2004 Dodge 2500 leaf or coils?

406expo

Adventurer
Hello all,

Wanted to pick the groups brain again on another suspension question. I'm sure a couple guys here have a 2004 2500 dodge trucks so please let me know if your trucks are running leaf springs or coil springs? My family is passing it off to us since they just got a new Dodge and I'm going to pick it up this spring when I get home. I just ordered a set of springs for my ford from atlas and figured if I can figure out the suspension on the dodge I may add to that order.

I need a more robust springs for my ford as the winch and bumper are a bit much for its tired old leafs. I figure it will be the same on the dodge since I plan to add and ARB deluxe bull bar and a 12k warn winch.

thanks in advance for the help guys, also I think this has the 5.9 in it as well. SORRY I haven't driven the truck in a few years and since it wasn't mine I didn't pay much attention to it.

surlydiesel

Adventurer
Carli I think is the go-to place for upgrading Ram front end bits. If you do some reading, I think you'll find you might be doing a bit more than just springs. Prob a heavy duty steering box (part number is around on here someplace) and replacing all of the wearable parts on the front end. That is a weak point on those trucks. Price sounds right though.

-jorge

406expo

Adventurer
Yeah I found a good thread yesterday I think. It was a 2500 ram also and the guy used Carli parts to upgrade the front end. So tonight I think I'm going to get out the note pad and start a list of worthy upgrades to make it last longer and drive smoother with the added weight up front.

Thanks for the input

406expo

Adventurer
Just found the part number. It's #68170214aa in case anyone reading this needs the heavy duty steering box.

406expo

Adventurer
Disappointed to hear that reviews are mixed for the molar hd steering box. I checked out those links, think I've settled on the carling front end steering kit. Haven't seen any other options on the hd steering box except the borgensen (might have name wrong)

crismateski

American Adventurist
gotcha, thank you sir. Any vendors you know of that offer a heavier coil spring for that?

For the full size Dodge, Carli Suspension and Thuren are the "go to parts" They are strong, reliable, and both companies back up their products. Personally I get all of my stuff throu CJC Offroad. Talk to Cody or Cole about what your plans and they will help you get what you need

D45

Explorer
Do not get the Borgeson box

I have not heard anything bad about the Mopar HD box

Call Strapt Performance, they have a local shop that are rebuilding stock boxes and having great results

406expo

Adventurer
Cool, I appreciate the input. I'm not building this up to run huge tires or do heavy off roading. This may get a camper, but likely to just haul the dogs, family and our gear across the big sky state. We live several miles off road and I figure a few quality upgrades are in order for good ride that will last.

MT6bt

Rock hound
Yes as a fellow montanan and off-the-beaten path enthusiast I second reinforcing the front end of my dodge with HD parts. These damn dodges sure do like to fall apart.

406expo

Adventurer
Yeah that's what I've heard about the front end of dodges. They have a check of a power plant, but the interior compared to my ford is very basic. So it's carli and atlas at this point. May look at thuren also, but already did the deal with atlas on the new leaf springs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne