Nightly movie: kindle fire

loren85022

Explorer
One of our camping concessions is to have available a nightly movie. All of us look forward to it. Typically there is no Wi-Fi so we are downloading one perhaps two movies to an iPad.

Actually we do not purchase them, as we really use Amazon prime for just about everything including watching movies. And the occasional rental for $3-$5. This is how we get them onto the iPad for remote viewing

We are preparing for a 12 night or more trip down the Baja and I want to come well prepared for movies. One option is to buy them and load them up on the hard drive. But then I noticed that the Kindle fire allows you to download movies and watch them without purchasing them. Remotely.

Does anybody have experience with the Kindle fire? https://kindle.amazon.com/

Have you tried the remote download and remote viewing? And if so, how many movies do you think you can store up on either 16 gig or 32 gigs? At somewhere between 100 and $200, the fire itself is cheaper than what I would probably spend to purchase the movies and then have to deal with downloading etc.

Sent from my iToaster

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Dunno about the Kindle fire. As to movie size...

Well...let's just say I have a buddy...yea, that's it, a buddy, who um...liberates...movies and TV shows and whatnot off peer-to-peer networks using a...um...a thing called a seedbox located in a datacenter in...um....Sweden.

Yea...so anyway, movie size depends on the resolution. 1080p usually runs around 1.5 gigs, 720p usually around 700 megs. Lower res can be anywhere from 350 megs to 500 megs depending on a few factors (such as audio quality) in how they encoded the vid.

I highly recommend this movie for family camp viewing:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0015873/

It's a silent movie documentary from 1925, recently updated by adding a soundtrack of Middle Eastern music. Really great movie.

The full movie used to be on Youtube, but I guess it got pulled over a copyright complaint. The couple of previews on Youtube now are pretty cheesy and don't do justice to the movie at all.

Last edited:

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Another intesting resource is the Perlinger Archives which are all the old cool black & white films we used to see
https://archive.org/details/prelinger

Wheels Across Africa (get all parts)
Rough Road to Panama and Rough Road to Camp Horn (search threads here)
Corvair crosses the Darian

And a ton of short films that are fun to watch and talk about then vs now.

green73brc

Observer
Well this is very interesting to me also. I have 4 boys in a 4.5 year span. This is the one "cheat" i feel like we do camping. Watching a movie at night. It makes bed time so much easier and allows me to clean up from dinner and the day without making mom go crazy. What we have been doing is using our android tablet and downloading the disney movies we own with a tie in to google play an disney. However this year we are going on another 3 week + trip and the 5 disney movies are not going to cut it.

Currently google play downloads animated films with what seems to be 720 at around .5 gigs.

I was looking at the kindle 6/7 and trying to figure out if I could root it or run int with amazon prime.

loren85022

Explorer
Greetings from Loreto, Mx. We are half way thru our trip. Just wanted to comment on The plan of action I took. I ended up buying the 32 gig version of the SanDisk multi media player. Approximately $60. This little memory storage device is also a Wi-Fi transmitter. So we uploaded perhaps 18 movies. Once activated, all of our devices can see the transmitting Wi-Fi signal. From the app, you can simply select a movie and let play. It hasn't gone dead on us yet, but we did charge it about every third or fourth night.

It has an SD slot, so we are using it to upload and store our photos as we go as well.

a2fdb43fd38daa04028ed3a94c76bf11.jpg

Sent from my iToaster

SoCal Tom

Explorer
I use a roku 2xs. It can stream movies from a usb drive. I make digital copies of movies or tv shows and put them on the drive.
To,

kj4vyi

I had done this a while back with some of the movies that i bought and did the "digital download " code to be able to use it on the ipad but the dang movies came out to be almost 4 gigs a piece - f that
i meet this " buddy " and got some of my movies that i "own " into a smaller size around 700 megabyte and can load up a bunch and have plenty of nights to watch movies while laying in the tent to chill out
I do like the sandisk wifi thing may have to look in to picking one of these up

Thanks
Chad
KJ4VYI

Last edited:

RKRUGER

Adventurer- Toyota Nut
Based on the thread I bought a 32Gb version of this at Christmas and added a 64Gb card. It had exceeded expectations. It can also be utilized as WiFi extender around home

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles