Ark Pak - Questions and Queries

1Louder

Explorer
Brett,

I just took advantage of the offer. I am going from a dual battery setup to using this instead. I had a question about using this in conjunction with a winch and never got an answer. I am guessing the solution would be to join this battery in parallel with my main battery via cables of my choice if I wanted to supplement my available power. If someone can answer this question it would be appreciated. Otherwise this will likely sit next to my fridge in the back of my FJ to power it. I can keep it charged via 12 volt while driving and solar.

Thanks,
Chris

Brett From Ark

Supporting Sponsor - ARK
Brett,

I just took advantage of the offer. I am going from a dual battery setup to using this instead. I had a question about using this in conjunction with a winch and never got an answer. I am guessing the solution would be to join this battery in parallel with my main battery via cables of my choice if I wanted to supplement my available power. If someone can answer this question it would be appreciated. Otherwise this will likely sit next to my fridge in the back of my FJ to power it. I can keep it charged via 12 volt while driving and solar.

Thanks,
Chris

Hi 1Louder

yes you could use the battery inside your Ark Pak to power your winch in conjunction with your car battery this is no problem yes you can connect in parallel.

just a side question off topic do you know if your winch is capable of taking 24 volts ?????

Regards

Brett from Ark

1Louder

Explorer
Hi 1Louder

yes you could use the battery inside your Ark Pak to power your winch in conjunction with your car battery this is no problem yes you can connect in parallel.

just a side question off topic do you know if your winch is capable of taking 24 volts ?????

Regards

Brett from Ark

I don't even have the winch yet! HA HA. Just trying to think down the road. The main reason why I went with this is my wife loves our ARB fridge but it is not setup to run in her Prius. So unless she steals my FJ she is out of luck. This should allow us to throw the fridge in her Prius and let her take it for the day when she needs it. I have a Group 34 Optima battery from my old dual battery setup that I plan to use with this. Maybe some day down the road I will put a Group 31 in it instead. If for some reason that doesn't fit I can pull my Group 31 from my FJ and swap things out.

Optima Yellow Top Group 34:
Performance Data
Cold Cranking Amps: 750
Cranking Amps: 870
Nominal Voltage: 12 volts
Open Circuit Voltage (fully charged): 13.1 volts
Internal Resistance (fully charged): 0.0028 ohms
Capacity: 55 Ah (C/20)
Reserve Capacity: BCI: 120 minutes (25 amp discharge, 80°F (26.7°C), to 10.5 volts cut-off)

Brett From Ark

Supporting Sponsor - ARK
I don't even have the winch yet! HA HA. Just trying to think down the road. The main reason why I went with this is my wife loves our ARB fridge but it is not setup to run in her Prius. So unless she steals my FJ she is out of luck. This should allow us to throw the fridge in her Prius and let her take it for the day when she needs it. I have a Group 34 Optima battery from my old dual battery setup that I plan to use with this. Maybe some day down the road I will put a Group 31 in it instead. If for some reason that doesn't fit I can pull my Group 31 from my FJ and swap things out.

Optima Yellow Top Group 34:
Performance Data
Cold Cranking Amps: 750
Cranking Amps: 870
Nominal Voltage: 12 volts
Open Circuit Voltage (fully charged): 13.1 volts
Internal Resistance (fully charged): 0.0028 ohms
Capacity: 55 Ah (C/20)
Reserve Capacity: BCI: 120 minutes (25 amp discharge, 80°F (26.7°C), to 10.5 volts cut-off)

Hi 1Louder

i would certainly agree that at some stage you need to get a larger capacity battery you can consider group 27 or group 31 they both work really well inside the Ark Pak.

in relation to the winch question i had my advice was going to be some winchs can operate on 24 volts this is good thing as you increase the voltage and use less amperage, always good to be aware of this feature if your winch is able to run 24 volts.

Regards

Brett from Ark

Brett From Ark

Supporting Sponsor - ARK
Hi all

Ark HQ in Sydney Australia will be closed during Christmas and New Year period, It will be business as usual with our online store, you will still be able to place on-line orders all the way thru.

xmas2015.jpg

Ark will be closed from Wednesday 23/12/2015 and we will re open on Monday 04/01/2016. i myself will be taking an extra week off and will be back Monday 11/01/2016,if you post questions during this time i may not answer until after the 11/01/2016.

Take care and enjoy the Holiday break with family and friends.

Regards

Brett from Ark

1Louder

Explorer
Brett,

Can you confirm the only way to use the smart charger within the ArkPak is to use the included DC charger with the small plug and not an Anderson connection? I just don't like how that connector is, small and easy to knock out of alignment. I can charge via solar with a controller as well but I am looking for something a bit more rugged.

Thanks,
Chris

Brett From Ark

Supporting Sponsor - ARK
Brett,

Can you confirm the only way to use the smart charger within the ArkPak is to use the included DC charger with the small plug and not an Anderson connection? I just don't like how that connector is, small and easy to knock out of alignment. I can charge via solar with a controller as well but I am looking for something a bit more rugged.

Thanks,
Chris

Hi Chris

there are two ways in which the smart charging system is activated and that is via the AC home charger and also the DC car charger. if you have the AP715 this comes with a posi fit clip lock plug and once plugged in will not come out unless brute force is used to remove it.

i think i may be mis understanding your question and i just want to confirm are you talking about the posi fit clip lock plug that goes into the left hand side of the Ark pak or are you talking about the male tip on the end of the Dc lead.

will await your confirmation.

Regards

Brett

1Louder

Explorer
Hi Chris

there are two ways in which the smart charging system is activated and that is via the AC home charger and also the DC car charger. if you have the AP715 this comes with a posi fit clip lock plug and once plugged in will not come out unless brute force is used to remove it.

i think i may be mis understanding your question and i just want to confirm are you talking about the posi fit clip lock plug that goes into the left hand side of the Ark pak or are you talking about the male tip on the end of the Dc lead.

will await your confirmation.

Regards

Brett

I know it locks in place. It would be nice to have something that is flush mounted so it couldn't get knocked off/brute force.

Thanks

dstock

Explorer
Hi Brett,

Question for you. I have the Ark Powerpak and noticed the new Powerpak 2 comes with a DC-DC charger now. Would that work on the original and is it available separately like it is on the AU site?

Honestly, if it just a straight 12v input at the charging plug I could just make my own cable. I'd prefer to charge it this way on the road versus the through the terminals at the top as I can leave the box turned off while charging.

Thanks as always for your help.

Brett From Ark

Supporting Sponsor - ARK
Hi Brett,

Question for you. I have the Ark Powerpak and noticed the new Powerpak 2 comes with a DC-DC charger now. Would that work on the original and is it available separately like it is on the AU site?

Honestly, if it just a straight 12v input at the charging plug I could just make my own cable. I'd prefer to charge it this way on the road versus the through the terminals at the top as I can leave the box turned off while charging.

Thanks as always for your help.

Hi dstock

long time no chat, hope all is going as well as it can, in relation to your question yes the DC to DC car charger will work with the Power pack 1, the problem is thou we did not ship any spares over there to sell individually i do have some here in Australia, if you send and email to sales@arkcorporation.com and advise your delivery address we can find out a quote to ship it over to you if you like.

it is not a straight 12 volt cable it has a small transformer on board to step it up to 18 volts to 22 volts at 1.5 A/h

Regards

Brett from Ark

dstock

Explorer
Hi dstock

long time no chat, hope all is going as well as it can, in relation to your question yes the DC to DC car charger will work with the Power pack 1, the problem is thou we did not ship any spares over there to sell individually i do have some here in Australia, if you send and email to sales@arkcorporation.com and advise your delivery address we can find out a quote to ship it over to you if you like.

it is not a straight 12 volt cable it has a small transformer on board to step it up to 18 volts to 22 volts at 1.5 A/h

Regards

Brett from Ark

Doing great Brett, thanks, and email has been sent! Hope all is well with you.

Brett From Ark

Supporting Sponsor - ARK
Hi All

just wanted everyone to know that Iam going away to a conference i will be away from Tuesday 08/03/2016 and all going well will return on Wednesday 16/03/2016 so if you post up questions during this time i will not be in a position to answer them.

hope all is going as well as it can for everyone, yake care and stay safe when travelling.

Regards

Brett from Ark

Brett From Ark

Supporting Sponsor - ARK
EASTER SALE GET IN QUICK LIMITED TIME ONLY
Easter-Sale-2016.jpg

Ark would like to wish all a very Happy Easter hope that you get spoiled by the Easter Bunny

Regards

Brett from Ark

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94