1985 4runner EFI Adventure Build

85x85

Hello,

What a great forum. SO much interesting stuff to be learned here. Really enjoying reading about all the builds. Been taking it all in for a while so now its time to start some documentation of my current project a 1985 Toyota 4runner. Chose this truck as a platform for a solid camping and adventure truck for all the same reasons that everyone does. It is reliable, capable and easy to work on / modify / customize.

Got the rig from an older gentleman up in the high desert. The truck was pretty toasty inside (dash cracks, faded everything, plastic falling apart) but the body and under carriage were dry as a bone. Truck ran good with solid compression after a rebuild at about 175k. Currently about 190k on the ticker. The other thing I liked about the truck was that it already ran great so I could leave the drivetrain as it stood. From the P/O it has a funky lift of new springs in the front with stock springs in the back with longer shackles for the lift. What was confusing was that he put Rancho 9000's on it too. Maybe with the money he saved from not getting new back springs he got better shocks? IDK. Anyway, he also had some YOKO Geolander AT's in 30x9.5 r15's on there which were brand new. I don't particularly care for this set up, but someone will down the line on a stock rig and we can make a deal and offset my new BFG KO2's.

Plans for the future:

OME complete Dakar Kit for a 2-3" lift (done)
BFG 265.75.16 AT KO2's (done)
4.88's
Sliders
Internal sleeping/storage set up
Roof Rack

Here is the truck as it stands today:
Capture.JPG

More to come shortly. The truck is getting its new suspension and tires and should be back this weekend. More pics to come then.

Attachments

• photo (17).JPG
    photo (17).JPG
    69.3 KB · Views: 70
  • photo (15).JPG
    photo (15).JPG
    35.7 KB · Views: 1,020
Last edited:

Dwill817

Toyota Fanatic!
I honestly wasn't satisfied with my OME front springs at all.

Build a RUF pack and put it in. I did not have to move my hanger or anything & I ran a drop drag link for my steering. Works great & rides much better than the OME.

Gatordoc

Adventurer
Nice 4runner, I had a 1st gen years ago and loved it - the one vehicle I regret getting rid of. I've thought about getting another, but they are so hard to find in relatively decent, unmolested condition without paying an arm and a leg.
Good luck with the build, I'm looking forward to seeing where you go with it.

85x85

Had the truck up for a couple weeks now on the new set up. Much better. Nice predictable ride. Its a bit stiff but I've only had a couple hundred miles on it.

photo 2.JPG

Derek24

Explorer
Looking at your springs, either I have mine on backwards, or you do, or the OME springs mount different from 83 to 85? From what I see your springs have the double spring guides up front, mine are rear of the axle. Anyone?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier