)

Happy hunting to those seeking a good ambulance build.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
It varies a good deal by area.

but it seems to be in the places bio-diesel has become "trendy" is the area you do not want to run it.

Quite often it will cost MORE. And most report a slight loss in power and fuel mileage.

but as always, your mileage may vary:coffee:

Knowing just how picky these injectors are, I choose to stick with standard pump diesel.

And up here, we run a winter blend year round. So the MPG always sucks :sombrero:

Abitibi

Explorer
Bio diesel in a Powerstroke yes, WVO is quite the challenge.

The Powerstroke HEUI injectors are pretty picky. If the biodiesel is clean stock, run it.
Why are you saying WVO is quite a challenge? We just converted a friend '03 E350 with the 7.3 and it was very straight forward. I was almost done with my conversion until I blew my shoulder and had to get surgery last week. (now I'm out for a few months, arghhhhh)!

All you need is basically 2 fuel tanks, 2 sets of 3-way valves, 2 filter heads one of them coolant heated, a 3-way switch, extra fuel and coolant hoses, couplings and that's about it. Some extra parts if you live in cold climate but I still think keeping it simple simplifies life's as far as WVO goes.

Cheers
Mr. D

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
I'm running 'Biodiesel' and have seen no difference in performance or economy. Stock O-Rings for the fuel bowl and water drain should be upgraded for Bio, as well as the rubber fuel lines which connect the fuel bowl.

All that said, Bio I can get my hands on is only 5% Bio... Some places you can get up to 50% Bio. I don't really think 5% would make much difference, but they claim it burns cleaner, and is about $0.10 a US Gal cheaper at the card lock than buying Fuel at the regular stations.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Why are you saying WVO is quite a challenge? We just converted a friend '03 E350 with the 7.3 and it was very straight forward. I was almost done with my conversion until I blew my shoulder and had to get surgery last week. (now I'm out for a few months, arghhhhh)!

All you need is basically 2 fuel tanks, 2 sets of 3-way valves, 2 filter heads one of them coolant heated, a 3-way switch, extra fuel and coolant hoses, couplings and that's about it. Some extra parts if you live in cold climate but I still think keeping it simple simplifies life's as far as WVO goes.

Cheers
Mr. D

Compared to bio, yes, WVO is a challenge,

Add in cold weather, and it becomes more of a problem than a challenge than most (including me) are willing to bother with.

The 7.3 is one picky SOB when it comes to fuel. I stick with #2 or a blend.

Abitibi

Explorer
Obviously bio doesn't involve much more than a few viton seals and line vs the required WVO conversion but the 7.3 seems to love veggie. I'll argue my point down the road once I finish mine and put some miles on it. Until then I'll play nice and put this thread back on track ;)

Cheers

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Obviously bio doesn't involve much more than a few viton seals and line vs the required WVO conversion but the 7.3 seems to love veggie. I'll argue my point down the road once I finish mine and put some miles on it. Until then I'll play nice and put this thread back on track ;)

Cheers

I'm going to hold you to that... I'd love to run veggie one day, and if you can make it work, I know it'll work in mine. :D

cjken

Explorer
Sometimes I question whether I need 4x4 or not.
Sure glad I have it this year!! Damn it fun in the snow!!!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425577280.006250.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425577363.477343.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425577384.570100.jpg

BIG-B

Observer
Cjken, thanks for bringing this thread back on track! I just bought and started on my ambo and this thread has been a great resource!

patoz

Expedition Leader
Ken, did you build that spare tire carrier, or is it commercially available somewhere?

cjken

Explorer
Cjken, thanks for bringing this thread back on track! I just bought and started on my ambo and this thread has been a great resource!

Looking forward to see yours.
Hoping to continue working on mine come spring time.
Too cold to do much now
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425614685.928562.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425614724.248653.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425614743.841144.jpg

As for the tire carrier, we made it.
Here are a few photos I found

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425614535.370737.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425614577.142197.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425614614.558118.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members