Any experience modifying a trailer?

jpbellis

My vehicle is a tad to tall for my trailer and I need to raise it up just a bit. The very best option is to flip the axle over and mount the springs on the top instead of the bottom, where they are now. The factory install has the springs under the axle with rear shackle straps. My question is, when I flip the springs and axle should I toss the straps and mount both sides of the springs to the spring hangers or should the shackle straps be installed again?

Second is, why the straps at all?

springs.jpg

cyclic

Adventurer
Springs change length as they compress, keep the springs as-is. You just need to weld some spring plates to the top side of your axle and remount it under the springs and you will be good to go.

jpbellis

Springs change length as they compress, keep the springs as-is. You just need to weld some spring plates to the top side of your axle and remount it under the springs and you will be good to go.

Not sure I follow you. Keep them as is... Do you mean keep the shackle straps and still the axle ? I'm not sure I need to weld new plate on the axle, I should have mentioned the axle is straight and doesn't have a bow.

1stDeuce

Explorer
No bow means you can just flip it. With brakes, you have to turn the brakes right side up again. No brakes, good to go. As pointed out above, the "straps" are commonly called spring shackles, and allow the spring to change length as it extends/compresses. So you have to keep them. :)

jpbellis

Thanks for the quick answers. Another question. Should those rear shackles have easy movement to them to accommodate the spring extension?

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Don't flip the axle, even if you don't see a bow there is a slight curvature to keep things stable. Just mount new tabs on the top of you axle and your then good to go.

highdesertranger

Adventurer
don't flip the axle somewhere there is a little camber built in. as cyclic said weld some new spring pads on and move the axle under the springs. if it where me I would install new u-bolts too u-bolts are single use only, they stretch when you torque them down. highdesertranger

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles