3/4 ton with pop-up as daily driver: Older model diesel or newer model gas?

FarmerFrederico

Adventurer
I called up USAA and they don't seem to have a problem with going over GVWR...haven't driven a 3500 (SWR) yet so I'll have to get that done. We are at time where buying a diesel powered RAM seems like more sense to go new with all of the suspension and engine upgrades they've made, but it's making me feel foolish to spend $40k+ on such a truck when so many others are putting an FWC on a Tundra that I could find lightly used for under $30K. With my minimum daily payload being 1200lbs and a max payload of 2200lbs for trips would any of you choose a 1/2 ton like the Tundra or the new Ecodiesel with 25+ mpgs? I don't need to do any wheeling, but I do need to drive some rough fire roads every once in a while. I think I'm getting paralysis from over analysis.

bob91yj

Resident **************
I've sat around many campfires, heard a lot of stories...not once have I heard someone complain that their tow rig had too much power!:sombrero:

Sounds to me like the 2500/3500 Cummins is the truck that is going to meet your varied needs.

Here's a shot of my GMC 2500HD Dmax at maximum capacity, OK, possibly over maximum rated capacity. I have an '05 Jeep Rubicon on 35's and all of the glamping needs for a week in Silverton stuffed in the trailer.

silverton2011001.jpg

My first Dmax had the same lift on it, bought this one with the lift already on it. If I had it to do all over again, I'd go stock, level the front end, put air bags on it and call it good.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
With my payload regularly approaching the limit on even the Cummins 2500 should I spend the extra $2K and just get a 1 ton SRW 3500 and be done with it with a 3,000+# payload and the Cummins engine?

Some states have different registration requirements for 1 ton+ vehicles. I don't know what the specifics are (or even if they are) in CO, but basically in AZ 1 ton and up is considered a commercial vehicle & must be registered as such. As I recall, CA was the same. I don't think that impacted insurance in either state - & if I had to guess, it wouldn't in CO either. But if I were in your shoes, I'd ask the question before buying.

ExpoMike

CA all trucks are registered as commerical vehicles. What they do is give you a weight fee based on rated GVWR. My registration was over $400 per year and more than half of that was the weight fee. Since I have the camper on 100% of the time, I re-regestered it as an RV which removed the weight fee.

bob91yj

Resident **************
^^^^How difficult was that process Mike? My camper is on virtually 100% of the time as well.

ExpoMike

^^^^How difficult was that process Mike? My camper is on virtually 100% of the time as well.

I did it all at AAA and it was easy. Go in with your camper and say you are looking to register as an RV. They will have you fill out a statement of facts, go out and do a quick inspection, to make sure it quailifies with the required equipment and bam, done. I did mine when I was up for renewal. If you do it midway through a current tags, you won't get any refund. Knocked $220 off my yearly fee. Downside is, the camper can never be off, though I have heard rumors that you can but you cannot haul ANYTHING in the bed other than your camper.

duxndogs

Observer
Recently went through this exact scenario. Wanted a truck to haul around the family and a FWC Hawk for camping trips/hunting trips. Did a lot of research...talked to a lot of folks...and test drove a lot of trucks. Decided I wanted a 3/4 ton truck pretty quickly! I ended up buying a Ford Super Duty F250 CC 4x4 with the 6.2L gas engine. Love it!! Plenty of power, room and towing/hauling ability for my family's needs. It's plenty capable...especially after I get it built up with suspension, tires, bumpers, etc. After owning the truck for a few months I found myself a used FWC Hawk. Looked for about 6 months...and drove 20 hrs round trip to pick it up.

In the end...I decided I didn't really need the diesel. I was concerned about the maintenance cost of the diesel if there were major problems. There isn't a lot of faith out there on the newer diesel motors. Ford has had their problems with the 6.0, 6.4 - and didn't really want to spend the $ on the newer 6.7 or a newish Duramax. Had I gone diesel, I probably would've bought a dodge. Going with the 3/4 ton gas allowed me to buy a newer truck - mine was two yrs old with < 20k miles when I bought it. I looked all over for a 7.3 but there wasn't any to be found and a nice 7.3 brings serious $! I'm fortunate...I have a company car so my truck isn't a DD so I wasn't too concerned about fuel efficiency. Unloaded it gets 12-13 in the city and 16-18 on the HWY. Not bad for such a big truck! I'm sure diesels do better but not enough for me to spend the extra $.

The original owner of my camper had a 1/2 ton F150 and he made several comments that he wished he had bought a 3/4 ton. When the Hawk is on my truck loaded up with gear, family of 4 in the cab I barely notice it's on the truck! Not sure the exact payload of my truck but I researched it prior to my purchase and knew it was plenty - even over loaded it was fine. We tend to carry too much gear! It's a great combo for us! :smiley_drive:

All that being said...if I didn't need a vehicle large enough for a growing family I'd probably have a smaller rig. Maybe a tacoma with a FWC...a flat bed tacoma and FWC may be my dream rig!! :drool:

FarmerFrederico

Adventurer
Been going down the road of purchasing something new but decided to investigate the used market a little better. Found this 2006 Ram 2500 5.9L CD with 84K on the odometer. Going to try and get a test drive in tomorrow afternoon. This could be the truck!

surlydiesel

Adventurer
Gas vs Diesel. Having owned both, I would buy a fullsized gasser with 30k on it vs a 100k diesel. You have a few years before wear items become an issue on the gasser. If you buy from a dealer, you can usually get a 100k warranty. I have looked at the Rams lately and I still think with a truck camper, the tried and true leaf spring trucks might be a better bet. I'm a Ford guy though and I'm planning on an F250/350 from 2008-10 with a gas motor and a 6spd. If I was cool with an auto, I would get either the 6.4 gasser from Ram in a 3500 or an F350 with the 6.2. Great motors and don't be afraid to run the RPM's up a little.

I'm scared to be in Northern Maine on my way to Labrador only to have my nice new diesel go into limp mode because a sensor crapped out or it did not regen properly. Not a ton of dealerships for any of the big three up there... I loved my old diesels for their towing ability, efficiency, they were fun to mod but these new diesels are nothing like my old 7.3. If you plan on keeping your truck outside of it's warranty, be prepared for some expensive repairs down the road.

Anyway, maybe I'm just paranoid but I plan on going with gassers until I see these new diesels really hitting their strides and the prices come down. I can buy a few years worth of gas for a set of injectors or a trans rebuild on a 100k diesel. Yes, gassers need trans work sometimes but it's not quite as common since they don't produce the torque of an oilburner.

My 2 cents.

-jorge

COBlue

I originally had an'05 f-150 5.4l with the camper that could only do 45mph going up to Eisenhower Tunnel.
I now have a 2006 Ram 2500 qcsb ctd and hallmark Milner. I also tow atvs/rafts/snowmobiles over the passes almost every trip and hate to sit in the right lane. It is a beast but it only has 2k payload which just about any camper will use up. So if going diesel, go 3500 for only a little more cost.

If you just have people and camper and bikes, I think I would go 2500 gas with much more payload. You may rev it pretty good going up the passes, but a diesel would be overkill almost all the time.

FarmerFrederico

Adventurer
There is an '06 Ram 2500 QCSB CTD 5.9L with 84K that I'm going to look in to for close to $26K. The new 3500 6.4L HEMI's are attractive too with current gas prices and the fact that I can find one for under $40K.

freedomrider

Ordinary average guy
Just to add a data point or two, I've had a 6.2L gas F-350 mated with a Northstar 850SC for a little over 9 months. Fully loaded for a trip the overload springs are barely engaged (completely stock suspension). I don't think there's any significant sag. You do have to run up the RPMs when climbing a grade. I haven't had it up a steep freeway grade yet so I don't know how well it'll hold higher speeds. I'm getting 9.6 to 9.7 mpg for the first 1000 miles.

FarmerFrederico

Adventurer
Well, I drove the new 3500 Cummins today - empty it doesn't feel different from the 2500 Cummins. The '06 Ram I mentioned above is sold already so I'll have to continue to keep my eye out. Wife really wants me to keep the sale price of the vehicle below $40K so I don't think I can swing a new Cummins. Looks like I'll probably go with a new 2500 with the 6.4L HEMI - its got a 3,200lb payload which is well over the 2,200lbs I'll carry on the biggest trips. I'd have to keep the vehicle over 10 years to make it worth the outlay for the cummins so I think I should just be happy with the HEMI. I'll keep you guys posted and thanks for all the replies!

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I originally had an'05 f-150 5.4l with the camper that could only do 45mph going up to Eisenhower Tunnel.
I now have a 2006 Ram 2500 qcsb ctd and hallmark Milner. I also tow atvs/rafts/snowmobiles over the passes almost every trip and hate to sit in the right lane. It is a beast but it only has 2k payload which just about any camper will use up. So if going diesel, go 3500 for only a little more cost.

If you just have people and camper and bikes, I think I would go 2500 gas with much more payload. You may rev it pretty good going up the passes, but a diesel would be overkill almost all the time.
The 3500 might help. My 2500 had the weakest springs Ram could have provided. A combination of Thuren,Kore and Carli has resulted in a pretty good handling truck and camper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior