$275 Off Road Bumper Upgrade

509bercler

Observer
First things first, this upgrade was primarily done for looks/aesthetics as my van is used for family road trips, pulling our camp trailer, and getting around Northwest winters safely. If someone with actual fabrication skills wanted to use this as a winch bumper I'm sure they could, as for me, I used a Harbor Freight 110 volt flux welder with this being my 2nd-3rd time welding. I wanted a more aggressive looking bumper but was not ready to shell out $1500-$3500 for a van bumper. After seeing a post about someone mounting a jeep bumper to a van I figured that was the route for me, as you can purchase new jeep winch bumpers cheap (this particular one $238 shipped to my door).

New Jeep TJ bumper shipped to my door for $238

Stock bumper removed

46" x 6" x 1/4" steel clamped up to determine holes

Back of Jeep bumper after a bit of grinding

Steel Plate welded up to bumper

Bumper mounted with 4 grade 8 nuts and bolts, front

Side

Just wanted to throw another option out there, as there are hundreds of different jeep bumpers to choose from and maybe 3-5 van bumpers out there. All said and done this little upgrade cost me about $275 (bumper $238, steel plate $30, nuts and bolts $3-4) and about 2-3 hours of my time. I plan on mounting an LED light bar and maybe some square fogs in the near future.

tgreening

Expedition Leader
I believe the newer JKs are a bit wider than the TJs, but I wouldn't swear. A Rubicon is a Wrangler, it's just a different trim level.

I applaud your thinking outside the box on the bumper. It's something I'll likely change at some point in the build, but like you I can't see shelling out multi-thousands for a bumper, and I don't care what it's made out of.

flightcancled

Explorer
Can you give us a shot from a little further back and another distance shot at an angle to the vehicle? I can't tell if the width thing is something I will be willing to overlook, or completely drive me nuts.

Thanks!

509bercler

Observer
They make wider Jeep bumpers, I was just attracted to this particular model. My wifes JK Jeep's stock bumper is about the same width, if not a little wider than the front end of the van. The E350 front is about 70" wide, so if you were to look for a Jeep Jk (2007-current models) bumper that was full width you could make it work. I have about 5" on either side of my bumper, but personally I like the shorter stubby look. Search ebay, there are about 30,000 results for Jeep bumper ranging from $200-2,900.

tgreening

Expedition Leader
One thing Jeep isn't lacking is aftermarket support. I have just one Jeep catalog at home and from that catalog I could build a complete CJ/Wrangler style Jeep from the ground up, lacking only a title and vin plate in the end.

landshark

I'm running into kind of the same issue. Got a bunch of quotes for rock slider on my 2014 Ram, lowest one was $1250!! Same people that have sliders for jeeps and broncos for $350 on their webpage.

509bercler

Observer
Just for reference, a Jeep JK width from outside fender to outside fender is about 72", which would be right about the same width of an E350.

350outrage

Adventurer
I considered the same thing, but the stubby bumper not extending to corners of the vulnerable sheet metal on the van bugged me. Nice to know some others out there are wider. Right now modifying my 64" c purlin redneck bumper to be a little wider with end plate additions. A "Factory" look would sure be nice, though.

Last edited:

509bercler

Observer
I am currently in the process of adding LED fogs and eventually an LED bar across the middle. The fogs will fill the gaps on the sides and give it a more finished look along with providing additional lighting. The fog lights are staggered.

arlon

Adventurer
For the cost, that might be worth trying on my Astro van. Little narrower to start with. If it didn't work out, I could get most of my money back on CL I bet. Have a nice winch that's been sitting in the box for a few years now.. I think it look good on the fornt of an Astro van. Neighbor has a Wrangler, need to go measure the mounting points on it.. (-:}

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier