Insurance question for those with FG Campers?

Mock Tender

Adventurer
Based on all the examples of FG "Totorhomes" I saw on the site- I didn't think getting insurance was going to be a problem. But, we are running into a lot of objections to being not a "Standard RV", "too tall" (total Bigfoot on FG roughly 12'), and that we are buying it through our LLC in Montana.

Those of you with FG Campers in the States, any recommendations based on whom you have used?

jhrodd

Adventurer
I get my insurance for the '06 from Progressive Commercial, $315/year. My '91 FG is $265 but it's only 12,000 GVW.

Czechsix

Watching you from a ridge
I'm using Liberty Mutual for it currently, but they said no problem once it becomes a full RV. I do know AAA is pretty useless.

Too tall is a weird objection, seeing as how I was just driving a Class A that was 12' in height.....

Howard70

Adventurer
State Farm

We insured our Earth Cruiser through our State Farm agent. We have all of our insurance with them which I think helped. It took some time and our agent spent some time on the phone with Michelle at EarthCruiser in Bend, OR. I think it was easier once they realized it was a "production" vehicle. While not the least expensive insurance I hear about, we've been really happy with our other State Farm policies when it comes to claims.

Howard

dtruzinski

Explorer
My 2004 FG "motorhome" is registered in MT as an RV and insured through Progressive. No questions about height, although 12' is getting kind of tall :)

Jfet

Adventurer
While not an FG, I insured our Isuzu NRR truck and camper through American Family.

Ours is harder to insure I guess because it is a custom built camper with nothing to compare it to (and incalculable replacement cost considering the time we spent building it) and our camper easily comes off the flatbed, so we did not want to classify the whole unit as an RV. The 20 foot flatbed has been very useful for other tasks when the camper is not on it. Truck insured as commercial for personal use and camper is insured separately as a truck camper.

Buckstopper

Adventurer
I have mine insured with Progressive as well. The only caution that my agent gave is that if I home build a camper it needs to be an "approved" plan. In Oregon the State approves RV's and campers basically like it was a modular built home so it has to meet code for exiting, electrical, fresh air, etc. My camper is a production model adapted to the truck so that wasn't a problem.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Based on all the examples of FG "Totorhomes" I saw on the site- I didn't think getting insurance was going to be a problem. But, we are running into a lot of objections to being not a "Standard RV", "too tall" (total Bigfoot on FG roughly 12'), and that we are buying it through our LLC in Montana.

Those of you with FG Campers in the States, any recommendations based on whom you have used?

What insurance company are you having the issues with?

I've always had good luck going through an independent agent and letting them figure it out.

jomobco

Now Decanter
I tried my CandC with Farmers and they said no. I went to USAA and they had to go through Progressive as a commercial vehicle to get it to fly as a CandC. Once it's a camper it puts it in a whole different light I would guess.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I've found that for markets that are a bit unusual shopping around can make a huge difference. You never know when a particular company has tried to pursue or avoid a certain market based on their portfolio or whatever.

unkamonkey

Explorer
Several years ago I wandered into a Camping World in Denver. A guy sitting at a card table tried to sell me some insurance.
I told him what I had, he didn't have a clue about FG's.

Mock Tender

Adventurer
Okay-still having fun with this.

Tried Progressive with and without an agent- commercial and non-commercial. Progressive finally said that they simply don't insure Fuso FG's at this point. And yes, I brought up that there are several Fuso Camper combos insured by Progressive- they said at this time they are not.

American Family doesn't cover Montana.

Liberty Mutual was a good tip- they are looking into it.

National Interstate wants a tow vehicle.

Geico- no.

State Farm thinks they might be able to do it- but, everyone has said that right up to saying no.

Allstate commercial and regular- no.

Nationwide- no.

RVAmerica- only a completed rig and only with a lot of documentation.

Explore Vehicle- no: unless you also have a tow vehicle.

We have tried numerous independents and direct agents. All but one, who said right away that no one will cover this type of vehicle, every agent has been frustrated that they couldn't cover it.

Any other ideas might be helpful.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94