Ambulance Camper/ Expedition Rig Conversion FAQ

huskyhauler

Adventurer
I traced the two lines from the heat/cool unit back to the motor and there isn't, from what I can find, a valve to cut off the supply. I'll likely take it in to a shop to have them break lines and recharge the system.

Forgive me, as I'm a layman with only a basic understanding of aircon units. Can someone clarify what I'm looking at here? I'm guessing the top and bottom are coolant lines and the middle two are the aircon freon lines, correct? It's an ACC model 07-073, but this looks like it's the same thing: http://www.accclimatecontrol.com/products/42/22007-Series-Heat-Cool-Unit

My unit:
20150323_171758_zpsuzkltvw0.jpg

New factory unit (the same model):
1.jpg

I'm deleting my air con unit today and will be placing an inline coolant filter in place of the air con outlets. Does anyone know which line is the input line and which line is the output line?

huskyhauler

Adventurer
I deleted mine and just capped the A/C line. Then put a NAPA coolant filter setup on the heater line. Everything works super duper. Was really easy to boot. Just make sure you get the right cap with correct thread pitch for the A/C cap or it will leak.

How did you disconnect your A/C lines without venting the refrigerant?

huskyhauler

Adventurer
Mine has shutoff valves right behind the cab.

So does mine, but the rear system was still pressurized. I ended up taking it to a mechanic to have the refrigerant evacuated from the box lines. I successfully pulled the heater/ac unit and the ac lines.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Which A/C compressor do I need?

I've not found PNs that match, I'd like to replace the A/C compressor with a new one, but my P/Ns don't seem to match anything I've found. It's a 12/96, E350, Ambulance Prep, 7.3 PSD, with rear A/C.

Do these look familiar to anyone?

P1D
FS10
A/C COMPRESSOR F7UH -19D 629 - CA

I've attached a Picture. I don't care it if is an exact match, just want it to work at least well as stock & last a long time. I have newer lines to replace most of them, a newer front condenser, a newer drier, and many other parts... So I figure I should replace the pump and Idler before having the other lines fixed and the system charged.

Anything Else?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    512.1 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

wanderingjeep

Paramedic
1996 FORD OSAGE Ambulance with 7.3L Powerstroke

Added 130W of solar to the roof and separated the front and back power using the Master power switch. I can charge with solar or engine.

_MG_3063.jpg

_MG_3316.jpg

_MG_3325.jpg

_MG_3158.jpg

patoz

Expedition Leader
I've not found PNs that match, I'd like to replace the A/C compressor with a new one, but my P/Ns don't seem to match anything I've found. It's a 12/96, E350, Ambulance Prep, 7.3 PSD, with rear A/C.

Do these look familiar to anyone?

P1D
FS10
A/C COMPRESSOR F7UH -19D 629 - CA

I've attached a Picture. I don't care it if is an exact match, just want it to work at least well as stock & last a long time. I have newer lines to replace most of them, a newer front condenser, a newer drier, and many other parts... So I figure I should replace the pump and Idler before having the other lines fixed and the system charged.

Anything Else?

I wish I could help you, but my compressor is long gone so I can't get any info off of it for you. Mine was a '93 with the same engine, etc.

patoz

Expedition Leader

patoz

Expedition Leader
Pretty sure it's already 4x4. Looks like there's a front diff in the 3rd pic... Looks good!

Cheers
Mr. D

Yeah, you're right. I downloaded pic 1 & 3 and then enlarged and lightened both, and you can easily see the front differential then.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
I wish I could help you, but my compressor is long gone so I can't get any info off of it for you. Mine was a '93 with the same engine, etc.

Thanks, I have determined that part of it is the P/N, it's just that when I'm having it shipped, I want to be sure to get a the right part in all the ways that matter.

eporter

Adventurer
Anyone have any info on wiring diagrams for a Horton? I found this old diagram for an 80s Horton, but thats it.

http://jackd.freeshell.org/Horton Ambulance Specifications-Wiring.pdf

It helps explain some of the construction and wiring ideas, but not as helpful for my 1997 Small Body Type/Model F353-III (Mini Mod). This has the Horton "System 2000" circuit board control system.

Good info in this thread, definitely interesting learning more about this vehicle.

rlrenz

Explorer
Every ambulance is delivered with a comprehensive manual that covers everything from the vehicle to the module, but these often wind up in the city garage, and can wind up in the trash can when the vehicle is sold - you are very fortunate if your ambulance still has the original manual.

When I started with my Medic Master, I asked an ambulance electrician about ambulance wiring standards - he told me that there aren't any standards, other than the construction standards in the GSA spec KKK-A-1822E. He told me that every company does things their own way, and every electrical installer also does things with their own spin on them. The most you can hope to find is a summary of wire number assignments, and a very general layout drawing of the wiring. If you have a Horton, there's a chance that the factory may have some general info in their files, particularly on your System 2000 controls. An older control system can turn into a ball of worms if you need components, though.

Ambulances are both very general, and very customized, but if you study them long enough, you'll realize that they are all built to comply with the GSA's KKK standard in order to qualify for federal grants for the purchasers, so the basic designs don't change very much. Even unique layouts become familiar to the builders, and as a result, the individual designs don't need a lot of documentation for the electricians to do their thing. The advantage is that builders would have used the same numbering system for years, so even newer days would probably be backwards compatible.

One advantage we all have is that the wiring is labeled carefully (and continuously). It's not as good as an original set of drawings, but it's a lot better than nothing.

In my own case, I took photos of my relay panel and terminal blocks, then started using a flashlight and digging into the wire bundles to see which relay controlled what equipment. The end result will be more accurate than as-delivered information on an installation that may have been modified over the vehicle's life.

eporter

Adventurer
Horton was able to send me the "Pin Sheets" and a very basic programming manual/option sheet for the System 2000. I was able to set a few options like:
-Turn side scene lights on/off with side door
-Turn back scene lights on/off with back door
-Adjust interior dome light level when door is opened
-Turn rear red lights on w/ brake lights
-There are a bunch more options, but not as useful, mainly for emergency strobe patterns and such.

I put up a separate post with the pin sheets/System 2000 info here:
http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...m-2000-programming-info?p=1877894#post1877894

The problem is, the pin sheets just label the options I have, there are a lot more wires with a lot more numbers and options written on them. A summary of Horton wire codes and wire layout from the 90s would be really helpful. That 80s manual ^^two posts above^^ has some good info on wires/breakers/etc. Really hoping someone on here has some information from Horton from the late 90s...

I found an older KKK-1822E pdf here:
http://health.hawaii.gov/ems/files/2013/08/AmbSpecs-KKK-1822.pdf

I printed out the info on basic power/inverter/charger setups, which is somewhat helpful.

Agreed, it is real nice having things continuously labeled. I'm trying to add some interior lighting to the "Light 1,2,3" buttons in back, but it may end up being easier just adding in my own switches. Light 1 is installed, 2 and 3 were options that I didn't have.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94