Ambulance Camper/ Expedition Rig Conversion FAQ

patoz

Expedition Leader
If you haven't seen it .5 Ambo Build is about converting an Ambo box into a trailer.

Well, I got off to a pretty good start, but not much happened over the summer. I just couldn't deal with the 95° - 103° temps and the 95% humidity to work in, plus it rained for almost three months straight. The weather this year has been the strangest I've every seen here.

It's starting to cool down some with a small cold front moving down this weekend. I'm trying to get my work area back in shape and hope to make some good progress on it this winter. Not having any kind of shop and just a broken concrete driveway to work on really blows when you start getting older.

rlrenz

Explorer
I agree, Pat. That's why my primary summer project has been to tunnel into my garage so my ambu-buggy can slither in for the winter -- and I'm GONNA make it! I just have to spend a few more days sorting and storing stuff, then it will crawl in for the winter.

Coachgeo

Explorer
An Ambulance body was recommended to me as a potential camper unit for my LMTV. I want something lower in height compared to the 7" tall military units AND have some Roll Over strength designed into them unlike other options.

Any recomendations on what to look for if I decide to go that route?

Any ideas on mount/dismount/removable ability if it was mounted on chassis and not on bed of vehicle? Way to complicated orr?

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Wiring will be the only issue. Just check carefully the chassis rail width. I am discovering what I thought was a standard width for medium duty trucks is not that standard.

Also I think with the LMTV you may be able to remove both the bed and that other subframe it sits on dropping your starting height by a 10-12" at least.

I would recommend you check chassis spacing, length needed, where the outside cabinets sit and the inside standing height and work out what suits you.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
With the strength of the ambo box you could fit truck camper type jacks. You would need to get underneath and unbolt it each time (if reusing the existing mounts) but if building it to a subframe your options open up.

Obviously normal truck camper jacks may need some extensions.

rlrenz

Explorer
Agreed - ambulance bodies are built like the proverbial brick phone booth. The basic structure is 2x2 aluminum tubing on 12" (+/-) centers, with all the joints welded. The skins are usually 1/8" aluminum, with 0.090/0.100" aluminum on the roof. The design goal is for the doors to open normally after a rollover accident.

If you plan to totally strip and refit the ambulance body, then virtually any body would work. If you want to leave things mostly as-is, so you can take advantage of the many compartments, then I suggest looking for a body with a reputation for solid workmanship, such as Braun or Medic Master. Regardless, though, look for the most options that you'd want when you're done, such as LED interior lighting -- plenty expensive after the fact, but no added cost with a body purchase. Compartment sizes will be fairly constant between builders, but there will be slight differences - where the O2 tank is located, where the electrical gear is located, etc.

Be careful of a stripped body - wiring may have just been cut, and the only light that fits easily into an ambulance is an ambulance light fixture, so if lights are gone, replacement can get expensive. Look for the Vanner inverter - it's usually 1050 watts, but if it's part of the package, you're ahead (don't use the Vanner to charge your batteries, though - they can cook batteries dry - go for a modern 4-stage charger, and then disable the Vanner's charger (see my thread for how to disable one).

Be careful of any body that's missing the inner door panels on compartment doors - I've seen some bodies for sale with all the door panels missing, and replacing them will run into lottsa bucks and lottsa time.

Be prepared to run into xome challenges, but also be prepared to have fun.

lockedwheels

Adventurer
Alright so I have this button underneath the hood. It's just behind the grill. Looks like one of the push buttons on an old tractor to start it. Any ideas?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

patoz

Expedition Leader
I've never seen anything like on an ambulance, at least not from the manufacturer. My only suggestion would be to follow the wires and see what they go to.

lockedwheels

Adventurer
I followed them a little but they join up with the whole harness and I wasn't really excited about chasing any farther. Figured I would try my luck with you fine gentleman.

lockedwheels

Adventurer
I pressed the button but didn't hear anything move. Didn't really check for the doors to lock and unlock though.

patoz

Expedition Leader
Bob, I've never seen that either, but it could be a good fail-safe in case the keys were lost or locked inside.

lockedwheels, does anything happen when you press it with the key off? With the key on? You could also check the wires at the switch with a meter to see if they are hot or ground, both with the key on and then off. Disconnect the wires and check them individually also. When that's done check the switch itself for continuity to see if it's constantly on or off.

lockedwheels

Adventurer
Bob, I've never seen that either, but it could be a good fail-safe in case the keys were lost or locked inside.

lockedwheels, does anything happen when you press it with the key off? With the key on? You could also check the wires at the switch with a meter to see if they are hot or ground, both with the key on and then off. Disconnect the wires and check them individually also. When that's done check the switch itself for continuity to see if it's constantly on or off.
I will do that and report back

Brianpgreen

Side topic, what has everyone done in regards to registration and insurance? For simplicity sake I first registered it as a commercial vehicle and insured it as such as well. My limited research hasn't shown any real positives in having it retitled or insured as an RV. While commercial insurance is relatively cheap, are there any benefits or drawbacks to switching over to RV title and insurance? Washington requires an inspection from State Patrol with a certain number of permanent add-ons to suit RV requirements.

I ask because if there is a sizable advantage to going the RV route I might leave the aircon unit in place to help satisfy a re-title requirement before deleting the unti.

Where did you end up with on your insurance? I'm in the same boat here in Washington and my insurance agent is having a hard time. How much was the commercial policy?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior